Poverty food

The sad thing is people on bridge cards can afford to eat better than hard working lower middle class people

temp2_0237093b4bd883a333ed993cb0af6bfb082555e0.jpg
make a cut halfway across the baloney and it wont swell up like that

Ugh- no!

When my little brother and I were kidlins, mom lost her mind and gave us split pea soup for lunch once. Whaaa?

I spent a goodly amount of time sneaking my soup into his soup by the spoonful every time she turned her back.

The green trail of pea soup droplets gave me away and I got a brain duster for my trouble.

If James and I somehow ended up with bowls of split pea soup, I'd do it again.

Split pea soup is like butternut squash. It is just a base. If that is all you do with it, then it isn't going to have much flavor to it. I do a split pea and sausage soup that is pretty tasty. Butternut squash I still have a hard time coming up with an upscale combination of flavors to layer into it to not have it as mostly that odd flavored butternut squash as the dominant thing on the palate.

Potatoes, cabbage, Spam, garlic powder and salt.
^^^ Made this last night.

5 medium russets peeled & cubed

1 head of cabbage washed, cored & quartered

½ can Great Value luncheon loaf (Spam) small chunked.

1 onion diced

2 pork bullion cubes, crushed

1.5 cups water

6qt instant pot... Recipe called for 3 minutes...I did 6 which was a little too much but fine. Next time I'll try 4.

5 minute natural release.

I did a dump and go straight to pressure but you could saute the spam onion and even cabbage...then pressure cook.

Optional...I added a water & cornstarch slurry to create a thicker broth.

.75 for potatoes, .50 onion, 2.00 for cabbage (.62/# x 3), 1.00 for spam (1.92/can /2) and .75 for bullion and cornstarch

$5 feeds five people twice.

Screenshot_20230122-140435-565.png

Not the recipe exactly ... but the approximate nutrition.

^^^ Made this last night.

5 medium russets peeled & cubed

1 head of cabbage washed, cored & quartered

½ can Great Value luncheon loaf (Spam) small chunked.

1 onion diced

2 pork bullion cubes, crushed

1.5 cups water

6qt instant pot... Recipe called for 3 minutes...I did 6 which was a little too much but fine. Next time I'll try 4.

5 minute natural release.

I did a dump and go straight to pressure but you could saute the spam onion and even cabbage...then pressure cook.

Optional...I added a water & cornstarch slurry to create a thicker broth.

.75 for potatoes, .50 onion, 2.00 for cabbage (.62/# x 3), 1.00 for spam (1.92/can /2) and .75 for bullion and cornstarch

$5 feeds five people twice.

View attachment 749755

Not the recipe exactly ... but the approximate nutrition.

Like a good lasagna... this was even better the next day. :thup:

make a cut halfway across the baloney and it wont swell up like that
Teh fried bologna!

I gotta toaster oven, set it on "2" per side and it comes out perfect.

There's a lb 1/2 of really good stuff in the freezer right now. Best baloney I've ever seen.

Hafta dip into it if my nitrite levels start feelin' low.

Until then I have a pound of ham to eat.

Real ham. I got a 10 lb spiral-sliced "pecan-glazed" ham for $9.

I didn't do anything to it because it was for soup. Literally yanked the bone out and put the rest up for later and that's it.

So it's kinda abnormally juicy..toaster oven fixes that. Also browns it a little bit, which is nice..

Last edited:
Oooo..I bet y'all don't know about chicken neckbones n rice.

I can take pork neckbones n rice, that's not too bad, but chicken neckbones..blah!

New Topics

Forum List

Back