What Is A True Conservative And Why Don't They Ever Get Elected President

Biff_Poindexter

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2018
USA
What Americans Mean When They Say They're Conservative - The Atlantic

I remember when Bush got elected and how we were told that he is a "true conservative" -- then after 8 years of Bush, we were told that he was never really a "true conservative"

When McCain ran for office, he wasn't considered a "true conservative" but his running mate Sarah Palin was not only considered a "true conservative" -- but she was destined to be the greatest political figure since Ronald Reagan -- it took McCain dying for most republicans to remember Sarah Palin still existed.

When Mitt Romney ran for office, we were told that he wasn't exactly a "true conservative" -- but since he was a businessman, he would be a great president -- but now, outside of Mormons in Utah, not many people are willing to admit they were huge Romney supporters.

So I ask, since for the past 40 years, the GOP hasn't ever nominated what they would proudly admit is a "true conservative" -- is Trump now that "true conservative" -- or will republicans years from now also opine about how Trump wasn't really a "true conservative"

I remember when Bush got elected and how we were told that he is a "true conservative" -- then after 8 years of Bush, we were told that he was never really a "true conservative"

When McCain ran for office, he wasn't considered a "true conservative" but his running mate Sarah Palin was not only considered a "true conservative" -- but she was destined to be the greatest political figure since Ronald Reagan -- it took McCain dying for most republicans to remember Sarah Palin still existed.

When Mitt Romney ran for office, we were told that he wasn't exactly a "true conservative" -- but since he was a businessman, he would be a great president -- but now, outside of Mormons in Utah, not many people are willing to admit they were huge Romney supporters.

So I ask, since for the past 40 years, the GOP hasn't ever nominated what they would proudly admit is a "true conservative" -- is Trump now that "true conservative" -- or will republicans years from now also opine about how Trump wasn't really a "true conservative"

We had a true conservative elected president...his name was Calvin Coolidge.

What he have in the country today are social conservatives, fiscally they are as big spending as the liberals.

A conservative's arch enemy isn't liberals; it's evolution. A "true conservative" who would have to be against Social Security's very existence is not going to get elected to major public office.

You can't really put a "D" or "R" label on Pres. Trump.

In reality, he is the country's first "Independent" president. .. :cool:
Naw, he's America's first MR President, a triumph and an inspiration for special needs individuals everywhere.

A person that was fiscally conservative but was pro-choice, pro-gay marriage could never make it past a primary, primary voters tend to be the more extreme of the parties. This is what has been happening my whole adult life, people on the "right" have been voting for social conservatives, and for a large majority of these voters it comes down to a single issue, abortion.

A conservative's arch enemy isn't liberals; it's evolution. A "true conservative" who would have to be against Social Security's very existence is not going to get elected to major public office.
Why not?

How is that any more extreme than wanting single payer health care and the absolute destruction of private health insurance companies?

A person that was fiscally conservative but was pro-choice, pro-gay marriage could never make it past a primary, primary voters tend to be the more extreme of the parties. This is what has been happening my whole adult life, people on the "right" have been voting for social conservatives, and for a large majority of these voters it comes down to a single issue, abortion.
Pro-choice and pro-gay marriage candidates win all the time in the Republican primaries.

Pro-life Democrats who reject gay marriage literally can’t even run for office without Antifa coming after them.

A true conservative couldn’t get elected today, and being a true conservative has nothing to do with being opposed to abortion. It means smaller central government with social spending done primarily by the states, strong military, and personal freedom and responsibility.

What he have in the country today are social conservatives, fiscally they are as big spending as the liberals.
I'd say Jefferson and Reagan, too. Reagan's biography is much like Coolidge's, even.

Pro-choice and pro-gay marriage candidates win all the time in the Republican primaries.

Pro-life Democrats who reject gay marriage literally can’t even run for office without Antifa coming after them.

Name me the last pro-choice to win the GOP presidential primary.

I'd say Jefferson and Reagan, too. Reagan's biography is much like Coolidge's, even.

:21::21::21::21::21::21::21::21::21::21:

The debt went up 186% under Reagan and you call him a Conservative! and compare him to Coolidge none the less

You just made me spit coffee on my keyboard while laughing!

Add to this that Reagan had the largest non-military federal workforce in the history of the country and I have to just shake my head.

When Ronnie left office the total non-military federal workforce was 3,113,000. It has not been that large since then.

Ronnie was nothing like Calvin!

Nixon

McCain is a good example. He runs on repealing Obamacare, and even votes to repeal it when Obama was in office, knowing he would veto it.

Then when Trump becomes President and will sign the repeal, he changes his mind.

McCain did the same thing with the border wall as he told voters he would build it, but alas, he lied again.

This is life of a conservative.

Reagan's battle was with spend-aholic liberals, just like Coolidge's was. Course, in the 20s, the country still hadn't gone through the Progressive Era like it had in the 80s. The progresive bell in the 80s was much more difficult to unring.

Nixon

I rest my case. 5 years before RvW was the last time.

Nixon

And pro-life Democrats can’t even win primaries in red states like Missouri.

You have no “case”.

Nixon

And pro-life Democrats can’t even win primaries in red states like Missouri.

You have no “case”.

So, both sides are equally tied to one issue, how does that change why fiscal conservatives cannot make it through primaries?

Actually your point about Missouri strengthens my case that primary voters tend to be the more extreme of the parties

You can't really put a "D" or "R" label on Pres. Trump.

In reality, he is the country's first "Independent" president. .. :cool:
Who's base just happens to be the hardest of hardcore Republicans, right?

5c8.jpg

Forum List

Back