What does the bible really say about it?

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Biblical Birth Control: The Surprisingly Contraception-Friendly Old Testament | Alternet

As many have already argued, we should not have to live our lives according to certain groups’ interpretations of religious laws. But as a student of ancient religious texts – I run a secular Jewish house of study for culture-makers in New York – I take real issue with these groups’ reading of the Bible, too. ...

My own opinion :

1517633_10151914025151275_336355053_n.jpg

But, not being a student of any god or any bible, I thought the article was interesting.

Biblical Birth Control: The Surprisingly Contraception-Friendly Old Testament | Alternet

As many have already argued, we should not have to live our lives according to certain groups’ interpretations of religious laws. But as a student of ancient religious texts – I run a secular Jewish house of study for culture-makers in New York – I take real issue with these groups’ reading of the Bible, too. ...
My own opinion :

But, not being a student of any god or any bible, I thought the article was interesting.

As a Christian, I don't trust AlterNet. Truth doesn't necessarily come from people who aren't Christian. I spent too many years at home doing Bible study to find out that someone teaching doesn't know how to do Biblical math. I look things up and have argued with people and I have a greater understanding from having studied it first hand. It is like information. Do you trust someone who give you information from 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand accounts? No. They don't do it in college unless you go to a really bad one.

The Biblical truth is:

1 Corinthians 7:5 Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.

the bible contradicts itself at times.

BTW its all second ,third, four, fifth and on and on hand accounts

Im not very impressed with the passages he selected proving the Bible is pro contraception or atleast not against it.

Ultimately, it's irrelevant to me because I dont think God has commanded us not to use any. I just have a problem with the government forcing people who do believe it a commandment of God to not use contraception or pay for the use of other's contraception.

It doesn't matter how I interpret the scriptures, or the young jewish friend who wrote the article. The Catholic Church does not believe in using contraception. They are not a Bible only Church. So when the Bible is absolutely silent on the matter they turn to ecclesiastical authorities and tradition for established doctrine. Much like the Jews would turn to teachings from their oral law.

I fail to see how being allowed to practice your religion as you freely chose creates a government run by a religious book.

when you give someone healthcare because they are your employee you don't get to decide what care they get.

that is up to them and their Drs

Cafeteria christians choosing the bible passages that agree with their previously decided agenda.

It makes your beliefs worthless.

OTOH, they didn't read the article and really, its not as though I expected honesty.

Cafeteria christians choosing the bible passages that agree with their previously decided agenda.

OTOH, they didn't read the article and really, its not as though I expected honesty.

Then what are you doing with us if you have already decided what the outcome is?

Also, I agree that Alternet tends to be more intellectual and accurate than you may be accustomed to but, if you actually read it, you'll find that it is not entirely liberal in scope.

=

Then what are you doing with us if you have already decided what the outcome is?

Actually, that's the question for so-called christians.

The so-called 'sin of Onan' was in fact coitus interuptus (withdrawing the male member just prior to climax to prevent a pregnancy.) So I'm not sure I'd agree the Bible's pro-birth control. OT at any rate.

My own opinion :

Wait? You use assumption and guessing to imply the truth? Who would have thought you of all people would lie about something like this?

The so-called 'sin of Onan' was in fact coitus interuptus (withdrawing the male member just prior to climax to prevent a pregnancy.) So I'm not sure I'd agree the Bible's pro-birth control. OT at any rate.

Are you referring to the old joke of
Q= "What do you call people who practice withdrawal as birth control?"
A= "Parents."

Its a shame people didn't read the article for the other subjects but they can't take the chance.

Whatever, I think the history is fascinating and, not all ages were as sexually repressed as some people are today.

My own opinion :

Wait? You use assumption and guessing to imply the truth? Who would have thought you of all people would lie about something like this?
you act like that's an alien concept?
the bible and most especially the Joseph smith trilogy are packed tight with assumption and guesswork with the added bonus absolute fantasy..
people have always and will always lie about sex...

How are Catholics Cafeteria Christians when the scriptures don't really say anything about contraception?

Are you unfamiliar with the fact that the Catholics don't rely on the Bible alone?

And what does it matter if someone even believes in the Bible or not? If someone practice any religion, why should the government be allowed to force them to support something they oppose religiously?

Are you referring to the old joke of
Q= "What do you call people who practice withdrawal as birth control?"
A= "Parents."

Its a shame people didn't read the article for the other subjects but they can't take the chance.

Whatever, I think the history is fascinating and, not all ages were as sexually repressed as some people are today.

Who hasn't read the article?

And why did you ignore his clear reference? Why should we reject the reference of Onan?

My own opinion :

you act like that's an alien concept?
the bible and most especially the Joseph smith trilogy are packed tight with assumption and guesswork with the added bonus absolute fantasy..
people have always and will always lie about sex...

So you lie about sex?

Who is lying at sex?

How is that relevant to the conversation? How does someone lying about sex somehow make it okay for the government to force employers to pay for the contraception of their employees when it's contrary to their religious beliefs?

(raises hand) I didn't. As a general rule I don't read 3rd party commentaries on Scripture. More than capable of doing that for myself. Nothing against you Luddly, or the subject, it's just my wish not to muddy theological waters with non-Scripture.

(raises hand) I didn't. As a general rule I don't read 3rd party commentaries on Scripture. More than capable of doing that for myself. Nothing against you Luddly, or the subject, it's just my wish not to muddy theological waters with non-Scripture.

I read it. I wasn't very impressed with the pro contraception argument. I don't consider Songs of Solomon as terribly inspired and I think the interpretation of the passages to mean contraception is allowable was a bit forced.

The discussion of the Ester passages had a similiar problem. Simply because historically Persian Kings had their wives use contraception (something not even mentioned in the scriptures) it's evidence that God allows it? It's a bit of a stretch.

And the gloss over of Onan and the command to multiply and replenish the earth didn't bolster my impression of the interpretations. At best I think it's clear that the Bible doesn't address contraception at all thought it looks like there are arguments pro and con.

Personally, I think it's up to the couple to figure out with the Lord whether it's appropriate or not. The Catholic Church is completely fine by preaching against it because they don't base their religion on the Bible alone. Nor do I. Which is precisely why I think we should seek the answer from the Lord on our own.

Regardless of whether the Bible says anything about contraception, not all religions follow the Bible. Not every religious practice is in the Bible. So why should the fact that lud can produce someone who interprets the Bible to be favorable towards contraception allow the government to force those whose religious beliefs are against contraception to pay for contraception for others?

Im not very impressed with the passages he selected proving the Bible is pro contraception or atleast not against it.

Ultimately, it's irrelevant to me because I dont think God has commanded us not to use any. I just have a problem with the government forcing people who do believe it a commandment of God to not use contraception or pay for the use of other's contraception.

It doesn't matter how I interpret the scriptures, or the young jewish friend who wrote the article. The Catholic Church does not believe in using contraception. They are not a Bible only Church. So when the Bible is absolutely silent on the matter they turn to ecclesiastical authorities and tradition for established doctrine. Much like the Jews would turn to teachings from their oral law.

I fail to see how being allowed to practice your religion as you freely chose creates a government run by a religious book.

The Bible is NOT silent on it. If a woman of child bearing age lost her husband it was her brother's duty to impregnate her so her husband would have an heir.

There's Genesis 38:7-10:

7And Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the LORD; and the LORD slew him.
8And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother.

9And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.

10And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also.

[ame=http://askville.amazon.com/plant-thy-seed-belly-whore-cast-ground/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=2396415]Who Said: "It is better to plant thy seed in the belly of a whore than to be cast upon the ground"?[/ame]

It isn't the Bible, but there is an ancient text that says it is better to plant your seed in the belly of a whore than to let it spill onto the ground. I just can't recall which writing it is. According to the Bible the Jews were supposed to be as plentiful as grains of sand.

Forum List

Back