What Limits Should We Impose On Truth?

No, Canada bans hate speech, and the USA allows hate speech on the grounds of "freedom of speech".
So how does that cause the US to rank lower on the "freedom list" or whatever it was? Do you get extra freedom points for banning speech? I'd say that's a pretty silly rating system.

More to the point, 'speech' to be 'free speech' needs no further modifying.

Wait....you forgot something.....

Would you mind repeating what you said here, that banning speech is freedom?

post 25

Just for clarity....do you also believe (I almost said 'think') that freedom is slavery and ignorance is strength and war is peace???

7. Professor Gad Saad dedicated his book to exposing the disease that is destroying our culture, and our society.

He writes:

“The central focus of this book is to explore another set of pathogens that are potentially as dangerous to the human condition: parasitic pathogens of the human mind. These are composed of thought patterns, belief systems, attitudes, and mindsets that parasitize one’s ability to think properly and accurately. Once these mind viruses take hold of one’s neuronal circuitry, the afflicted victim loses the ability to use reason, logic, and science to navigate the world. Instead, one sinks into an abyss of infinite lunacy best defined by a dogged and proud departure from reality, common sense, and truth. While parasites can target and reside in different body parts, neuroparasitology deals with the class of cerebral parasites that manipulate hosts’ behaviors in different ways.

Some of the parasitic viruses of the human mind that I tackle include postmodernism, radical feminism, and social constructivism, all of which largely flourish within one infected ecosystem: the university. While each mind virus constitutes a different strain of lunacy, they are all bound by the full rejection of reality and common sense (postmodernism rejects the existence of objective truths; radical feminism scoffs at the idea of innate biologically-based sex differences; and social constructivism posits that the human mind starts off as an empty slate largely void of biological blueprints).

This general class of mind viruses is what I have coined Ostrich Parasitic Syndrome (OPS), namely various forms of disordered thinking that lead afflicted individuals to reject fundamental truths and realities that are as evident as the pull of gravity.”
“The Parasitic Mind,” Gad Saad

That’s the Democrat party, the woke, the Progressives.

Yup…..you.

8. We saw in the OP an example of a professor who was suspended for providing truth, an actual education.

“University students demand that they be “protected” from ideas that are antithetical to their own while being warned by administrators about wearing “offensive” Halloween costumes. Politicians are fearful to critique Islam or open-border immigration policies lest they be accused of being bigots. More generally, people are deathly afraid to espouse any opinion that might get them ostracized from the politically correct club (try being a conservative Republican in Hollywood or on a university campus).

... the culture of perpetual offense and victimhood (microaggressions, trigger warnings, and safe spaces on campuses, as well as identity politics). This has created an environment that has stifled public discourse in a myriad of ways.

These trepidations are weakening our culture because we are no longer able to talk with one another using rational and reasoned discourse that is otherwise free from a dogmatic and tribal mindset.

In this book, I set out to describe the confluence of forces that are endangering the West’s commitment to freedom, reason, and true liberalism (hence, the death of the West by a thousand cuts). Ultimately, any attempt to limit what individuals can think or say weakens the defining ethos of the West, namely the unfettered commitment to the pursuit of truth unencumbered by the shackles of the thought police.”
Gad Saad, “The Parasitic Mind”

3. [Here’s his real mistake:] Professor Sheng, who was born in Shanghai, China and has been at the university for 26 years, penned an apology in which he proceeded to list occasions where he had worked with 'people of color' throughout his career in an effort to display diversity, but that too was rejected by the student body….But the apology only served to inflame things further…

Olivier appeared in blackface throughout the film which was shot in color. It is said to have 'shocked' students who demanded an apology
1633883539179.png

What shocked Cook even more was the fact students were simply shown the film without any warning or context as to why they were to watch the work which some might deem offensive.

One graduate student said they thought Sheng's stepping down was 'the bare minimum' that he should do.” Professor removed from university post after showing 1965 Othello

Yup....'shocked and offended!!!'

I wonder if those students had read of students, the Red Guard, under Mao....or they came up with the mirror images all by themselves.

No apology was ever necessary.

Next time, read the entire OP, and you won't have to repeat it.

"The College Fix reports:

University of Michigan drops investigation into professor for showing movie with blackface

The University of Michigan said it will not formally investigate Professor Bright Sheng for showing a 1965 movie that contained a white actor wearing makeup to have a darker skin tone.
University officials were “considering opening a formal investigation into Professor Sheng for his classroom showing of Othello,” but they have “determined that it will not do so after reviewing the complaints against him,” according to a free-speech group.
“While it remains discouraging that Sheng has ‘stepped away’ from teaching this semester, Michigan’s decision not to launch a formal investigation into a professor’s course content was the right one to make,” the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education said in an October 19 update. It spoke to Sheng’s attorney who confirmed there would not be a formal investigation.
“Such investigations produce profound chilling effects inimical to a university’s role as a marketplace of ideas,” the civil liberties nonprofit said. “FIRE hopes that this controversy over Sheng’s protected expression will signal to Michigan faculty and administrators that it’s time for the university to make a serious effort to protect and defend faculty members’ First Amendment rights and academic freedom.”

I've often considered how similar the Mortgage Meltdown, due to Democrat demands that the financially undeserving get NINJA loans...

...is to the huge burden graduates face having been advanced undeserved loans to finance absurd majors, through which they will never be able to earn a living.

No accident that the Left gives the student loans, followed by increases in tuition, and the students vote Democrat in the hopes the loans will be forgiven.

I.
"Will you walk into my parlour?" said a spider to a fly;
" 'Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy.
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I have many pretty things to shew when you are there."

He dragged her up his winding stair, into his dismal den,
Within his little parlour—but she ne'er came out again!
—And now, dear little children, who may this story read,
To idle, silly, flattering words, I pray you ne'er give heed:
Unto an evil counsellor, close heart, and ear, and eye,
And take a lesson from this tale, of the Spider and the Fly."

No accident that the Left gives the student loans, followed by increases in tuition, and the students vote Democrat in the hopes the loans will be forgiven.

1636138728401.png

I've already told you that I'm not going to be a substitute for what's missing in your miserable life hon.

You can run, but you can't hide.
So saith the Brown Bomber.

You can post, and I will continue to eviscerate your posts.

Banning hate speech could be one of the main reasons why Canada is being judged to be so far above America on freedom.
America hasn't always been rated 52nd., but it could be productive attempt to determine when and why the change took place?
America ceased to be the most free country in the world due to what has to be some domestic influence from within.
Yeah, progressivism.

The temperature keeps rising on the reactions by Leftists on opinions with which they object. Out come the magic words: “I’m outraged!!! I’m offended!!!”
Universities: the places that the Left most dominates are the least free places in America

1.“Renowned University of Michigan professor who has taught at the school since 1995 is removed from his post after woke freshman complains about him showing Oscar-nominated acting legend Laurence Olivier in blackface in 1965 film Othello

…removed from his teaching post after a student at the college complained about him showing the 1965 film Othello starring Laurence Olivier in blackface. …showed students the movie - which garnered four Academy Award nominations - last month.

Shortly after the screening, one of those taking the class complained to higher-ups at the university. Sheng wanted to 'show how the opera composer Giuseppe Verdi had adapted Shakespeare’s play into an opera.'

3. [Here’s his real mistake:] Professor Sheng, who was born in Shanghai, China and has been at the university for 26 years, penned an apology in which he proceeded to list occasions where he had worked with 'people of color' throughout his career in an effort to display diversity, but that too was rejected by the student body….But the apology only served to inflame things further…

Olivier appeared in blackface throughout the film which was shot in color. It is said to have 'shocked' students who demanded an apology
View attachment 550049

What shocked Cook even more was the fact students were simply shown the film without any warning or context as to why they were to watch the work which some might deem offensive.

One graduate student said they thought Sheng's stepping down was 'the bare minimum' that he should do.” Professor removed from university post after showing 1965 Othello

I wonder if those students had read of students, the Red Guard, under Mao....or they came up with the mirror images all by themselves.

4. This oppression of truth is not new. In a talk before fellow economists, Lawrence Summers, president of Harvard University and secretary of commerce under President Bill Clinton, addressed the question of why there were so many fewer women than men in science, math and engineering.

… empirical truths are not utterable in the most intellectually closed places in America -- our universities. Over 100 Harvard professors signed a petition against President Summers, leftist alumni threatened to give no more money to Harvard, and the vast majority of Harvard's professors kept a cowardly silence while their colleagues sought to suppress completely respectable intellectual inquiry.

“In the year 2005, nearly four centuries after Galileo was forced to recant observable scientific facts about our solar system, the president of Harvard University was forced to do a similar thing.”
Professors as inquisitors - Dennis Prager - Townhall Conservative Columnists

This is the world you endorse if you vote Democrat.
False-witness bearing should be a limit imposed on the "gospel Truth".

The temperature keeps rising on the reactions by Leftists on opinions with which they object. Out come the magic words: “I’m outraged!!! I’m offended!!!”
Universities: the places that the Left most dominates are the least free places in America

1.“Renowned University of Michigan professor who has taught at the school since 1995 is removed from his post after woke freshman complains about him showing Oscar-nominated acting legend Laurence Olivier in blackface in 1965 film Othello

…removed from his teaching post after a student at the college complained about him showing the 1965 film Othello starring Laurence Olivier in blackface. …showed students the movie - which garnered four Academy Award nominations - last month.

Shortly after the screening, one of those taking the class complained to higher-ups at the university. Sheng wanted to 'show how the opera composer Giuseppe Verdi had adapted Shakespeare’s play into an opera.'

View attachment 550049

4. This oppression of truth is not new. In a talk before fellow economists, Lawrence Summers, president of Harvard University and secretary of commerce under President Bill Clinton, addressed the question of why there were so many fewer women than men in science, math and engineering.

… empirical truths are not utterable in the most intellectually closed places in America -- our universities. Over 100 Harvard professors signed a petition against President Summers, leftist alumni threatened to give no more money to Harvard, and the vast majority of Harvard's professors kept a cowardly silence while their colleagues sought to suppress completely respectable intellectual inquiry.

“In the year 2005, nearly four centuries after Galileo was forced to recant observable scientific facts about our solar system, the president of Harvard University was forced to do a similar thing.”

What a load of crap again. You need to get a job and stop trawling the net for those fascist nuts.
You're paranoia about the left is not improving either. You'd be better suited on a preppers site.

View attachment 550049

What does voting have to do with any of this???

What does voting have to do with any of this???

Democrats lie about everything and Democrats in power are responsible for all sorts of evil results.

Democrats enforce and advance every 'woke' catastrophe.

It is their plan, and is a part of Critical Race Theory.

Amazing you fail to see the connections.

Democrats lie about everything and Democrats in power are responsible for all sorts of evil results.

Democrats enforce and advance every 'woke' catastrophe.

It is their plan, and is a part of Critical Race Theory.

Amazing you fail to see the connections.
And what relevant policies would be different, assuming we vote Republican instead?

I'm just confused because most of what you are complaining about isn't a matter state policy. It's just people or businesses shutting down Trump supporters on their own. Not sure how voting Republican would stop that.

Forum List

Back