What's on your Thanksgiving menu?

o same here...we do at most a small turkey breast.....sweet taters and crandberry sauce....eating with friends will be interesting..

78 you go

o i made one....here it is
logfin.jpg

I've had elaborate Thanksgiving meals in my life. Now, at 78 years old I tend to keep it simple. Roasting a whole turkey for just my wife and I didn't make sense, so I purchased some sliced turkey breast from the Winn Dixie deli. I will make a gravy using a prepared roast turkey gravy and some cream of mushroom soup. I have some left over cornbread dressing which will do just fine. I will also roast some acorn squash. There will be cranberry sauce of course. I made mine with whole-berry cranberry sauce and pink grapefruit. For my wife, instead of using pink grapefruit I used chopped celery and chopped walnuts. For dessert I made a pumpkin pudding. It may not sound like much to you guys and gals, but my wife and I will enjoy the day in our own quiet and simple way.
That sounds perfectly delicious and it's clearly appropriate to the situation. TY for sharing your menu with us.

I've had elaborate Thanksgiving meals in my life. Now, at 78 years old I tend to keep it simple.

Were I 78, I'd contribute to someone else's elaborate spread, and I'd eat elaborate holiday meals. I'd even be willing to have one catered -- by my family members or by professionals -- in my home, but I suspect there's no way I'd take on preparing one. LOL

I'm having a fairly large number of people for Thanksgiving, so there's a lot of stuff on my menu, but most of it is fairly conventional.
  • Seafood soup
  • French onion soup
  • Turkey -- one roasted and one deep fried
  • Pork shoulder
  • Beef short ribs
  • Roast duck
  • Crab cakes/balls (Maryland style) -- fried into balls for appetizers, broiled as cakes for the main meal
  • St. Andre mashed potatoes
  • Butternut and acorn squash
  • Truffled mac and cheese
  • Candied sweet potatoes
  • Homemade rolls
  • Apple, caramelized onion, bacon, Stilton and spinach salad with a choice of champagne or balsamic vinaigrette
  • Collard greens
  • Sauteed haricot verts and carrots with morels, bacon and onion
  • Sauteed cabbage
  • Pound cake
  • Apple pie
  • Homemade ice cream and sorbet
  • Fruit tarts
  • Assorted sliced/balled fresh fruit and shaved chocolates folks care to top with whatever liqueur-flavored whipped creams (I set up a "station" next to a small sink with the booze, sugar, chilled mixing containers, a couple blenders, and let folks make the whipped cream of their choice) -- Chambord, Cointreau, calvados, Pastis, mint, sloe, Frangelico, amaretto, coconut, Domain de Canton, Mathilde, Prucia, coffee, and Agwa Bolivia -- and drizzle accordingly with whatever liqueurs suit the individual eating it.
  • Various wines, aperitifs, champagne, beer and liquor
  • Jelly Belly jellybeans

Of course, having all that food makes for great leftovers for the next few weeks, and there's no way I'm not going to enjoy inventing new things to make from the leftover T-giving meal. Hell, doing that is half the reason I offer to host holiday season gatherings.

Of course, for every joy, there is also some pain; nothing comes for free and without consequences. As goes eating comfort food for six weeks or so, the pain is the extra aerobics one must do to keep fit while eating that kind of food. To do that, from this week to the end of next January, I have to increase my aerobic activity from about 30 minutes of daily running to an hour of rope jumping daily and 30 minutes of swimming laps. I like to eat what I want when I want and my regular exercise regimen isn't designed to burn as much fatty and fattening food as I will be eating between now and New Years. I didn't have to push quite as hard on the aerobic thirty years ago when my metabolism ran much higher, but this holiday season is not the one from thirty years ago, so I gotta do what I gotta do. As I said, nothing's free.

Happy "Turkey Day" everyone.

I just don't have the kinda of heavy eating crowd that you apparently do. Would be overkill to have such a wonderful expansive offering. But I do vary it up every year subtlety. Like a thrice cooked green bean dish that this year was prepared hot skillet asian style with black beans, bacon, mushrooms, garlic, wine, pine nuts and a dose of cayenne pepper. It surprised ME when it come out.

Or the corn muffin recipe that I fuss with constantly. Finding a different kind of creamed corn to add into the recipe and getting the liquids just right. Love to use corn flakes mixed in the stuffing with Italian Sausage and mushrooms.

It's the little victories when stuff comes better that makes me happy.

Averted a huge disaster when I realized that 20 minutes into turkey baking, I forgot to inject the beast with the butter rum mixture that I use. It's subtle, but it makes everybody eat the white meat. :biggrin:

Going hoity-toity French this year. There will be snails.

Oh I could throw up!

I eat everything edible except peas. Hate effing peas.
Can't say there's much I absolutely won't eat other than fermented tofu. I can do without artichoke and asparagus, but I'll eat them if someone serves them.

I have a thing about "A" vegetables also. Hardly any that start with that letter than I like.

Did James get to cook it? Lol

Oh I could throw up!

I'm not much for seafoods. I think shrimp are ocean grubs and lobsters are ocean spiders. Gives me the willies!

We never thought we would go to a restaurant but decided to this year since it's just me, James and my brother.

Then James forgot and bought ham, turkey and all the fixings! :)

Turkey for sure ...

oh yes....

and music....like ...."Cold Blooded Love" that I have posted elsewhere.

Two turkeys
Mashed potatoes
Yellow squash casserole
Sweet potatoe soufflé
Green beans
Pineapple casserole
Crock pot macoroni
Dressing
Collard greens
Rolls
Lots of gravy
Derby pie
Pumpkin pie
Pecan pie
Pumpkin cake
Ice tea

93 year old gram-4 year old twins

The triptafin kicked in big time after dinner

Much to be thankful for

Turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, macaroni and cheese, cranberry sauce, deviled eggs, biscuits.

Oh, apple and pecan pie.

We all shared cooking, my kids and I.

Last edited:
Did James get to cook it? Lol

Oh I could throw up!

I'm not much for seafoods. I think shrimp are ocean grubs and lobsters are ocean spiders. Gives me the willies!

We never thought we would go to a restaurant but decided to this year since it's just me, James and my brother.

Then James forgot and bought ham, turkey and all the fixings! :)

LOL!
After so many years together we no longer snipe at one another and beat each other with cooking utensils. I make the stuffing and James stuffs the bird and anything else that needs doing. Even after getting to this age, I still hate handling meat. I'll pick up a steak like it's a radioactive baby pooped diaper. I do everything else but for a couple things I make my brother help with. Still in the beat with kitchen utensils with that one.

Turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, macaroni and cheese, cranberry sauce, deviled eggs, biscuits.

Oh, apple and pecan pie.

I'm jelly!

0 deviled eggs this year.

We had umm,Turkey, real cornbread stuffing, real mashed, real gravy, straight up fresh green beans with salt pork, and hot buttered rolls. ( I was in charge of buttering) Oh yeah ,and Ham n sweet taters, and Ambrosia. Pecan, apple pie, caramel cake. :rolleyes:

No deviled eggs! :blowup:

...one more thing...for the turkey I got apple sauce....and I love that combination....

So its turkey with lots of apple sauce and potato wedges and lots of salad ....

Very delicious! hmmmmm

Happy Thanksgiving diner everybody!:D

Oh, apple and pecan pie.

I'm jelly!

0 deviled eggs this year.

We had umm,Turkey, real cornbread stuffing, real mashed, real gravy, straight up fresh green beans with salt pork, and hot buttered rolls. Oh yeah ,and Ham n sweet taters, and Ambrosia. Pecan, apple pie, caramel cake. :rolleyes:

No deviled eggs! :blowup:

My daughter insists. Before she started making them, deviled eggs were only for Easter!

I'm having a fairly large number of people for Thanksgiving, so there's a lot of stuff on my menu, but most of it is fairly conventional.
  • Seafood soup
  • French onion soup
  • Turkey -- one roasted and one deep fried
  • Pork shoulder
  • Beef short ribs
  • Roast duck
  • Crab cakes/balls (Maryland style) -- fried into balls for appetizers, broiled as cakes for the main meal
  • St. Andre mashed potatoes
  • Butternut and acorn squash
  • Truffled mac and cheese
  • Candied sweet potatoes
  • Homemade rolls
  • Apple, caramelized onion, bacon, Stilton and spinach salad with a choice of champagne or balsamic vinaigrette
  • Collard greens
  • Sauteed haricot verts and carrots with morels, bacon and onion
  • Sauteed cabbage
  • Pound cake
  • Apple pie
  • Homemade ice cream and sorbet
  • Fruit tarts
  • Assorted sliced/balled fresh fruit and shaved chocolates folks care to top with whatever liqueur-flavored whipped creams (I set up a "station" next to a small sink with the booze, sugar, chilled mixing containers, a couple blenders, and let folks make the whipped cream of their choice) -- Chambord, Cointreau, calvados, Pastis, mint, sloe, Frangelico, amaretto, coconut, Domain de Canton, Mathilde, Prucia, coffee, and Agwa Bolivia -- and drizzle accordingly with whatever liqueurs suit the individual eating it.
  • Various wines, aperitifs, champagne, beer and liquor
  • Jelly Belly jellybeans

Of course, having all that food makes for great leftovers for the next few weeks, and there's no way I'm not going to enjoy inventing new things to make from the leftover T-giving meal. Hell, doing that is half the reason I offer to host holiday season gatherings.

Of course, for every joy, there is also some pain; nothing comes for free and without consequences. As goes eating comfort food for six weeks or so, the pain is the extra aerobics one must do to keep fit while eating that kind of food. To do that, from this week to the end of next January, I have to increase my aerobic activity from about 30 minutes of daily running to an hour of rope jumping daily and 30 minutes of swimming laps. I like to eat what I want when I want and my regular exercise regimen isn't designed to burn as much fatty and fattening food as I will be eating between now and New Years. I didn't have to push quite as hard on the aerobic thirty years ago when my metabolism ran much higher, but this holiday season is not the one from thirty years ago, so I gotta do what I gotta do. As I said, nothing's free.

Happy "Turkey Day" everyone.
Sounds yummy.

I don't like big horizontally integrated feasts like that.

I prefer either turkey or ham or goose or beef roast or lamb etc.

Only one thing but lots of it.

I prefer yams over regular potatoes and candied yams especially for thanksgiving. You don't need gravy for yams.

I like fresh cranberries and cream rather than canned "sauce".

Almost any vegie that goes with the meat is fine with me. My favorite vegies are the Asian stir fry medly.

Red or white wine that goes with the meat is ideal. I don't know if the Pilgrims were teetotalers however. Wine helps the digestion.

Pumpkin or pecan pie for dessert. With or without whipped cream.

No talk of politics or religion. This includes the absurdities of Trump to date -- that does not count as comedy.

My sister and I both had to work today. I am an armed guard and she is a nurse. But we both have Friday off so we will have a big roasted ham tomorrow in the true ancient Greek tradition.

Forum List

Back