CDZ What is "Conservative"- Conservatives please

Syriusly

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I am hoping for responses from those who consider themselves 'Conservative' in the context of American politics.

What are the essential ideals or philosophies that you identify as "Conservative"- to keep the discussion manageable, please limit it to 3-5 bullet points- feel free to expand on each one, but I am curious how Conservatives themselves identify the issues.

Thanks

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
Reaction score
* Maximum individual liberty
* Minimal government involvement

FA_Q2

Gold Member
Reaction score
The problem i have with this statement is that 'conservatives' do not seem to support the above as soon as you start to get into 'immorality.'

Conservatives have abandoned the idea of maximal freedom and liberty for the ideal of enforcing moral standards that require massive government involvement.

LoneLaugher

Diamond Member
Reaction score
The problem i have with this statement is that 'conservatives' do not seem to support the above as soon as you start to get into 'immorality.'

Conservatives have abandoned the idea of maximal freedom and liberty for the ideal of enforcing moral standards that require massive government involvement.
What?! No way! Conservatives are for freedom. They love freedom!

airplanemechanic

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Minimum gov't involvement except when it comes to killing babies.

Yea, then conservatives draw the line.

OP
S

Syriusly

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hmmm not many conservatives seem able or willing to express what they consider to be their core beliefs.

Thanks Frank.

jwoodie

Gold Member
Reaction score
1. A rational (cost/benefit) approach to identifying and solving problems.

2. Knowledge that the federal government has been greatly politicized and is incredibly incompetent.

OP
S

Syriusly

Diamond Member
Reaction score

jwoodie

Gold Member
Reaction score
Conservatism as a political and social philosophy promotes retaining traditional social institutions in the context of the culture and civilization. (Wikipedia)

To this extent, I am a conservative. Most societal norms are based on thousands of years of practical experience. I am not opposed to incorporating new experiences into these norms, but constantly pandering to those who think they have reinvented the wheel is a waste of time and resources.

airplanemechanic

Platinum Member
Reaction score
No, I'm a libertarian. But Libertarians and conservatives share many of the same views. Not all, however.

jasonnfree

Gold Member
Reaction score

When will conservatives try to overturn Roe vs Wade? Never never never. The phony concern about the unborn is one of the few things republicans have going for them and they're not about to lose it either. Here's George Carlin on what phonies republicans are.

jwoodie

Gold Member
Reaction score

When will conservatives try to overturn Roe vs Wade? Never never never. The phony concern about the unborn is one of the few things republicans have going for them and they're not about to lose it either. Here's George Carlin on what phonies republicans are.

Apparently, you are unable and/or unwilling to articulate your own views, so your resort to posting video clips of comedians. I assume you have never read the Rowe v. Wade decision, either. If you had, you would know that the Court recognized fetal viability (outside the womb) as a legitimate basis for restrictions on abortions. One of the problems with this decision is that it was assumed that this would not occur until the last three months of pregnancy. We now know that it occurs much sooner than that; however, "pro choice" activists (including judges) constantly mislead the public on this issue.

hadit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Most "conservatives" don't identify themselves as "conservative". They are called that by those who hate in vain attempts to make them feel as bad about themselves as the haters do.

PaintMyHouse

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Most "conservatives" don't identify themselves as "conservative". They are called that by those who hate in vain attempts to make them feel as bad about themselves as the haters do.
Most "conservatives" aren't conservative, they are reactionaries, like all those here who don't want to work with what we have and make it better, to keep the pace of change slow so therefore manageable, no, they want to turn back the clock and return to some fantasy "glory days". That's nothing like conservatism.

initforme

Gold Member
Reaction score
I would add pro management anti worker/laborer. Pro upper class not so great middle class.

regent

Gold Member
Reaction score
Individual liberty is an undefined term. What does it mean, liberty for whom, liberty to do what?
Is minimal government involvement dependent on which party, liberal or conservative is in power? For example liberals after our Revolution were for minimum government involvement, then when they became the government, they seemed to have changed.

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List