What happens if Biden resigns?

No you wouldn't. You'd call him a "quitter" for leaving when he didn't have to.
I don't think Joe will quit unless he has to. With a bit less than 3 and a half years to go, it ain't out of the question that he might have to resign for health reasons. I do not see how anyone can not tell that he is in some physical and mental decline.

This 78-year-old man is certainly at risk. When Joe was three decades younger, in 1988, he suffered two brain aneurysms. Doctors at the time gave him a 50-50 chance of surviving.

"He's not a healthy guy," said Dr. David Scheiner in 2020. Dr. Scheiner was concerned about Biden's potential for a stroke. Biden receives treatment for an irregular heartbeat and high cholesterol. Joe has also undergone surgeries for gallbladder and partial prostate removal, and on his sinus and nasal passages to treat sleep apnea.

I'm not wishing the guy any ill will, despite our political differences of opinion. If he can make through his 1st term, then so be it. But frankly I see that possibility as very iffy. Hence, this thread.

Biden is not going to resign and there is no reason for him to.

Should that unlikely possibility occur Harris would become President and a new VP would be selected...as was done with Nixon.

They don't care if Harris is worse or not. If Harris ever becomes president then the Democrats lose the tie-breaking vote in the Senate for as long as it takes to nominate AND CONFIRM a new VP. And in order to do that they'll need at least one Repub to vote with them.

I highly doubt that a sitting president can use a recess appointment to bypass congressional approval to confirm his nominee for the vacant VP office. Section 2 of the 25th Amendment requires a confirmation in the House and the Senate by a majority vote. I do not believe the SCOTUS would permit Kamala Harris to nominate her own VP and also confirm that nominee via a recess appointment. I don't believe a Supreme Court justice can be appointed and confirmed that way either, otherwise Obama would have done so and we'd have Merrick Garland on the SCOTUS bench.

And then there's this: once Biden resigns or leaves office and Kamala Harris is sworn in as president, she can nominate whoever she wants to as her pick for the VP job, BUT - at that point she cannot cast the tie-breaking vote in the Senate. And no one else can either unless and until someone is nominated and confirmed by the Congress. SO - the Senate has to vote to go into recess and the GOP could block that. The GOP would not be in control of the Senate, but neither would the democrats.
Is the process any different than a Fed Judge?
No?
Well, there you go.

For the last 6 years of the Obama administration the House kept the President from making recess appointments by leaving one person on the floor.

Payback is, as they say, ....

If his one vote is part of the tie that is to be broken, then letting him break that tie would mean giving him a second vote.
Regarding legislation?

Possibly.

But the precedent is that a VP is chosen rather quickly

I wasn't claiming he did. I was saying he would break the tie. But it seems I'm wrong about that anyway as I just found this...

In the absence of the vice president, the president pro tempore may administer all oaths required by the Constitution, may sign legislation, may jointly preside with the Speaker of the House when the two houses sit together in joint sessions or joint meetings, and may fulfill all other obligations of the presiding officer. Unlike the vice president, however, the president pro tempore cannot vote to break a tie in the Senate.
how could he break the tie? try using your math skills there are only 100 senators with one vote each

Regarding legislation?

Possibly.

But the precedent is that a VP is chosen rather quickly
The more this sham goes on the more weapons and ammo will be purchased. You must realize this. Encroach on these peoples area of living as you keep pushing the buttons of chaos. Having leaders who live off a script is death. Harris is death. Biden was death decades ago. Pelosi is death. These three are not very good. Our nation does not have the courage to elect a person that has to sober us up. Trump was in that direction. And look what he put up with. Cruz would be even more so. Instead the something for nothing crowd has now taken control with a man in charge who has been an empty suit who was dangerous with power for a half century and now is President and has dementia. There are tens of millions of Americans in the hinterlands whose patience is wearing thin. And their tolerance when millions of prog voters evacuate their areas when bad things happen and rush to the Deplorable areas they hate will not be welcomed.

PUUUULLLLLLEEEEEEZEEEEEE

A Trumpinista commenting on the "mental decline" of literally anyone ranks right up there with the level of ignorance we see from all tiny Minded "conservative."

Thing is, though my Tiny Minded fool, Biden has been eating your lunch for 3 years now.
Maybe the problem is you?
I didn't vote for Trump the first time.... try again

There are 3 ways that I know of to remove a sitting president:

1. Impeachment in the House and a conviction in the senate by a 2/3 vote for removal from office. Let's be honest, that ain't going to happen.

2. 25th Amendment. The Congress has to pass this through both chambers. That ain't going to happen either. Here's the problem for the democrats: once they do that, Kamala becomes the prez and there is no VP, which means they don't have the tie-breaker in any vote that goes 50-50. Kamala would have to nominate somebody, and the House and Senate would have to confirm that by a majority vote, which means 51-49 or better. IOW, a Repub would have to vote for Kamala's nominee, and that is a big deal because 50-50 doesn't cut it. So, without at least one Repub on their side, the Dems can't do shit in the Senate cuz they don't have the tie-breaking vote (no VP).

3. Biden can just resign, no impeachment and no 25th Amendment action. Same deal, as I understand it. When Nixon resigned, he nominated Gerald R. Ford to be his VP, and that nomination was confirmed by the House and the Senate by a wide majority. Would the Senate give up their power to block all democratic legislation without some bipartisan action? Doubtful.

So, will Joe step aside, or be forced to step aside? I don't think so, the democrats need Kamala Harris as the VP to cast tie-breaking votes in the Senate so they can pass stuff and confirm Supreme Court Justices. Clearly he is not up to the job; everybody knew it before the election, most of the time he couldn't even get out to campaign. And now we see that most of the time he isn't able to perform the duties of the presidency.

And does it matter if he's not up to the job? The job is still being done.

And does it matter if he's not up to the job? The job is still being done.

We didn't elect Joe Biden so that someone else could pull the strings behind the curtain. He is supposed to be the CEO, the decision-maker, not someone else. He was not elected to be a figurehead, or a guy that sleeps all day until it's time to make an appearance. We elected him to do the fucking job, and right now he ain't doing so good at it. You say the job is being done, but not everybody would agree with that. He's supposed to be out there leading the way but instead he's hiding away somewhere.

Obviously it does not matter to you, but it does to a lot of other people. You would've elected a dead dog to get rid of Trump. And actually you came about as close as you can get.

how could he break the tie? try using your math skills there are only 100 senators with one vote each
LOL

Math isn't the issue here. Your lack of common sense is. All 100 Senators don't always vote on a measure.

We didn't elect Joe Biden so that someone else could pull the strings behind the curtain. He is supposed to be the CEO, the decision-maker, not someone else. He was not elected to be a figurehead, or a guy that sleeps all day until it's time to make an appearance. We elected him to do the fucking job, and right now he ain't doing so good at it. You say the job is being done, but not everybody would agree with that. He's supposed to be out there leading the way but instead he's hiding away somewhere.

Obviously it does not matter to you, but it does to a lot of other people. You would've elected a dead dog to get rid of Trump. And actually you came about as close as you can get.
He's doing better than the last guy at this same point.

Forum List

Back