What kind of paint should i use on a steel entry door that has old faded paint on it?

That looks like a foam filled fiberglass, such as a Smooth Star by Thermatru, rather than a standard waffle filled stock steel door. Painting recommendation would be the same. Taking out the insert was a good idea also. Replacement screw covers are easily available.
That's good cause half of the covers were gone but I never actually noticed lol

That's good cause half of the covers were gone but I never actually noticed lol
If Therma-Tru, you can probably get some through Lowes millwork department or TT customer service, as they aren't put on at the certified TT millwork jobber/distributor prior to shipment to end point seller, but usually bagged, stapled to the jamb. If not TT, try Western Reserve unless it was a common half wagon wheel insert, as they are pretty generic as that cutout is common across the industry, but size and fit of screw cover varies insert manufacturer to manufacturer.

20210918_112414.jpg

Yikes! I hope it's just that bright because it's on plastic lol. Was supposed to be maroonish to match the shutters.
Door is pretty old so if all else fails I'll just get a new door prestained

View attachment 540951

Yikes! I hope it's just that bright because it's on plastic lol. Was supposed to be maroonish to match the shutters.
Door is pretty old so if all else fails I'll just get a new door prestained
Pretty bright, alright. I doubt getting a perfect match out of a can. Lowes and HD pretty good at matching if you want to go to brush on. If your house, Classic Craft may be the way to. I like the TT stain kits, everything necessary being all in one package, and they have the largest selection of color and shading available for theirs or anybody else's stainable fiberglass product, as I am a hands on kind of guy on my own finish projects. If you decide to go that far, follow the directions to the letter. There are no shortcuts.

Pretty bright, alright. I doubt getting a perfect match out of a can. Lowes and HD pretty good at matching if you want to go to brush on. If your house, Classic Craft may be the way to. I like the TT stain kits, everything necessary being all in one package, and they have the largest selection of color and shading available for theirs or anybody else's stainable fiberglass product, as I am a hands on kind of guy on my own finish projects. If you decide to go that far, follow the directions to the letter. There are no shortcuts.
It's mixed and I used my sprayer that I bought to do my deck earlier this year.

Think it's just like that cause I'm out in full sun. I hope....lol see the difference from the can sample?20210918_122436.jpg20210918_122300.jpg

It's mixed and I used my sprayer that I bought to do my deck earlier this year.

Think it's just like that cause I'm out in full sun. I hope....lol see the difference from the can sample?View attachment 540970View attachment 540971
Take it back and tell them to try again. I have sold a lot of vinyl shutters, but never seen that color.
"Ruby Lips"? Did you take down a shutter and carry it with you? Those lasers are usually pretty accurate on clean surface paint matching.

Take it back and tell them to try again. I have sold a lot of vinyl shutters, but never seen that color.
"Ruby Lips"? Did you take down a shutter and carry it with you? Those lasers are usually pretty accurate on clean surface paint matching.
I brought sample charts home and it looks like I told them the wrong color ffs. It was supposed to be Mesa Red.

20210918_124353.jpg

I brought sample charts home and it looks like I told them the wrong color ffs. It was supposed to be Mesa Red.

View attachment 540979
I would still take back or at least go back with a shutter (as they fade over time) and make them match, so color match becomes their problem. Your slab has been trimmed from the top for fit, and appears to be in good condition. I would not go to the expense of moving up to stainable products unless you just want to.

I would still take back or at least go back with a shutter (as they fade over time) and make them match, so color match becomes their problem. Your slab has been trimmed from the top for fit, and appears to be in good condition. I would not go to the expense of moving up to stainable products unless you just want to.
Too late for that today. I still have other projects and a customer to meet. Door has to go back on soon.

Forum List

Back