What Have The Arabs Given To The World In The Last 20-30-50 Years?

You're the utter idiot so you tell me.

What are you, like 12 years old?
I'm old enough to recognize the supreme international crime:
"The International Military Tribunal at Nuremberg, which followed World War II, called the waging of aggressive war 'essentially an evil thing...to initiate a war of aggression...is not only an international crime; it is the supreme international crime, differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole.'"
How old are you?

War of aggression - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

I realize that this is not "within the last 50 years" - but here are some thoughts.

What is the purpose of a thread like this? I think it's obvious.
Second - no modern achievements can stand alone. They did not occur in a vacuum and every great discovery or invention is built upon the achievements of earlier people. Threads like these seem designed to demean and diminish the true magnitude of those achievements and of course, of those people.

Has the Arab world contributed much to scientific advances in the last 50 years? Not so much, and that very issue is the cause of a certain amount of soul searching in the Islamic community. Many Arab scientists have ended up immigrating to other countries where their research has flourished under sponsorship.

Here is a good article, worth reading because it adds depth to what is otherwise rather shallow.

Saudi Aramco World Rediscovering Arabic Science

from the 9th -13th C. there were several schools of thought that rejected western/Greek science and preached the Quran literally. This lead to the end of the golden age, and it has been dead for the last millennium.

Religious fundamentalism doesn't usually mix well with science....according to wikipedia, the end of the age is variously given as 1258 when Bagdad was sacked by the Mongols and 1492 when the Christians conquored Granada. Arab countries have a serious brain drain going on.
I realize that this is not "within the last 50 years" - but here are some thoughts.

Second - no modern achievements can stand alone. They did not occur in a vacuum and every great discovery or invention is built upon the achievements of earlier people. Threads like these seem designed to demean and diminish the true magnitude of those achievements and of course, of those people.

Has the Arab world contributed much to scientific advances in the last 50 years? Not so much, and that very issue is the cause of a certain amount of soul searching in the Islamic community. Many Arab scientists have ended up immigrating to other countries where their research has flourished under sponsorship.

Here is a good article, worth reading because it adds depth to what is otherwise rather shallow.

from the 9th -13th C. there were several schools of thought that rejected western/Greek science and preached the Quran literally. This lead to the end of the golden age, and it has been dead for the last millennium.

Religious fundamentalism doesn't usually mix well with science....according to wikipedia, the end of the age is variously given as 1258 when Bagdad was sacked by the Mongols and 1492 when the Christians conquored Granada. Arab countries have a serious brain drain going on.

I really wonder why so many of the posters rely on Wikipedia so much. Years ago when all of us had to do reports for school, we either had a set of encyclopedias at home or went to the library to use their sets. I can see why, when there was an article on Wikipedia in my newspaper, some teacher said that she didn't allow her students to use that as a source for their reports as anything could be put in. In a regular encyclopedia, you have had scholars and researchers doing a darn good job of giving information to the public.

Caliphate Islamic history -- Encyclopedia Britannica

By the time an encyclopedia is printed and sold, it is already outdated. Wikipedia is updated within minutes. People who disagree and have evidence can edit the information. All references are included so anyone can double check the facts.
Quick and easy is why it is used. Any event is subject to some point of view as an explanation. Wiki should only be a first step to research. A directional arrow to help you on your way. Most schools and colleges do not allow quoting or references from Wiki. They want you in the library finding more details and research from other sources. Most people in college can use their library/student ID to access documents, papers, magazines, news, etc. from any library and online. Information and research the general public cannot access or would have to subscribe to.
If you don't know anything about a subject wiki is a good overview. If you really need details and more reliable info, go further on your own.

"The International Military Tribunal at Nuremberg, which followed World War II, called the waging of aggressive war 'essentially an evil thing...to initiate a war of aggression...is not only an international crime; it is the supreme international crime, differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole.'"
How old are you?

War of aggression - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
It's all a matter of perspective - and the winners make the rules. Tee hee.

I really wonder why so many of the posters rely on Wikipedia so much. Years ago when all of us had to do reports for school, we either had a set of encyclopedias at home or went to the library to use their sets. I can see why, when there was an article on Wikipedia in my newspaper, some teacher said that she didn't allow her students to use that as a source for their reports as anything could be put in. In a regular encyclopedia, you have had scholars and researchers doing a darn good job of giving information to the public.

By the time an encyclopedia is printed and sold, it is already outdated. Wikipedia is updated within minutes. People who disagree and have evidence can edit the information. All references are included so anyone can double check the facts.
Quick and easy is why it is used. Any event is subject to some point of view as an explanation. Wiki should only be a first step to research. A directional arrow to help you on your way. Most schools and colleges do not allow quoting or references from Wiki. They want you in the library finding more details and research from other sources. Most people in college can use their library/student ID to access documents, papers, magazines, news, etc. from any library and online. Information and research the general public cannot access or would have to subscribe to.
If you don't know anything about a subject wiki is a good overview. If you really need details and more reliable info, go further on your own.

I like Wiki precisely because it gives sources so you can look back. Wiki is an interesting system.

Growing up we had the Encyclopedia. My mother got an entire set and a set of associated books - people around the world. I LOVED it. I think I read them cover to cover (I can't remember how many volumes there were)....of course now, it's all superceded by the Internet. Both good - quick updating....and bad...very little fact checking (you have to have the ability to critically think and fact check on your own). I do miss the Encyclopedia though - and the wealth of worlds it opened up to me :)

What Have The Arabs Given To The World In The Last 20-30-50 Years?

The quick release vest?

Yet despite that Sally, your source gave essentially the same information as Wikipedia gave me:

"...it ceased to exist with the Mongol destruction of Baghdad in 1258"

One of the proposed endpoints of the Islamic Golden Age.

the arabs did just as much as all the rest of us.
Over the past 50 years or so?

Unlikely.

Their glory days are 1000-1300 years in the past.

So far back in time now that it's been forgotten by much of the world.

Sad that it is forgotten when it is the foundation of many modern achievements.

Sad that it is forgotten by people who themselves glorify ancient historical rights.

Unlikely.

Sad that it is forgotten by people who themselves glorify ancient historical rights.
Arabic contributions to science, medicine, etc., built upon the remnants of such knowledge in the Classical Age, and, of course, during their heyday, they did some good original and innovative work themselves, in their various academies, but, like the Greeks of Antiquity, that was a long, long, long time ago, and they degenerated within a few centuries.

Yet despite that Sally, your source gave essentially the same information as Wikipedia gave me:
"...it ceased to exist with the Mongol destruction of Baghdad in 1258" One of the proposed endpoints of the Islamic Golden Age.
The ministers, administrators, soldiers of the Baghdad caliphate weren't arabs, of course, - iranians, turks, turkomen, kurds, circassians, all converts. Pure indigenous arab culture had given the world scheiß.

The elephant in the room in talking about Arabs is their cultural practices that cripple them compared to the west and the chief among these is the fact they are so seriously inbred. Generation after generation of incest has certain outcomes, and their practice of first cousin marriage, or marriage between uncle and niece is so widespread as to result in a gradual decline in intelligence and mental stability. Ever hear of the term "hybrid vigor" folks? Well, you don't get that in a misogynistic, insular culture where men control the women of their clan and use their nieces and cousins to build blood ties.

With so much emphasis on their inbreeding, Arabs have also not developed the same sorts of attitudes towards innovation, intellectual integrity, pluralism, democracy, or any of a myriad number of things we take for granted in the west. You add in the religious element that emphasizes obedience, conformity, and subjugation to dogma, and does so while preaching a sense of enormous superiority over all others, and it's pretty easy to understand why they spend so much time blowing things up. They are taught they are superior, but their own inbred culture prevents them from amounting to much, and so they lash out in anger at those who HAVE accomplished something.

So, like, senile then?
Like Gaza,
Gaza_War-child.jpg

then and now.

when I was a kid (long long ago----and still beautiful) encyclopedia papers were disdained------so I went to the library----got some "books" out------put them in the "bibliography" and wrote from the encyclopecia Britannica---------anyway

old question should still be asked. If Islam and the arab states are so great, why have so many migrated west to live on welfare? Why do they want to live in the west if they are so angry?
What have arabs given to their own people? Why do mosques preach jihad instead of peace? Why are so many illiterate or under educated, especially the women? Why don't they fix their own systems instead of demanding the west submit to them?
Too many muslims today believe jihad (war) is a demand of Islam and that killing others is required by Allah. If Mohammed beheaded his enemies them muslims must also behead those who might be perceived as enemies, those who insult them and their religion in some way or those who do not submit.
Islam today and how muslims and none muslims interact is so different from 40 or 50 yrs ago. There was tribal and political violence occasionally but not like today. This madness was brewed and left to simmer a long time. This attitude of anger and rage was created.
I'm glad to see more muslims stand up and say not in my name, but every muslims in every country should be standing up not handing out guns.

when I was a kid (long long ago----and still beautiful) encyclopedia papers were disdained------so I went to the library----got some "books" out------put them in the "bibliography" and wrote from the encyclopecia Britannica---------anyway

Now a teach can submit a paper to have it checked for plagiarism and correct references.

I honestly can't remember if we were specifically told not to use encyclopedia references, I do remember we had to use the library and books for references...:lol: you were a clever student!

Unlikely.

Arabic contributions to science, medicine, etc., built upon the remnants of such knowledge in the Classical Age, and, of course, during their heyday, they did some good original and innovative work themselves, in their various academies, but, like the Greeks of Antiquity, that was a long, long, long time ago, and they degenerated within a few centuries.

I agree with you up to a point, Aris. Sure things change every year in many things -- current events, modern technoilogy, etc., but you can't change history. That is in the past. The people who have worked on these encyclopedias have researched thoroughly about the past, and no one can claim that they haven't done their job. I am in agreement with that teacher that students shouldn't be relying on Wikipedia when so much is thrown in and not checked out like is done with regular encyclopedias.

old question should still be asked. If Islam and the arab states are so great, why have so many migrated west to live on welfare? Why do they want to live in the west if they are so angry?

I don't know if anyone is saying Islam and arab states arab states are "so great". Islam varies around the world, so maybe it should be seperated out from the question of Arab states.

Have so many migrated west to "live on welfare"? Or does it depend on which country and immigrant group you are talking about? European states, which have very generous "welfare" systems do have a problem with immigrants coming over for that reason but it's not just Muslim immigrants - there is a large amount of immigration from East European countries and African countries that are not necessarily Islamic. And it IS a problem...

Not all of them are angry at "the West" either. The question of "integration" is one constantly being argued back and forth. One side claims they refuse to integrate. The other side claims they are no different than other immigrant group. What the first ignores is that they aren't a single "group" but that they culturally vary depending on where they are from, their educational levels, their cultures.

The Muslim effect on immigrant integration in France - The Washington Post
This summer, the Monkey Cage ran a series of posts debating whether the news about Muslim integration in France was good or bad. On one hand, scholars have argued that large proportions of Muslims claim they feel French. Yet others have emphasized instead that Muslims in France remain distinctive on a number of key integration measures. A possible explanation for apparently contradictory findings is that integration can be an elusive term, and our conclusions depend on how integration is measured.

This may be true, but a more likely explanation is that existing research is not actually measuring Muslim integration in France. To do so, one would have to compare two groups of immigrants who are similar in all respects except for their religious identity, an incredibly difficult task in France, where most Muslim immigrants come from North Africa and with few non-Muslim counterparts. In the Trajectories and Origins survey employed by Bleich and Maxwell, for example, 56 percent of the Muslim sample is Maghrebi, such that any characteristic of that sample can be attributable to the fact that it is Maghrebi as much as to the fact that it is Muslim. If we want to be able to say something about Muslim integration in France, and attribute findings to the Muslim factor, rather than the Maghrebi factor, we need to compare Muslim and non-Muslim immigrants from the same region – or better yet, from the same country. By doing so, we gain confidence that any difference in integration we observe is attributable to religious identity rather than to region-of-origin.

What have arabs given to their own people? Why do mosques preach jihad instead of peace? Why are so many illiterate or under educated, especially the women? Why don't they fix their own systems instead of demanding the west submit to them?

What have arabs given to their own people? That is a good question. Given the "brain drain" of accomplished arab academics and scientists immigrating to the west, research opportunities and support are not one of them. I don't think many of those countries offer a good social safety net either. But then, in some of the countries built on oil wealth, there are huge social subsidies, high unemployment among men and little need for employment so menial labor is accomplished by immigrants who are often poorly treated and as non-citizens, not eligible for subsidies.

Too many muslims today believe jihad (war) is a demand of Islam and that killing others is required by Allah. If Mohammed beheaded his enemies them muslims must also behead those who might be perceived as enemies, those who insult them and their religion in some way or those who do not submit.
Islam today and how muslims and none muslims interact is so different from 40 or 50 yrs ago. There was tribal and political violence occasionally but not like today. This madness was brewed and left to simmer a long time. This attitude of anger and rage was created.
I'm glad to see more muslims stand up and say not in my name, but every muslims in every country should be standing up not handing out guns.

It's different but, it's also not the same with all Muslims. I think there are many different reasons for it. I also think governments share the blame - whether it's a legacy of foreign interference in those countries or the fact that the leadership of those countries have been looking the other way and allowing the anger and rage to build because as long as it's directed towards the outside (the West) it keeps the focus away from the problems of the regime itself.

Forum List

Back