What pit bulls can teach us about gun control.

SwimExpert

Gold Member
Nov 26, 2013
This is part 2 of a two part series.
Part one: Liberals, how do you feel about anti-pitbull legislation? | Page 7 | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Pit bulls are the guns of the dog world. There is not a single thing inherently wrong or evil about a pit bull, nor a gun. The people who fear them are the people who don't know anything about them. The fear people have is based on ignorance, judgmentalism, and superficiality. Pit bulls are the equivalent of an "assault" dog. But that's based on nothing more than a physical appearance that scares people. I was not at all surprised to notice that some of the biggest gun control advocates were largely the ones who also support restrictions of some degree on pit bull ownership. The thinking is largely the same. Blame the gun, not the person. Blame the dog, not the owner. Then demonize the good people who are owners, based on the bad people who are owners.

Mind you, there was some role reversal. But only a little.

It is said that one of the truest ways to read a person's character is to look at the way s/he treats animals. So my plea to the liberals is this: Before you support more anti-gun legislation, think of the puppies. Don't be that guy who supports killing puppies. Don't support it directly. Don't support it indirectly. They're just puppies. They just want to love you and be loved in return. They are beautiful little souls. Do you really want to be so cruel?

Its certainly true that guns don't kill people ... People kill people.

That's why we shouldn't legislate guns but SHOULD legislate who owns guns.

Although I've known people who I wish could not own a dog, guns are not puppies :rolleyes:

but you made me remember -

I've written before about working with a dog trainer in Tucson who trained SAR, drug dogs, police dogs, cadaver dogs. One of the things the cops used to say is that you can call back a dog but you can't call back a bullet.

Part one: Liberals, how do you feel about anti-pitbull legislation? | Page 7 | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Pit bulls are the guns of the dog world. There is not a single thing inherently wrong or evil about a pit bull, nor a gun. The people who fear them are the people who don't know anything about them. The fear people have is based on ignorance, judgmentalism, and superficiality. Pit bulls are the equivalent of an "assault" dog. But that's based on nothing more than a physical appearance that scares people. I was not at all surprised to notice that some of the biggest gun control advocates were largely the ones who also support restrictions of some degree on pit bull ownership. The thinking is largely the same. Blame the gun, not the person. Blame the dog, not the owner. Then demonize the good people who are owners, based on the bad people who are owners.

It is said that one of the truest ways to read a person's character is to look at the way s/he treats animals. So my plea to the liberals is this: Before you support more anti-gun legislation, think of the puppies. Don't be that guy who supports killing puppies. Don't support it directly. Don't support it indirectly. They're just puppies. They just want to love you and be loved in return. They are beautiful little souls. Do you really want to be so cruel?

:)

pit bull puppies pics - Yahoo Image Search Results

You realize dogs (not just pit bulls) have to be licensed and registered in most places .

But god forbid we do that wh guns !!

You realize dogs (not just pit bulls) have to be licensed and registered in most places .

And, in many areas, pits must have liability insurance, be neutered and kept behind a tall fence.

Gee, I do believe the OP is on to something here.

It's very stupid to compare a Pitbull to a gun. A gun has 2 purposes. To kill, and to protect from killing. A Pitbull cannot kill anywhere close to as effectively as a gun can. But a Pitbull can protect as well as a gun. Ask the people whose lives have been saved by a Pitbull.

A Pitbull can also be a friend to anyone. A gun can only be a friend to gun fetishists. And there are far too many of those in this country.

A Pitbull can also be a friend to anyone. A gun can only be a friend to gun fetishists. And there are far too many of those in this country.

If that's the best you got, you might be better off not saying anything.

It's unconstitutional to register guns...

Dog breeds are the products of human manufacture. When you have manufactured a dangerous product, the burden is on you to prove that its benefit outweighs its risk.

:link:

You've never heard of dog licensing and yet you're proclaiming yourself a pit bull expert?

lol, classic wingnuttery.

1 - I never claimed to be a pit bull expert.
2 - I never said I've never heard of dog licensing.

I demand a link for the outrageous claim that "dogs have to be licensed and registered in most places."

Forum List

Back