What I Don't Understand About Ohio's New Gun Laws

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that we are now allowed to openly carry,.. BUT if I ever choose to carry, I would want to be properly trained first, and if I am with somebody who is carrying, I would want to know that they are properly trained to protect me. You can't drive a car until you pass a test and earn your license, so I think that the same thing should apply to gun owners.

Edit: My mistake: This goes into effect on June 13th.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that we are now allowed to openly carry,.. BUT if I ever choose to carry, I would want to be properly trained first, and if I am with somebody who is carrying, I would want to know that they are properly trained to protect me. You can't drive a car until you pass a test and earn your license, so I think that the same thing should apply to gun owners.

Excellent, I hadn't heard this, now in Ohio at least carjackers and muggers won't know whether we are armed when they attack us.

I see from your article that DeWine also got a "Stand Your Ground" law passed! I love those, that is so right.

DeWine for President.

• Banned
Excellent, I hadn't heard this, now in Ohio at least carjackers and muggers won't know whether we are armed when they attack us.

I see from your article that DeWine also got a "Stand Your Ground" law passed! I love those, that is so right.

DeWine for President.

I know and I agree one hundred percent, I just don't understand why the no need for training and a license. Background checks don't do much good anyways so I understand that part, but I don't understand the no need for training part. :/

Open carry is something you should avoid at all costs. Doing it tends to freak out bystanders and the general public in business establishments you might frequent and it paints a giant shoot me first sign on your forehead. Always carry concealed if you can do so legally in your state. Just because you know you're carrying doesn't mean anyone else needs to . . . until that moment comes when you're called on to defend innocent lives. Carry concealed and keep it between you and your maker.

Open carry is something you should avoid at all costs. Doing it tends to freak out bystanders and the general public in business establishments you might frequent and it paints a giant shoot me first sign on your forehead. Always carry concealed if you can do so legally in your state. Just because you know you're carrying doesn't mean anyone else needs to . . . until that moment comes when you're called on to defend innocent lives. Carry concealed and keep it between you and your maker.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ---- you do have a good point here. I can't quite see myself packing a gun holster!! Not, you know, really my image. But if I were able to legally carry a gun in my purse, I would.

If crime gets bad enough here, I will anyway.

• Banned
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ---- you do have a good point here. I can't quite see myself packing a gun holster!! Not, you know, really my image. But if I were able to legally carry a gun in my purse, I would.

If crime gets bad enough here, I will anyway.

Yeah, it's a good point,.. but on the other hand if people know you're carrying they might try and fuck with you either.

I would want to be properly trained first, and if I am with somebody who is carrying, I would want to know that they are properly trained to protect me.

Someone who is carrying is not doing so to protect you, they are protecting themselves and their families.

About that training, what is that training going to tell me that isn't already obvious?

IMHO, a big part of our problems with mass shootings is that too many crazies are allowed access to guns. How was the Buffalo shooter not flagged in the NICS database? Granted that people are going to fall through the cracks if they have no prior history of mental illness, but maybe the police and school principals ought to be able to flag someone in the NISC who has displayed behavior that could at least warrant a delay in allowing a gun purchase(s).

The other thing is, maybe we should deny gun purchases until a person turns 21, unless a member of the Armed Forces or Police/Firemen. Does it solve the problem? No, but maybe it does in some cases where an 18 year old matures a little in 3 years. Maybe he/she turns 21 and buys some guns and shoots up a school or a church or whatever, but maybe not.

• Banned
Someone who is carrying is not doing so to protect you, they are protecting themselves and their families.

About that training, what is that training going to tell me that isn't already obvious?

IMHO, a big part of our problems with mass shootings is that too many crazies are allowed access to guns. How was the Buffalo shooter not flagged in the NICS database? Granted that people are going to fall through the cracks if they have no prior history of mental illness, but maybe the police and school principals ought to be able to flag someone in the NISC who has displayed behavior that could at least warrant a delay in allowing a gun purchase(s).

The other thing is, maybe we should deny gun purchases until a person turns 21, unless a member of the Armed Forces or Police/Firemen. Does it solve the problem? No, but maybe it does in some cases where an 18 year old matures a little in 3 years. Maybe he/she turns 21 and buys some guns and shoots up a school or a church or whatever, but maybe not.

1. How do you know that? If I was with a friend or family member that was carrying it would be to protect us both.

2. What do you mean about the training thing?

3. Waiting till a person turns twenty-one doesn't prevent a shooting from happening, it only delays it.

1. How do you know that? If I was with a friend or family member that was carrying it would be to protect us both.

The right or permit (if required) to carry a gun does not authorize anyone to go looking for a bad guy to shoot under the excuse that they were protecting someone else. Your life has to be in danger; you don't get to be a vigilante. If you and a friend or relative are walking down the street and you are attacked then you can defend yourself and shoot the bastards. But you ain't a cop, that's all I'm saying.

2. What do you mean about the training thing?

I mean I don't see the value of required training. What are you going to learn that you didn't already know?

3. Waiting till a person turns twenty-one doesn't prevent a shooting from happening, it only delays it.

You don't know that. Maybe in 3 years a person grows up a little and doesn't feel the need to kill a bunch of people. Maybe in those 3 years the person gets arrested for something or gets referred to a mental health facility somewhere and gets denied for gun purchases. There ain't no guarantees, maybe the person turns 21 and shoots up a school or a church anyway, but maybe not too.

The right or permit (if required) to carry a gun does not authorize anyone to go looking for a bad guy to shoot under the excuse that they were protecting someone else. Your life has to be in danger; you don't get to be a vigilante. If you and a friend or relative are walking down the street and you are attacked then you can defend yourself and shoot the bastards. But you ain't a cop, that's all I'm saying.

I mean I don't see the value of required training. What are you going to learn that you didn't already know?

You don't know that. Maybe in 3 years a person grows up a little and doesn't feel the need to kill a bunch of people. Maybe in those 3 years the person gets arrested for something or gets referred to a mental health facility somewhere and gets denied for gun purchases. There ain't no guarantees, maybe the person turns 21 and shoots up a school or a church anyway, but maybe not too.

The third paragraph is the only thing I somewhat agree with, the others are a bunch of bull.

The third paragraph is the only thing I somewhat agree with, the others are a bunch of bull.

Tell me about the value of training (2nd para). I've never spent the money for the training and here in Texas I don't have to if I want to carry, so I'm asking what the value is. What am I going to learn that I don't already know? It's mostly just common sense, right?

Tell me about the value of training (2nd para). I've never spent the money for the training and here in Texas I don't have to if I want to carry, so I'm asking what the value is. What am I going to learn that I don't already know? It's mostly just common sense, right?

First of all, a clarification about this new law,.. it might be for concealed purposes only, but it's better than nothing. I wasn't too sure by reading the article. Second of all, apply that logic to driving a car. Would you get behind the wheel if you didn't know how to control it? Sure it has pedals, a steering wheel, and a bunch of other levers and knobs, but it's about controlling it, not just knowing about it.

if I am with somebody who is carrying, I would want to know that they are properly trained to protect me.
I think you are mistaken. When I go anywhere and others aren't carrying it ain't my job to protect them, my only duty is to myself and my wife.

I think you are mistaken. When I go anywhere and others aren't carrying it ain't my job to protect them, my only duty is to myself and my wife.

Yeah, but I wasn't talking about just going somewhere with somebody. I was talking about if a family member was carrying and all of my friends certainly would want to protect us both if they carried or are carrying.

Forum List

Back