What sort of education are public school students entitled to?

Sex ed is part of Health class, and is taught now of course.
How's that working out?

"However, what is known is the overall prevalence rate among people that are college-aged. In fact, people in this age group acquire almost half of all new STIs every year, with individuals aged 20 to 24 accounting for the highest infection rates. Many factors may contribute to this phenomenon, including lack of sex education, insufficient access to safer sex materials, inability to pay for testing and treatment, unfamiliarity or discomfort with sexual health resources and services, and concerns regarding confidentiality."

No, the STATE has put up a Set of Standards for each Grade. Discuss the 4 Core Standards.

NO, the STATE has put up a Set of Standards for each Grade. Discuss the 4 Core Standards.

And these Standards are VERY Grade Appropriate.
You care to argue about the 4 Core?

Health. Should the teacher avoid the word penis and vagina?

If you Woodznutz truly believes that the MS/HS teacher promotes "Grooming" "Manipulation" then YOU are the sick fuck.
What are the 4 Core Standards?

I'd like to be a fly on the wall in those "health" classes.

Edit: See post #41.

Last edited:

The linked article, when you cut through all the bullshit, is proposing that the State "owes" inner-city, minority, and otherwise disadvantaged students a better public school education than [he doesn't actually say it, but] white, suburban kids. The taxpayer-funded System must seek to overcome the disadvantage of poor parenting, social anomie, and endemic failure, in order to provide an "equal opportunity" to the students in that environment who have the potential to excel and be extraordinarily valuable citizens.

It is fairly well known that some of the best funded school districts (in terms of $/Student) are in these very school districts of which he speaks. But this is apparently not enough.

He obviously rejects the current "Republican" solution to this conundrum: school choice, in the form of vouchers, charter schools, and so on. These are like kryptonite to teachers' unions, as they threaten the awful monopoly that they hold in public schools.

What is the answer? Can "we" simply provide "better" funding and leave it at that, or is something more owed, as this pundit proposes?
It's no secret that poor kids get a substandard education

Do you measure the quality of the education by the results? How is that even feasible? You can have a large class of students and some get an excellent education while others fail, utterly. Would you claim that different kids in the same class got different qualities of education?

ROFLMAO

Shouldn't The STATE have made accounting/finance mandatory in high schools since Sputnik? Double entry accounting is only 700 years old. Older than calculus, older than electric power and older than America.

I guess brainwashed workers who go into debt for consumer trash designed to become obsolete don't have any use for that.

A 2003 article said that 5th graders could learn accounting as well as college students

Accounting: collegians vs 5th graders

Notice that neither the Left nor the Right advocate mandatory accounting/finance in the schools.
Who the hell uses accounting these days that is not computer software based?

Let me guess, you are an accountant! You still use pencil and paper and make ledger entries.

In retrospect my parents did not give me any books to read when I was in grammar school, though my mother bought a set of World Book Encyclopedia. But how do you figure out what to look up?

Science fiction helped a lot but my mother called it "something crazy."

Heinlein, Clarke and Asimov presented words and concepts that my so called teachers never touched. It is more like their objective wss to maintain controlled ignorance.

Do like I did! Start with the As and move to the Z's.

When you are 9 years old how do you have any idea what there is to be curious about? Reality does not come in alphabetical order.

Then I read "Star Surgeon" by Allen E. Nourse.

I found out that the Sun was a star and that all of the stars were suns. It was shocking! How come nobody told me?

Many SF stories present paradigms of reality that make more sense than something like Harry Potter, but I met a high school teacher who was disappointed because she couldn't get her students to read HP. I would not have been interested when I was 10 years old.

You obviously were asleep or talking when that subject was covered.

Who the hell uses accounting these days that is not computer software based?

Let me guess, you are an accountant! You still use pencil and paper and make ledger entries.
Pencil and paper worked great for me. Not all businesses need to use 'standard' bookkeeping methods. As long as they are accurate and understandable the IRS doesn't care.

Last edited:
No they just get less money and less resources all which adds up to a lower standard than schools in affluent communities
Some of these districts get the same total amount of money but much of it is spent on law enforcement. If they can reduce their crime rate perhaps there will be more money for education.

Forum List

Back