What's So Bad About Sharia Law?

Please stop with the pretense that Islam and Christianity are practically the same. I guess they would be exactly the same if the Koran taught Muslims, as the NT teaches Christians, that politics and faith are separate things. Or if the Koran taught muslims to turn the other cheek. Or if the Koran taught muslims to love their enemies.

But it doesn't, now, does it?

How do you feel about 'an eye for an eye'?

I feel much more comfortable with it than Sharia Law!

An eye for an eye means, the punishment should fit the crime.
Constitutional law says you are innocent until proven guilty, and have the right to face your accuser in a court of Law.
Sharia Law says you are guilty with no opportunity to prove your innocence.

Sharia Law trumps Constitutional Law for those who practice it. It is an unbalanced power.

Listening to Christians on the news trying to get Christian interpretations of religious laws into civil law (homosexuality, abortion, women's rights, etc.) I can't help but wonder why if they want that they'd oppose Sharia. Isn't Sharia religious law based on Islam, and isn't Islam almost entirely based on Judaism just like Christianity? You'd think if Christians want religious law in civil law they'd welcome Sharia law. If it's really about pleasing God, and not just seizing power for themselves, you'd think Christians would welcome anything that gets God's law into civil law. And Sharia stands a much better chance of doing that than Christianity.

I have no problem with Sharia law so long as it is voluntary, at least in this country. If enough people want to pass a law based upon Sharia, that is ok as well. So long as it falls within the Constitution.

Laws aren't voluntary I think is the point. :) Many religious laws are already in civil law, they're just not credited as having come from religious laws. Like murder and theft.
Many laws come from what is called "natural law".

Everybody knows that.

If that were true homosexuality wouldn't be a thing since pleanty of other animals exhibit it thereby defining it as completely natural.
Uh, I believe we distinguish ourselves from the animal kingdom.

The noble lion will kill every cub in a pride when he takes it over.

By extrapolation, a man marrying a woman with children could be justified in killing all of them.

But, we know the purpose of the OP; you fool no one.

They are the same in that they are both religions.

But they are NOT the same in their ideology, or application..

So what? Neither are Jehovah's Witnesses and Unitarians. You can believe anything you like, worship any God you like, follow any laws you like. So long as it falls under the Constitution, you are good to go. People who follow Sharia Law have as much right to expressing their beliefs and attempting to influence civil law as anyone else.

Sharia law in and of itself is a violation of the constitution.

I don't care if they express their beliefs, incidentally. My objection was to lumping Christianity in with Sharia Law as if they're the same thing. They aren't.

Sharia law is not a violation of the Constitution. That is absurd.

I never said Christianity is the same as Islam. Nor is it the same as Hinduism or Buddhism. But this is a nation of law and under the law they are all equal. Your personal preferences are just that, personal.

So what? Neither are Jehovah's Witnesses and Unitarians. You can believe anything you like, worship any God you like, follow any laws you like. So long as it falls under the Constitution, you are good to go. People who follow Sharia Law have as much right to expressing their beliefs and attempting to influence civil law as anyone else.
Attempt to influence, yes.

Impose, no.

Listening to Christians on the news trying to get Christian interpretations of religious laws into civil law (homosexuality, abortion, women's rights, etc.) I can't help but wonder why if they want that they'd oppose Sharia. Isn't Sharia religious law based on Islam, and isn't Islam almost entirely based on Judaism just like Christianity? You'd think if Christians want religious law in civil law they'd welcome Sharia law. If it's really about pleasing God, and not just seizing power for themselves, you'd think Christians would welcome anything that gets God's law into civil law. And Sharia stands a much better chance of doing that than Christianity.
Put the qualifier "Fundamentalist" before any religion and you get, essentially, the same line of thinking.

Please stop with the pretense that Islam and Christianity are practically the same. I guess they would be exactly the same if the Koran taught Muslims, as the NT teaches Christians, that politics and faith are separate things. Or if the Koran taught muslims to turn the other cheek. Or if the Koran taught muslims to love their enemies.

But it doesn't, now, does it?

How do you feel about 'an eye for an eye'?

I feel much more comfortable with it than Sharia Law!

An eye for an eye means, the punishment should fit the crime.
Constitutional law says you are innocent until proven guilty, and have the right to face your accuser in a court of Law.
Sharia Law says you are guilty with no opportunity to prove you innocence.

Sharia Law trumps Constitutional Law for those who practice it. It is an unbalanced power.

And Catholic doctrine trumps Constitutional law for those who practice it. It may be unbalanced, but it is voluntary. At least here.

Attempt to influence, yes.

Impose, no.

You mean they can attempt so long as they don't succeed?

Its the punishment they oppose, not the same as having had Jesus die for your sins !
(The Christianity I practice is not based on Judaism)
Not based in/on Judaism? Interesting... being that Christ was their messiah and all. I heard he was Jewish too, though...

Here is where a man ran over his daughter with his car until she was dead because she had become too Americanized after they moved to America. The Constitution did nothing to save her, and she was not innocent until she was proven guilty. Honor killings found her guilty, and a Lexus carried out her sentence.

Put the qualifier "Fundamentalist" before any religion and you get, essentially, the same line of thinking.

Not really. In this country, progressive douchebags put the word "fundamentalist" in front of the majority of Christian churches, and that, combined with their eternal lament that fundies abound in ALL religions, they marginalize and criminalize the majority of Christians in this nation.

Just because YOU call someone a *fundy* doesn't make them one...and being called a *fundy Christian* by a lunatic fringe progressive baby killer does not make that person *the same as* a bomb-strapped sharia nutbar, magically, just via the invocation of the word "fundy" by anti-Chrsitian zealots.

You one of those guys that wants to screw 8 year olds, like Mohammed?

That is a false story about Mohammed. I'm a Christian as a way of life, but I still do not like false stories going around about people. Perhaps 11 or 12 or about there, no different than the Jews.

Its the punishment they oppose, not the same as having had Jesus die for your sins !
Not based in/on Judaism? Interesting... being that Christ was their messiah and all. I heard he was Jewish too, though...

Jesus was a man of God, he was not their messiah, and he was not born of a virgin. I follow his teachings which had little to do with Judaism, except for the ritual traditions, but the thought was different.

Not really. In this country, progressive douchebags put the word "fundamentalist" in front of the majority of Christian churches, and that, combined with their eternal lament that fundies abound in ALL religions, they marginalize and criminalize the majority of Christians in this nation.

Just because YOU call someone a *fundy* doesn't make them one...and being called a *fundy Christian* by a lunatic fringe progressive baby killer does not make that person *the same as* a bomb-strapped sharia nutbar, magically, just via the invocation of the word "fundy" by anti-Chrsitian zealots.
Q.E.D.

11 or 12, oh, that makes it ok?

11 or 12 here will get you 25 to life, and if you should get out, a big sign in your yard.

But it was 8.

Here is where a man ran over his daughter with his car until she was dead because she had become too Americanized after they moved to America. The Constitution did nothing to save her, and she was not innocent until she was proven guilty. Honor killings found her guilty, and a Lexus carried out her sentence.

That is murder. It's against the law. What happened to the father?

It isn't "law" as exists in the West.

11 or 12 here will get you 25 to life, and if you should get out, a big sign in your yard.

But it was 8.

But it was 8.

He may of married her at 8 or she was promised to him, but read some history, the Jews tooks wifes at 11 on. Today you get charged and King Solomon were on been in prison, and David may of got a needle up his arm.

Jesus was a man of God, he was not their messiah, and he was not born of a virgin. I follow his teachings which had little to do with Judaism, except for the ritual traditions, but the thought was different.

Christ was the Messiah.
He was born of a virgin.
And he was a Jew.

You are equating Christians opposing gay marriage (but not human rights of gays), pro-life and NO they're against women's rights (that is defamation and you should be ashamed of such a weak argument) to the tenants of a repressive ideology?

34 tenants of Sharia Law (yes Delta after reading it you should retract your dishonorable attack on Christians):

http://www.wnd.com/2010/08/196041/
1- Jihad, defined as "to war against non-Muslims to establish the religion," is the duty of every Muslim and Muslim head of state (Caliph). Muslim Caliphs who refuse jihad are in violation of Sharia and unfit to rule.

2- A Caliph can hold office through seizure of power meaning through force.

3- A Caliph is exempt from being charged with serious crimes such as murder, adultery, robbery, theft, drinking and in some cases of rape.

4- A percentage of Zakat (charity money) must go towards jihad.

5- It is obligatory to obey the commands of the Caliph, even if he is unju

6- A caliph must be a Muslim, a non-slave and a male.

7- The Muslim public must remove the Caliph if he rejects Islam.

8- A Muslim who leaves Islam must be killed immediately.

9- A Muslim will be forgiven for murder of: 1) an apostate 2) an adulterer 3) a highway robber. Vigilante street justice and honor killing is acceptable.

10- A Muslim will not get the death penalty if he kills a non-Muslim, but will get it for killing a Muslim.

11- Sharia never abolished slavery, sexual slavery and highly regulates it. A master will not be punished for killing his slave.

12- Sharia dictates death by stoning, beheading, amputation of limbs, flogging even for crimes of sin such as adultery.

13- Non-Muslims are not equal to Muslims under the law. They must comply to Islamic law if they are to remain safe. They are forbidden to marry Muslim women, publicly display wine or pork, recite their scriptures or openly celebrate their religious holidays or funerals. They are forbidden from building new churches or building them higher than mosques. They may not enter a mosque without permission. A non-Muslim is no longer protected if he leads a Muslim away from Islam.

14- It is a crime for a non-Muslim to sell weapons to someone who will use them against Muslims. Non-Muslims cannot curse a Muslim, say anything derogatory about Allah, the Prophet, or Islam, or expose the weak points of Muslims. But Muslims can curse non-Muslims.

15- A non-Muslim cannot inherit from a Muslim.

16- Banks must be Sharia compliant and interest is not allowed.

17- No testimony in court is acceptable from people of low-level jobs, such as street sweepers or bathhouse attendants. Women in low level jobs such as professional funeral mourners cannot keep custody of their children in case of divorce.

18- A non-Muslim cannot rule -- even over a non-Muslim minority.
19- Homosexuality is punishable by death.

20- There is no age limit for marriage of girls. The marriage contract can take place anytime after birth and can be consummated at age 8 or 9.

21- Rebelliousness on the part of the wife nullifies the husband's obligation to support her, gives him permission to beat her and keep her from leaving the home.

22- Divorce is only in the hands of the husband and is as easy as saying: "I divorce you" and becomes effective even if the husband did not intend it.

23- There is no community property between husband and wife and the husband's property does not automatically go to the wife after his death.

24- A woman inherits half what a man inherits.

25- A man has the right to have up to 4 wives and none of them have a right to divorce him -- even if he is polygamous.
26- The dowry is given in exchange for the woman's sexual organs.

27- A man is allowed to have sex with slave women and women captured in battle, and if the enslaved woman is married her marriage is annulled.

28- The testimony of a woman in court is half the value of a man.
  • 29 - A woman loses custody if she remarries.
  • 30 - To prove rape, a woman must have four male witnesses.
31- A rapist may only be required to pay the bride-money (dowry) without marrying the rape victim.

32- A Muslim woman must cover every inch of her body, which is considered "Awrah," a sexual organ. Not all Sharia schools allow the face of a woman exposed.

33- A Muslim man is forgiven if he kills his wife at the time he caught her in the act of adultery. However, the opposite is not true for women, since the man "could be married to the woman he was caught with."

34- It is obligatory for a Muslim to lie if the purpose is obligatory. That means that for the sake of abiding with Islam's commandments, such as jihad, a Muslim is obliged to lie and should not have any feelings of guilt or shame associated with this kind of lying
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

[QUOTE="Vastator, post: 10074068, member:

I am fascinated Penelope----you are telling us something about yourself---
you seem to believe that you follow the teachings of Jesus-------but clearly
do not believe the Christian concept of trinity. OK that's something----
as to Judaism ----you have already demonstrated that you know nothing
at all about Judaism. It is not at all clear to me just what you call
"the teachings of Jesus" --------"the thought was different" is not a useful
phrase-----it means nothing-----but suggests that you imagine that Jesus
had a teaching at odds with Judaism--------ok----WHAT WAS THAT?

Forum List

Back