What Is A True Conservative And Why Don't They Ever Get Elected President

Somebody named "Connor Friedersdorf" writes an editorial for a magazine nobody reads and the crazy left calls it the definitive work on conservatism while they are threatening the President with freaking murder. What's wrong with this picture?

Last edited:
What Americans Mean When They Say They're Conservative - The Atlantic

I remember when Bush got elected and how we were told that he is a "true conservative" -- then after 8 years of Bush, we were told that he was never really a "true conservative"

When McCain ran for office, he wasn't considered a "true conservative" but his running mate Sarah Palin was not only considered a "true conservative" -- but she was destined to be the greatest political figure since Ronald Reagan -- it took McCain dying for most republicans to remember Sarah Palin still existed.

When Mitt Romney ran for office, we were told that he wasn't exactly a "true conservative" -- but since he was a businessman, he would be a great president -- but now, outside of Mormons in Utah, not many people are willing to admit they were huge Romney supporters.

So I ask, since for the past 40 years, the GOP hasn't ever nominated what they would proudly admit is a "true conservative" -- is Trump now that "true conservative" -- or will republicans years from now also opine about how Trump wasn't really a "true conservative"

A true conservative couldn’t get elected today, and being a true conservative has nothing to do with being opposed to abortion. It means smaller central government with social spending done primarily by the states, strong military, and personal freedom and responsibility.

IOW, it's hard to beat Santa Claus. When you run on a platform that translates into "I'm not going to give you stuff that other people worked hard to earn", and your opponent runs on one that translates into "I'm going to give you lots of stuff that other people worked hard to earn", it's a tough battle.
It worked for corporate tax cuts -- why can't those who are not in the top 10% of the country not expect similar benefits for stuff THEY THEMSELVES worked hard to earn -- especially when those programs work better than the BS those top 10% feels we deserve

Sure. Let's cut government spending so we can cut taxes further.

What Americans Mean When They Say They're Conservative - The Atlantic

I remember when Bush got elected and how we were told that he is a "true conservative" -- then after 8 years of Bush, we were told that he was never really a "true conservative"

When McCain ran for office, he wasn't considered a "true conservative" but his running mate Sarah Palin was not only considered a "true conservative" -- but she was destined to be the greatest political figure since Ronald Reagan -- it took McCain dying for most republicans to remember Sarah Palin still existed.

When Mitt Romney ran for office, we were told that he wasn't exactly a "true conservative" -- but since he was a businessman, he would be a great president -- but now, outside of Mormons in Utah, not many people are willing to admit they were huge Romney supporters.

So I ask, since for the past 40 years, the GOP hasn't ever nominated what they would proudly admit is a "true conservative" -- is Trump now that "true conservative" -- or will republicans years from now also opine about how Trump wasn't really a "true conservative"
Every Republican president is the "most conservative president ever", until he fucks up and is relegated to RINO status.

Forum List

Back