What happens if Biden resigns?

They don't care if Harris is worse or not. If Harris ever becomes president then the Democrats lose the tie-breaking vote in the Senate for as long as it takes to nominate AND CONFIRM a new VP. And in order to do that they'll need at least one Repub to vote with them.

I highly doubt that a sitting president can use a recess appointment to bypass congressional approval to confirm his nominee for the vacant VP office. Section 2 of the 25th Amendment requires a confirmation in the House and the Senate by a majority vote. I do not believe the SCOTUS would permit Kamala Harris to nominate her own VP and also confirm that nominee via a recess appointment. I don't believe a Supreme Court justice can be appointed and confirmed that way either, otherwise Obama would have done so and we'd have Merrick Garland on the SCOTUS bench.

And then there's this: once Biden resigns or leaves office and Kamala Harris is sworn in as president, she can nominate whoever she wants to as her pick for the VP job, BUT - at that point she cannot cast the tie-breaking vote in the Senate. And no one else can either unless and until someone is nominated and confirmed by the Congress. SO - the Senate has to vote to go into recess and the GOP could block that. The GOP would not be in control of the Senate, but neither would the democrats.
Uh, no, if that were to happen, Patrick Leahy would be the tie breaker, should there be a tie in the Senate.

Jesus-H-Tap-Dancing-Christ-on-a-Crutch...

Look at all the Trump worshipers baying at the moon about absolutely nothing...

Dumbest thread I've seen all week...

There are 3 ways that I know of to remove a sitting president:

1. Impeachment in the House and a conviction in the senate by a 2/3 vote for removal from office. Let's be honest, that ain't going to happen.

2. 25th Amendment. The Congress has to pass this through both chambers. That ain't going to happen either. Here's the problem for the democrats: once they do that, Kamala becomes the prez and there is no VP, which means they don't have the tie-breaker in any vote that goes 50-50. Kamala would have to nominate somebody, and the House and Senate would have to confirm that by a majority vote, which means 51-49 or better. IOW, a Repub would have to vote for Kamala's nominee, and that is a big deal because 50-50 doesn't cut it. So, without at least one Repub on their side, the Dems can't do shit in the Senate cuz they don't have the tie-breaking vote (no VP).

3. Biden can just resign, no impeachment and no 25th Amendment action. Same deal, as I understand it. When Nixon resigned, he nominated Gerald R. Ford to be his VP, and that nomination was confirmed by the House and the Senate by a wide majority. Would the Senate give up their power to block all democratic legislation without some bipartisan action? Doubtful.

So, will Joe step aside, or be forced to step aside? I don't think so, the democrats need Kamala Harris as the VP to cast tie-breaking votes in the Senate so they can pass stuff and confirm Supreme Court Justices. Clearly he is not up to the job; everybody knew it before the election, most of the time he couldn't even get out to campaign. And now we see that most of the time he isn't able to perform the duties of the presidency.

Do you need some kleenex now that you're done jerking off to your wet dream that Joe isn't up to the job. He seems to be doing a WHOLE lot better at it than Donald Trump.

Jesus-H-Tap-Dancing-Christ-on-a-Crutch...

Look at all the Trump worshipers baying at the moon about absolutely nothing...

Dumbest thread I've seen all week...
And getting it wrong, to boot. The President pro tempore fills in for a vice president when there is no vice president or the vice president can't perform his or her duties. This was a question that was answered during the 2020 election when there was a suggestion Pence might refuse to count the electors on Insurrection Day to prevent the certification of the the election. The answer was, the President pro tempore, Chuck Grassley at that time, would have filled in for him.

When the vice president is absent, the president pro tempore presides over the Senate. Junior senators fill in as presiding officer when neither the vice president nor president pro tempore is on the Senate Floor.
From your president pro tempore link:

In the absence of the vice president, the president pro tempore may administer all oaths required by the Constitution, may sign legislation, may jointly preside with the Speaker of the House when the two houses sit together in joint sessions or joint meetings, and may fulfill all other obligations of the presiding officer. Unlike the vice president, however, the president pro tempore cannot vote to break a tie in the Senate.

that doesn’t give him two votes dumbass
I wasn't claiming he did. I was saying he would break the tie. But it seems I'm wrong about that anyway as I just found this...

In the absence of the vice president, the president pro tempore may administer all oaths required by the Constitution, may sign legislation, may jointly preside with the Speaker of the House when the two houses sit together in joint sessions or joint meetings, and may fulfill all other obligations of the presiding officer. Unlike the vice president, however, the president pro tempore cannot vote to break a tie in the Senate.

From your president pro tempore link:

Yes, I see that now.

I wasn't claiming he did. I was saying he would break the tie. But it seems I'm wrong about that anyway as I just found this...

haha you claimed he was a tie breaker…how would he break the tie then? math isn’t your strong point i guess

haha you claimed he was a tie breaker…how would he break the tie then? math isn’t your strong point i guess
LOL

Moron, you do know there can be a tie in the Senate even had Leahy been the tie-breaker, right?

No you wouldn't. You'd call him a "quitter" for leaving when he didn't have to.
The real issue is that the Progs and his family knew he was having cognitive problems. They put their agendas in front of the people. This is why there is distrust with our politicians. And his family is disgraceful for allowing it. Progs used Covid and City Insurrections with changes to voting and questions with it to steal an election with it. We are supposed to have allegiance to this.

Forum List

Back