What does the bible really say about it?

The so-called 'sin of Onan' was in fact coitus interuptus (withdrawing the male member just prior to climax to prevent a pregnancy.) So I'm not sure I'd agree the Bible's pro-birth control. OT at any rate.

The sin of Onan could be not providing a line of seed for the Messiah to come through.

Could be, but then there was a line

The so-called 'sin of Onan' was in fact coitus interuptus (withdrawing the male member just prior to climax to prevent a pregnancy.) So I'm not sure I'd agree the Bible's pro-birth control. OT at any rate.

The sin of Onan could be not providing a line of seed for the Messiah to come through.
speculating are we?

What's wrong with speculating? I love speculating, thinking, figuring things out. How do you learn things if you don't consider them?

what exactly would be the point of lying about sex? Or lying period?

No one is asking you to pay for the birth of anyone elses child. Especially not the people telling us we should pay for our own lives.
no you're being dishonest about being dishonest...
yes we are being asked to pay for babies we did not make, why should believers get a pass?

Who exactly is asking you to pay for babies you didn't make?
gee lets see....every anti choice mob...for starters then there's prenatal care then the foster system ,the some times prison..more often a potters field ...
again why should believers be exempt for supporting programs that would effect this situation in a positive way?

speculating are we?

What's wrong with speculating? I love speculating, thinking, figuring things out. How do you learn things if you don't consider them?
guess you don't understand the definition of speculation..
your posts prove you don't
what you call speculation is actually a confirmation of a preconceived idea's or beliefs

Definition of speculation (n)
Bing Dictionary
spec·u·la·tion[ spèkyə láysh'n ]
opinion based on incomplete information: a conclusion, theory, or opinion based on incomplete facts or information
reasoning based on incomplete information: reasoning based on incomplete facts or information

Also, I agree that Alternet tends to be more intellectual and accurate than you may be accustomed to but, if you actually read it, you'll find that it is not entirely liberal in scope.

=

Usually some sinners are too busy with the preoccupations of the world or too busy fighting with God to hear God and God has to get their attention.

God expresses some of His truth through inspiration, illumination and revelation.

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Also, I agree that Alternet tends to be more intellectual and accurate than you may be accustomed to but, if you actually read it, you'll find that it is not entirely liberal in scope.

=

Usually some sinners are too busy with the preoccupations of the world or too busy fighting with God to hear God and God has to get their attention.

God expresses some of His truth through inspiration, illumination and revelation.

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
another too convenient bible sound bite...

no you're being dishonest about being dishonest...
yes we are being asked to pay for babies we did not make, why should believers get a pass?

gee lets see....every anti choice mob...for starters then there's prenatal care then the foster system ,the some times prison..more often a potters field ...
again why should believers be exempt for supporting programs that would effect this situation in a positive way?

So being pro life costs you money somehow?

speculating are we?

what you call speculation is actually a confirmation of a preconceived idea's or beliefs

Bing Dictionary
opinion based on incomplete information: a conclusion, theory, or opinion based on incomplete facts or information
reasoning based on incomplete information: reasoning based on incomplete facts or information

And how do you get complete information? By speculating and figuring it out.

I dont know why you are so anti thinking. It's not healthy.

no, anti choice costs everybody money, time and resources, ruins lives
pro life is pro nothing and anti everything...

Bing Dictionary

And how do you get complete information? By speculating and figuring it out.

I dont know why you are so anti thinking. It's not healthy.
really?
I just pointed out why what you do is not thinking.. " is actually a confirmation of a preconceived idea's or beliefs"
you still don't seem or want to get it so: Definition of thinking (adj)
Bing Dictionary
think·ing[ thíngking ]
rational: capable of using the mind to reason or reflect
forming of thoughts: use of the mind to form thoughts
judgment: opinions or conclusions arrived at

no, anti choice costs everybody money, time and resources, ruins lives
pro life is pro nothing and anti everything...

You do realize you really havent made an argument, you're just rambling, right?

When you provide some substance, there may be something to acknowledge.

I fail to see how my wife and I choosing to have children burdens anyone but us.

Biblical Birth Control: The Surprisingly Contraception-Friendly Old Testament | Alternet

As many have already argued, we should not have to live our lives according to certain groups’ interpretations of religious laws. But as a student of ancient religious texts – I run a secular Jewish house of study for culture-makers in New York – I take real issue with these groups’ reading of the Bible, too. ...
My own opinion :

But, not being a student of any god or any bible, I thought the article was interesting.

Let me get this straight, your position on religion is that it has to do what you want or its wrong.

How long have had these delusions of godhood?`

Cafeteria christians choosing the bible passages that agree with their previously decided agenda.

It makes your beliefs worthless.

OTOH, they didn't read the article and really, its not as though I expected honesty.

Funny thing is that you aren't actually talking to people who believe that contraception is a sin.

That would make any normal person feel so stupid that they wouldn't post for a week, I bet you don't even notice.

Are you referring to the old joke of
Q= "What do you call people who practice withdrawal as birth control?"
A= "Parents."

Its a shame people didn't read the article for the other subjects but they can't take the chance.

Whatever, I think the history is fascinating and, not all ages were as sexually repressed as some people are today.

The story of Onan was specifically mentioned in the article you referenced, and was dismissed because the proof texter decided it meant something else.

I thought you read the article.

Forum List

Back