What the Bible Says about Prayer Versus Reality

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
Reality verses magical thinking

Most people know that prayer doesn’t have the dramatic effects these Bible verses seem to suggest. It seems rather easy to point out that if prayer worked that well, Christians wouldn’t have needed to convert Europe and later Latin America to Christianity at sword-point; they could have simply prayed and preached, “for the word of God is quick and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword” (Hebrews 4:12).

Alternet and an atheist trying to tell Christians about prayer? Oh me achin ribs.
A burning cross behind the American flag as your avatar? I always thought you were creepy. But this is worse.

A burning cross? Gawd you're stupid, Derp and you see things that are not there

Do you ever tire of being made to look really stupid, Derp? I mean really.

Alternet and an atheist trying to tell Christians about prayer? Oh me achin ribs.
A burning cross behind the American flag as your avatar? I always thought you were creepy. But this is worse.

A burning cross? Gawd you're stupid, Derp and you see things that are not there

Do you ever tire of being made to look really stupid, Derp? I mean really.
Come on, be proud of who you are.

Derp, derp ,derp...made to look stupid again. You're child's play, Derp. Too easy because you're as stupid as a stump

You have God confused with Santa, Guno. Wish lists are one thing. His will may be another. Pray His will be done, and then rest in His very capable hands.
Philippians 4:6
“Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

The effectual fervent prayer of the righteous man avails much.

Most people know that prayer doesn’t have the dramatic effects these Bible verses seem to suggest. It seems rather easy to point out that if prayer worked that well, Christians wouldn’t have needed to convert Europe and later Latin America to Christianity at sword-point; they could have simply prayed and preached, “for the word of God is quick and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword” (Hebrews 4:12).

Being prayerful changes the fabric of one's identity. You should try it. It can't hurt. The reality is that when we pray, God does not do it for us. He puts us in a position to do it for ourselves. I scanned some of your comments. You are not at peace. You are not happy. Happiness leads to success. Success does not lead to happiness. At any point in your life, you are the sum of your choices. Choose wisely.

There's no proof that even if there is a creator, that said creator wants us to obey it and/or follow a bunch of arbitrary rules of conduct not aligned with the laws of nature or otherwise.

There's no proof that even if there is a creator, that said creator wants us to obey it and/or follow a bunch of arbitrary rules of conduct not aligned with the laws of nature or otherwise.
The proof is that you won't mock Him.

Those who wish to discuss science and proofs, may be more suited to another forum. Religion, God, and ethics are philosophy based, not science based. Would you discuss English grammar in a math forum?

The proof is that you won't mock Him.
Who? Your douchesack invisible friend who's afraid to show herself?

Those who wish to discuss science and proofs, may be more suited to another forum. Religion, God, and ethics are philosophy based, not science based. Would you discuss English grammar in a math forum?
Maybe you should head over to the fantasy section.

Many read the Bible without that magical lens. In fact, I contend that scripture is better understood when one is firmly grounded in reality. There is the world versus our each individual world. My world, while vast, does not extend over the entire planet. The only thing believers need to be concerned with is being an Ambassador for God and pray for the needs in his/her own world.

Forum List

Back