What's on your Thanksgiving menu?

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
I'm having a fairly large number of people for Thanksgiving, so there's a lot of stuff on my menu, but most of it is fairly conventional.
  • Seafood soup
  • French onion soup
  • Turkey -- one roasted and one deep fried
  • Pork shoulder
  • Beef short ribs
  • Roast duck
  • Crab cakes/balls (Maryland style) -- fried into balls for appetizers, broiled as cakes for the main meal
  • St. Andre mashed potatoes
  • Butternut and acorn squash
  • Truffled mac and cheese
  • Candied sweet potatoes
  • Homemade rolls
  • Apple, caramelized onion, bacon, Stilton and spinach salad with a choice of champagne or balsamic vinaigrette
  • Collard greens
  • Sauteed haricot verts and carrots with morels, bacon and onion
  • Sauteed cabbage
  • Pound cake
  • Apple pie
  • Homemade ice cream and sorbet
  • Fruit tarts
  • Assorted sliced/balled fresh fruit and shaved chocolates folks care to top with whatever liqueur-flavored whipped creams (I set up a "station" next to a small sink with the booze, sugar, chilled mixing containers, a couple blenders, and let folks make the whipped cream of their choice) -- Chambord, Cointreau, calvados, Pastis, mint, sloe, Frangelico, amaretto, coconut, Domain de Canton, Mathilde, Prucia, coffee, and Agwa Bolivia -- and drizzle accordingly with whatever liqueurs suit the individual eating it.
  • Various wines, aperitifs, champagne, beer and liquor
  • Jelly Belly jellybeans

Of course, having all that food makes for great leftovers for the next few weeks, and there's no way I'm not going to enjoy inventing new things to make from the leftover T-giving meal. Hell, doing that is half the reason I offer to host holiday season gatherings.

Of course, for every joy, there is also some pain; nothing comes for free and without consequences. As goes eating comfort food for six weeks or so, the pain is the extra aerobics one must do to keep fit while eating that kind of food. To do that, from this week to the end of next January, I have to increase my aerobic activity from about 30 minutes of daily running to an hour of rope jumping daily and 30 minutes of swimming laps. I like to eat what I want when I want and my regular exercise regimen isn't designed to burn as much fatty and fattening food as I will be eating between now and New Years. I didn't have to push quite as hard on the aerobic thirty years ago when my metabolism ran much higher, but this holiday season is not the one from thirty years ago, so I gotta do what I gotta do. As I said, nothing's free.

Happy "Turkey Day" everyone.

My family hasn't done turkey in many years. We do BBQ tri-tip, sea food (i.e., tuna sashimi or lobster one year) and lots of sides that are both American and Asian such as kimchi, bok choy, cornbread, stuffing, brussell sprouts, etc. Almost all of it made from scratch, including the cornbread.
You mill your own corn?

Happy Thanksgiving!

That's a crazy amount of food. That would feed 70% of the people in the little town we live near.

I'm having a fairly large number of people for Thanksgiving, so there's a lot of stuff on my menu, but most of it is fairly conventional.
  • Seafood soup
  • French onion soup
  • Turkey -- one roasted and one deep fried
  • Pork shoulder
  • Beef short ribs
  • Roast duck
  • Crab cakes/balls (Maryland style) -- fried into balls for appetizers, broiled as cakes for the main meal
  • St. Andre mashed potatoes
  • Butternut and acorn squash
  • Truffled mac and cheese
  • Candied sweet potatoes
  • Homemade rolls
  • Apple, caramelized onion, bacon, Stilton and spinach salad with a choice of champagne or balsamic vinaigrette
  • Collard greens
  • Sauteed haricot verts and carrots with morels, bacon and onion
  • Sauteed cabbage
  • Pound cake
  • Apple pie
  • Homemade ice cream and sorbet
  • Fruit tarts
  • Assorted sliced/balled fresh fruit and shaved chocolates folks care to top with whatever liqueur-flavored whipped creams (I set up a "station" next to a small sink with the booze, sugar, chilled mixing containers, a couple blenders, and let folks make the whipped cream of their choice) -- Chambord, Cointreau, calvados, Pastis, mint, sloe, Frangelico, amaretto, coconut, Domain de Canton, Mathilde, Prucia, coffee, and Agwa Bolivia -- and drizzle accordingly with whatever liqueurs suit the individual eating it.
  • Various wines, aperitifs, champagne, beer and liquor
  • Jelly Belly jellybeans

Of course, having all that food makes for great leftovers for the next few weeks, and there's no way I'm not going to enjoy inventing new things to make from the leftover T-giving meal. Hell, doing that is half the reason I offer to host holiday season gatherings.

Of course, for every joy, there is also some pain; nothing comes for free and without consequences. As goes eating comfort food for six weeks or so, the pain is the extra aerobics one must do to keep fit while eating that kind of food. To do that, from this week to the end of next January, I have to increase my aerobic activity from about 30 minutes of daily running to an hour of rope jumping daily and 30 minutes of swimming laps. I like to eat what I want when I want and my regular exercise regimen isn't designed to burn as much fatty and fattening food as I will be eating between now and New Years. I didn't have to push quite as hard on the aerobic thirty years ago when my metabolism ran much higher, but this holiday season is not the one from thirty years ago, so I gotta do what I gotta do. As I said, nothing's free.

Happy "Turkey Day" everyone.

Wow you Americans really do your holidays proper. That's an exhaustive list.

My family hasn't done turkey in many years. We do BBQ tri-tip, sea food (i.e., tuna sashimi or lobster one year) and lots of sides that are both American and Asian such as kimchi, bok choy, cornbread, stuffing, brussell sprouts, etc. Almost all of it made from scratch, including the cornbread.
You mill your own corn?

Whatever is on the restaurants holiday menu.

The girls, wife and daughters, decided they were tired of the preparation and cleanup for 21 people

You mill your own corn?

Whatever is on the restaurants holiday menu.

The girls, wife and daughters, decided they were tired of the preparation and cleanup for 21 people
We've gone Chinese for decades...

Happy Thanksgiving!

That's a crazy amount of food. That would feed 70% of the people in the little town we live near.

LOL

FWIW, I'm expecting 24 people and cooking for 30...mainly to make sure I have leftovers and just in case folks bring others and didn't let me know in advance. (My kids will do that at the drop of a hat.)

Last edited:
You mill your own corn?

Jokes aside. My sister bakes the cornbread, and her husband catches the sea food while deep sea fishing.

You mill your own corn?

Jokes aside. My sister bakes the cornbread, and her husband catches the sea food while deep sea fishing.
But no grinding?

You mill your own corn?

But no grinding?

We get our oxen to grind with a mill.

Family tradition, turkey dinner with all the fixins at our house with all my grown children, their children and assorted friends and whoever else feels like showing up.

Good times and perfect pumpkin pie...

Happy Thanksgiving!

LOL

FWIW, I'm expecting 24 people and cooking for 30...mainly to make sure I have leftovers and just in case folks bring others and didn't let me know in advance. (My kids will do that at the drop of a hat.)

And I am sure the price of sitting down at your table will include a tirade about Trump....I suggest that your guests bring ear plugs. LOL!

Going hoity-toity French this year. There will be snails.

Oh I could throw up!

I eat everything edible except peas. Hate effing peas.

I'm not much for seafoods. I think shrimp are ocean grubs and lobsters are ocean spiders. Gives me the willies!

We never thought we would go to a restaurant but decided to this year since it's just me, James and my brother.

Then James forgot and bought ham, turkey and all the fixings! :)

Forum List

Back