What Limits Should We Impose On Truth?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
What Limits Should We Impose On Truth?

The temperature keeps rising on the reactions by Leftists on opinions with which they object. Out come the magic words: “I’m outraged!!! I’m offended!!!”
Universities: the places that the Left most dominates are the least free places in America

1.“Renowned University of Michigan professor who has taught at the school since 1995 is removed from his post after woke freshman complains about him showing Oscar-nominated acting legend Laurence Olivier in blackface in 1965 film Othello

…removed from his teaching post after a student at the college complained about him showing the 1965 film Othello starring Laurence Olivier in blackface. …showed students the movie - which garnered four Academy Award nominations - last month.

Shortly after the screening, one of those taking the class complained to higher-ups at the university. Sheng wanted to 'show how the opera composer Giuseppe Verdi had adapted Shakespeare’s play into an opera.'

3. [Here’s his real mistake:] Professor Sheng, who was born in Shanghai, China and has been at the university for 26 years, penned an apology in which he proceeded to list occasions where he had worked with 'people of color' throughout his career in an effort to display diversity, but that too was rejected by the student body….But the apology only served to inflame things further…

Olivier appeared in blackface throughout the film which was shot in color. It is said to have 'shocked' students who demanded an apology
1633883539179.png

What shocked Cook even more was the fact students were simply shown the film without any warning or context as to why they were to watch the work which some might deem offensive.

One graduate student said they thought Sheng's stepping down was 'the bare minimum' that he should do.” Professor removed from university post after showing 1965 Othello

Yup....'shocked and offended!!!'

I wonder if those students had read of students, the Red Guard, under Mao....or they came up with the mirror images all by themselves.

4. This oppression of truth is not new. In a talk before fellow economists, Lawrence Summers, president of Harvard University and secretary of commerce under President Bill Clinton, addressed the question of why there were so many fewer women than men in science, math and engineering.

… empirical truths are not utterable in the most intellectually closed places in America -- our universities. Over 100 Harvard professors signed a petition against President Summers, leftist alumni threatened to give no more money to Harvard, and the vast majority of Harvard's professors kept a cowardly silence while their colleagues sought to suppress completely respectable intellectual inquiry.

“In the year 2005, nearly four centuries after Galileo was forced to recant observable scientific facts about our solar system, the president of Harvard University was forced to do a similar thing.”
Professors as inquisitors - Dennis Prager - Townhall Conservative Columnists

This is the world you endorse if you vote Democrat.

Cancel culture. So much for tolerance and diversity.
Then again, why show any movies in college.
Stick to majors that can get you a job, Art-History is not one.

I've often considered how similar the Mortgage Meltdown, due to Democrat demands that the financially undeserving get NINJA loans...

...is to the huge burden graduates face having been advanced undeserved loans to finance absurd majors, through which they will never be able to earn a living.

No accident that the Left gives the student loans, followed by increases in tuition, and the students vote Democrat in the hopes the loans will be forgiven.

I.
"Will you walk into my parlour?" said a spider to a fly;
" 'Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy.
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I have many pretty things to shew when you are there."

He dragged her up his winding stair, into his dismal den,
Within his little parlour—but she ne'er came out again!
—And now, dear little children, who may this story read,
To idle, silly, flattering words, I pray you ne'er give heed:
Unto an evil counsellor, close heart, and ear, and eye,
And take a lesson from this tale, of the Spider and the Fly."

The main thing we need to do is nationalize the media, so those mean tech companies can't ban Trump.

It's ALREADY nationalized!!!

You know that 'journalists' are simply Democrats with press passes.

You can't say you actually believe anything the state media publishes......do you??????

Remember where you 'learned' this ?

Here the prism through which every Democrat pronouncement should be viewed: First collusion, collusion, collusion, Russia, Russia, Russia, Obstruction, Obstruction, Obstruction. Racist, Racist, Racist, Impeach, Impeach, Impeach, Recession, Recession, Recession, Emoluments, 25th amendment, “HandsUpDon’tShoot,”Stormy Daniels, lies about Charlottesville fine Nazis, Kurds, Ukraine, Quid Pro Quo, ‘lynching,’ the Kavanaugh hoax, the GAO charges, Lev Parnas, impeachment, coronavirus ‘hoax,’ General Flynn perjury trap, no evidence of voter fraud in the stolen election.....and “More than 50 former intelligence officials signed a letter casting doubt on the provenance of a New York Post story on the former vice president's son."

Don’t forget the Democrats told you that Trump was colluding with Russia…and that wasn’t true. They also told you that so was Naval Academy grad Carter Page and so was George Papadopoulos and so was General Michael Flynn, a three star general and former director of the Defense Intelligence Agency….and all of that was a lie. How stupid must one be to keep believing what they say?
...and, AOC lying about her near-death experience in the Capitol Riots.....when she wasn't even in the Capitol.

And that Biden voters as agents provocateur weren't behind the Capitol Riot.....and that Pelosi knew and refused to allow extra security. They lie about everything.......yet Democrat voters are, ready to swallow the next lie.

And that the Wuhan Red Death did not come from a Chinese Communist lab that got its funding via Dr. Fauci, and its purpose was to remove Trump….

FakeStories: Three years of Russian Collusion stories; altering documents at the DoJ and FBI to railroad political opponents; the state media burying the Hunter Biden Scandal what with Joe getting 10% of the bribes; stories about Kavanaugh rape parties, and Covington Catholic School; Carter Page working for Russia when he was actually working for the CIA….where were those ‘fact checkers’? The great lie that there was an ‘insurrection’ January 6th. The lie that it was Republicans who wanted to defund the police. The lie that Critical Race Theory wasn’t being ta,00ught. The lie that 600,000 died from the Wuhan Red Death.
What should you do when they lied to you at least these 30 times already???????????

I've often considered how similar the Mortgage Meltdown, due to Democrat demands that the financially undeserving get NINJA loans...
...is to the huge burden graduates face having been advanced undeserved loans to finance absurd majors, through which they will never be able to earn a living.
No accident that the Left gives the student loans, followed by increases in tuition, and the students vote Democrat in the hopes the loans will be forgiven.
I.
"Will you walk into my parlor?" said a spider to a fly;
" 'Tis the prettiest little parlor that ever you did spy.
The way into my parlor is up a winding stair,
And I have many pretty things to shew when you are there."

He dragged her up his winding stair, into his dismal den,
Within his little parlor—but she ne'er came out again!
—And now, dear little children, who may this story read,
To idle, silly, flattering words, I pray you ne'er give heed:
Unto an evil counselor, close heart, and ear, and eye,
And take a lesson from this tale, of the Spider and the Fly."
Its a "Catch-22".
To get a good job you need a degree or job training, a very good skill set.
But, College is very expensive, most need to borrow to get through.
Then you need to pay the loan back, or do you?

Student Loans total $1.6T
We need to be sure that those loans are paid back on time.
I would rather pay for 2-years of Community College and real job skills, than a worthless 4-year Art-History degree.

Of course, my bad. What I meant is we need to get Republicans in control of the media. Then the Truth™ will prevail!

Speaking of truth, where were your posts complaining about how the NYPost stories revealing how the Biden Cartel sold out America to the Russians, Chinese, Ukranians.....?

Were you upset that Quid Pro Joe only got 10% of Hunter's bribe money???

1633885283976.png

Speaking of truth, where were your posts complaining about how the NYPost stories revealing how the Biden Cartel sold out America to the Russians, Chinese, Ukranians.....?

Doh! I musta forgot! I hang my head in shame.

Its a "Catch-22".
To get a good job you need a degree or job training, a very good skill set.
But, College is very expensive, most need to borrow to get through.
Then you need to pay the loan back, or do you?

Student Loans total $1.6T
We need to be sure that those loans are paid back on time.
I would rather pay for 2-years of Community College and real job skills, than a worthless 4-year Art-History degree.

Why is it so important that everyone go to college?
For the simple reason that employers have been denied the right to give mental ability tests to prospective employees…..and having a piece of paper, a diploma from a college, was the only way to make any judgment for employment.

Remember this?

“…Judge Robert F. Peckham and his landmark 1979 ruling. Peckham had barred California public schools from using standardized IQ tests for determining whether academically struggling black students should be placed in special classes for the mildly mentally retarded. Siding with black parents and others who sought to stop the practice, Peckham found that the commonly used tests were racially and culturally biased and resulted in large numbers of blacks being wrongly labeled as retarded and consigned to “dead-end” programs.”
Court Ban on IQ Tests for Blacks Sparks Parents' Suit : Education: Plaintiffs say the ruling discriminates against minority students. Others contend it protects them from testing that is racially and culturally biased.

“…EEOC Guidelines in the USA.
What does job relevant mean? The employer must have data showing what the requisite job knowledge, skills and abilities are for each position where an assessment device is being used to make hiring decisions. So it means that the assessment device must measure the specific knowledge domain, the specific skills and specific abilities for each job. The employer must also demonstrate that people who perform better on said assessment device (i.e., higher scores) are the ones who are better employees. In summary, there needs to be a demonstrated statistical relationship between scores on the test and measures of performance on the job…

While measures of general intelligence have consistently shown that higher performers are more successful in many jobs, an employer might be hard pressed to demonstrate that a test of intelligence is job relevant (it might be, but the employer, if sued, would need significant data to show it!). In decades past, many employers were indeed using tests that were effectively proxy measures of general intelligence and they were sued in federal court for what is known as adverse impact (which in a nutshell means biased…don’t want to clutter up this answer with a lot of legal terminology). Hence, the EEOC Regulations which have evolved since the late 1970’s!”
Are companies allowed to use IQ tests to evaluate employees? - Quora

If you don't wanna be sued by an applicant who didn't get the job, just say you need a college degree.

Here it is in a real newspaper

"Sheng[the professor] sent out an apology on Sept. 10 shortly after the class ended, noting that the casting and portrayal “was racially insensitive and outdated.” A copy of this email has been obtained by The Daily. A planned “Othello” project was then canceled by Sheng."

So the professor apologized.

He's a world class composer, pianist, who's won a bunch of awards. It's the student's loss.

Here it is in a real newspaper

"Sheng[the professor] sent out an apology on Sept. 10 shortly after the class ended, noting that the casting and portrayal “was racially insensitive and outdated.” A copy of this email has been obtained by The Daily. A planned “Othello” project was then canceled by Sheng."

So the professor apologized.

He's a world class composer, pianist, who's won a bunch of awards. It's the student's loss.

3. [Here’s his real mistake:] Professor Sheng, who was born in Shanghai, China and has been at the university for 26 years, penned an apology in which he proceeded to list occasions where he had worked with 'people of color' throughout his career in an effort to display diversity, but that too was rejected by the student body….But the apology only served to inflame things further…

Olivier appeared in blackface throughout the film which was shot in color. It is said to have 'shocked' students who demanded an apology
1633883539179.png

What shocked Cook even more was the fact students were simply shown the film without any warning or context as to why they were to watch the work which some might deem offensive.

One graduate student said they thought Sheng's stepping down was 'the bare minimum' that he should do.” Professor removed from university post after showing 1965 Othello

Yup....'shocked and offended!!!'

I wonder if those students had read of students, the Red Guard, under Mao....or they came up with the mirror images all by themselves.

No apology was ever necessary.

Next time, read the entire OP, and you won't have to repeat it.

5. Sommers had to resign from Harvard because he mentioned that there are intrinsic differences between men and women, well documented in the scientific literature, and this might account for the there being fewer women in science, math and engineering.

“…Harvard psychologist Steven Pinker defended Summers’s positions,

…Shortly after Summers’s lecture, The Harvard Crimson (a student newspaper) asked Pinker, “Were President Summers’s remarks within the pale of legitimate academic discourse?” to which the psychologist brilliantly replied “Good grief, shouldn’t everything be within the pale of legitimate academic discourse, as long as it is presented with some degree of rigor?

That’s the difference between a university and a madrassa.”

It appears that there is no longer any difference between a university and a madrassa.

Forum List

Back