What sort of education are public school students entitled to?

Some of these districts get the same total amount of money but much of it is spent on law enforcement. If they can reduce their crime rate perhaps there will be more money for education.
The thing is school districts in cities have more students so the same amount of money doesn't go as far

The man is a fool. The only just solution, indeed, the only solution compatible with the imperatives of natural and constitutional law, is universal school choice.
Public schools should have school choice just like private schools do. The right to choose what students they will accept and/or keep. The right to choose what parents they will accept and/or keep. The requirement that parents participate/volunteer if they want their little darlings to stay in that school.

Public schools should have school choice just like private schools do. The right to choose what students they will accept and/or keep. The right to choose what parents they will accept and/or keep. The requirement that parents participate/volunteer if they want their little darlings to stay in that school.
And just how would you reconcile that with the fact that in every state education is mandatory to a certain age?

Scare kids about sex? Well, that certainly explains your outlook on things.
I guess you've never heard the quip,

"Don't let anything but fear and common sense stop you." (From doing something stupid.)

God says we should fear to do evil. I think He has a good point. :bowdown:

The linked article, when you cut through all the bullshit, is proposing that the State "owes" inner-city, minority, and otherwise disadvantaged students a better public school education than [he doesn't actually say it, but] white, suburban kids. The taxpayer-funded System must seek to overcome the disadvantage of poor parenting, social anomie, and endemic failure, in order to provide an "equal opportunity" to the students in that environment who have the potential to excel and be extraordinarily valuable citizens.

It is fairly well known that some of the best funded school districts (in terms of $/Student) are in these very school districts of which he speaks. But this is apparently not enough.

He obviously rejects the current "Republican" solution to this conundrum: school choice, in the form of vouchers, charter schools, and so on. These are like kryptonite to teachers' unions, as they threaten the awful monopoly that they hold in public schools.

What is the answer? Can "we" simply provide "better" funding and leave it at that, or is something more owed, as this pundit proposes?
How about not ignoring, condoning and supporting fatherless families? These inner city boys naturally gravitate to strong male figures in their neighborhoods and guess who they are? Gang bangers that's who. Both women and men need to work together to curb this society-killing epidemic in our inner cities.

... These inner city boys naturally gravitate to strong male figures in their neighborhoods and guess who they are? Gang bangers that's who. ....
How the hell do you know? Some bad movie you saw in the 80s?

Alas, I also subscribe to the genetics thing. Had I been born a hundred years earlier I would be a staunch promoter of eugenics. Without even mentioning IQ data - which drives Leftists up the wall - I would ask, if you have a neighborhood where failure is the norm, wouldn't you expect a "gap" in standardized test scores between that neighborhood's kids and those in a neighborhood where the average household has two parents in the home, 1.8 college degrees and the median home value is three times higher?

Still, there are diamonds in the rough, and these few extraordinary students should not be blocked by their shitty schools. But isn't that what Republicans are saying with "School Choice"?

Republicans banned abortions of poor minorities defective unwanted pregnancies & raped illegals, forcing them to give birth to anchor babies.

Bush Republicans NCLB (No Child Left Behind) forces teachers to neglect good students & spend all their time on the worst students.

Republicans only want "School Choice" to push religion into education.

Last edited:
Republicans banned abortions of poor minorities defective unwanted pregnancies & raped illegals, forcing them to give birth to anchor babies.

Bush Republicans NCLB (No Child Left Behind) forces teachers to neglect good students & spend all their time on the worst students.
That never happened.

Republicans only want "School Choice" to push religion into education.
Western education really began with the printing of the Bible. People were encouraged to learn to read so that they could read the Bible for themselves. This infuriated the RCC, that believed common people would misunderstand scripture and fall into error and heresy.

Harvard graduates cannot explain seasons:

Knowing the cause of seasons doesn't help get a job or perpetuate culture. Possibly encourages too much thinking.

ROFLMAO

Shouldn't The STATE have made accounting/finance mandatory in high schools since Sputnik? Double entry accounting is only 700 years old. Older than calculus, older than electric power and older than America.

I guess brainwashed workers who go into debt for consumer trash designed to become obsolete don't have any use for that.

A 2003 article said that 5th graders could learn accounting as well as college students

Accounting: collegians vs 5th graders

Notice that neither the Left nor the Right advocate mandatory accounting/finance in the schools.
I think 5th graders need knowledge appropriate for their age, needs, and mental and physical development.

All the IRS requires are business records that are clear and understandable. No 'double entry' bookkeeping needed.

Forum List

Back