• In the novus ordo but don't accept changes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • leaning toward Sedevacantist

• the confused kind

• SSPX

• Who knows where I will end up (of above)

• Total voters

He said you have to come to him hating your loved ones... not literally hating them but rejecting them if they reject Him (is my take)
You are misinterpreting or better yet, not comprehending this verse. He's saying that if you hate your family and still try to repent and be forgiven, you will not be forgiven. Thus, you cannot be my disciple. So, what do those who are treating family members poorly with hatred to do? Repent and ask for forgiveness of your family. They did this scene recently in the show "The Chosen." And, after hearing the Lord say this, Matthew went to his father and asked for forgiveness and his father did likewise asking for Matthew's forgiveness and they made up. Jesus found out and was happy and Matthew could continue to be a disciple and even more, an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ.

A lot of people think that worship is for God. I think giving thanks and praise is actually for us. There's something called the happiness advantage. If you pay close attention to what the science tells us how we can train our minds you should see be able to see why giving thanks and praise, confessing our sins and forgiveness (self reflection), random acts of kindness (charity) and prayer (meditation) led to the success of Western Civilization. This is a really good and informative talk that's about 15 minutes and it is highly entertaining. Not everyone can see the connection but I think you will. Let me know what you think.

Thank you for sharing this. What a fun presentation. That guy is a hoot! This kind of thing appeals to me (I was a psych major in college).

Surely his findings tie in with living as a Catholic. The positivity that engenders happiness is found by trust in God's goodness.

Thank you for sharing this. What a fun presentation. That guy is a hoot! This kind of thing appeals to me (I was a psych major in college).

Surely his findings tie in with living as a Catholic. The positivity that engenders happiness is found by trust in God's goodness.
It is a hoot. I share it with everyone. What I found interesting is that the science shows that making being thankful a habit trains the brain to be in a happy state of mind; making random acts of kindness a habit trains the brain to be in a happy state of mind; making being self reflective (contemplating your own actions) a habit trains the brain to be in a happy state of mind; and making meditation (prayer) a habit trains the brain to be in a happy state of mind. All things that religious people - especially Christians - do on a regular basis.

Most importantly being happy turns on all the learning centers of the brain. So the practice of these religious practices have a practical application which naturally leads to success.

You are misinterpreting or better yet, not comprehending this verse. He's saying that if you hate your family and still try to repent and be forgiven, you will not be forgiven. T
unbelievable... you are telling us to believe YOUR distorted view of this Scripture rather than the very CLEAR words there..

outa here

Similarly, in John, Jesus says-
Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life.

We are supposed to prefer God to everyone and everything on this earth and strive to obey His will. This leads us to Heaven which is our true home.
amen... C bear says this psg means that if we reject loved ones, we will not be forgiven... all the proof we need that the LDS is a fake and deceptive religion so called

unbelievable... you are telling us to believe YOUR distorted view of this Scripture rather than the very CLEAR words there..

outa here
Yes, you don't understand the words. Your explanation doesn't make any sense in lieu of other scriptures that don't say that. And, I gave you Matthew as an example. You have a distorted understanding of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Jesus is all about family. So, what you think is clear in your head is scrambled eggs.

:oops:

Cougarbear essentially says the following is BS. Check it out.. it's in the Bible

And there went great multitudes with him. And turning, he said to them:

26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

27 And whosoever doth not carry his cross and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

28 For which of you having a mind to build a tower, doth not first sit down, and reckon the charges that are necessary, whether he have wherewithal to finish it:

29 Lest, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that see it begin to mock him,

30 Saying: This man began to build, and was not able to finish.

31 Or what king, about to go to make war against another king, doth not first sit down, and think whether he be able, with ten thousand, to meet him that, with twenty thousand, cometh against him?

32 Or else, whilst the other is yet afar off, sending an embassy, he desireth conditions of peace.

33 So likewise every one of you that doth not renounce all that he possesseth, cannot be my disciple.

cougarbear worships family over God, apparently.... so we get why he says what he does and argues w/ this Scripture

a confused one (sometimes)

That reminds me of Lefebvre's book called ... can't recall the whole title but it had the words Confused Catholic in it

It's a small "book" and you can get it free on-line.. explains what was egregiously wrong w/ Vatican II

:)

I'm the kind that got out before it was too late...
I got out when I realized it was a fake Church just like the US has a fake president

I "always" knew something was seriously wrong w/ the fake Church (fakers took over the Vatican in 1958) and Francis made it possible for the whole world to see exactly what the hell was wrong w/... not Catholicism but the Vatican sect (all Christians can see it anyhow). But I never ditched the TRUE Catholic Church and never will. It is the Church Christ founded on Earth.. Read the early Church Fathers and you will find Catholicism throughout their writings (written in the first centuries of the Church's existence)

I am one of those Catholics who still have some interest in Corpus Christi Day celebrations.
Am I the only one of that sort of Catholics here?

:)

I am one of those Catholics who still have some interest in Corpus Christi Day celebrations.
Am I the only one of that sort of Catholics here?
Loved today's Catholic liturgy celebrating Corpus Christi! What truly caught my attention was the idea that the distribution of the loaves and fishes in John's Gospel was also a kind of establishing the Eucharist as the institution it is in Catholicism. It brought up that life in Jesus always was eternal--even in his own day. Our celebrant had celebrated Mass in Lanciano, Italy where the eighth century miracle of when the Eucharist turned into actual flesh and blood.

:oops:

Cougarbear essentially says the following is BS. Check it out.. it's in the Bible

And there went great multitudes with him. And turning, he said to them:

26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

27 And whosoever doth not carry his cross and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

28 For which of you having a mind to build a tower, doth not first sit down, and reckon the charges that are necessary, whether he have wherewithal to finish it:

29 Lest, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that see it begin to mock him,

30 Saying: This man began to build, and was not able to finish.

31 Or what king, about to go to make war against another king, doth not first sit down, and think whether he be able, with ten thousand, to meet him that, with twenty thousand, cometh against him?

32 Or else, whilst the other is yet afar off, sending an embassy, he desireth conditions of peace.

33 So likewise every one of you that doth not renounce all that he possesseth, cannot be my disciple.
Luke 14:26 is probably poorly translated. I think the meaning that was to be put across is found in Matthew 10:37.

Matthew 10:37
37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Jesus would not teach us to hate our parents and brothers and sisters. The two great commandments on which all other commandments and teachings hang says this:

Matthew 22:36-40
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Here Jesus is teaching us that above all else we should love the Lord our God. This is the first and great commandment. Above everyone else, we should give our love, allegiance, respect, honor, and our everything to the Lord our God. After that we should obey the 2nd great commandment to love our fellowman as we love ourselves. I don't think Jesus was teaching us to hate our parents and brothers and sisters but that we should love God above even our parents and brothers and sisters.

John 13:34
34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back