What does the bible really say about it?

Also, I agree that Alternet tends to be more intellectual and accurate than you may be accustomed to but, if you actually read it, you'll find that it is not entirely liberal in scope.

=

It's certainly consistent with your level of intellect, puddly pillowbite...

Pretty lame to attack the source rather than face up to what it actually says.

Again, if you read it, you'll find its not all liberal.

But, if you're too cs to read and respond, that's okay with me.

you act like that's an alien concept?
the bible and most especially the Joseph smith trilogy are packed tight with assumption and guesswork with the added bonus absolute fantasy..
people have always and will always lie about sex...

So you lie about sex?

Who is lying at sex?

How is that relevant to the conversation? How does someone lying about sex somehow make it okay for the government to force employers to pay for the contraception of their employees when it's contrary to their religious beliefs?
yes and so do you...although you'll deny it..
as to your other comment why should we pay for the birth of a believers child because they didn't use protection.?

what exactly would be the point of lying about sex? Or lying period?

No one is asking you to pay for the birth of anyone elses child. Especially not the people telling us we should pay for our own lives.

As things stand these days, Chuck, I am MUCH more likely to get the truth from someone who doesn't call themselves 'Christian.'

I highly recommend that you stop looking to people for answers, but that you become a 'seeker' and read the ancient texts yourself. There are lots of them and lots of translations. Jesus said, 'seek and you shall find.'

I'm not looking for answers. I'm pointing out that Christians are nowhere near the lock on honesty and integrity that they would have us believe.

If you don't look for answers, you'll never find them.

(raises hand) I didn't. As a general rule I don't read 3rd party commentaries on Scripture. More than capable of doing that for myself. Nothing against you Luddly, or the subject, it's just my wish not to muddy theological waters with non-Scripture.

I read it. I wasn't very impressed with the pro contraception argument. I don't consider Songs of Solomon as terribly inspired and I think the interpretation of the passages to mean contraception is allowable was a bit forced.

The discussion of the Ester passages had a similiar problem. Simply because historically Persian Kings had their wives use contraception (something not even mentioned in the scriptures) it's evidence that God allows it? It's a bit of a stretch.

And the gloss over of Onan and the command to multiply and replenish the earth didn't bolster my impression of the interpretations. At best I think it's clear that the Bible doesn't address contraception at all thought it looks like there are arguments pro and con.

Personally, I think it's up to the couple to figure out with the Lord whether it's appropriate or not. The Catholic Church is completely fine by preaching against it because they don't base their religion on the Bible alone. Nor do I. Which is precisely why I think we should seek the answer from the Lord on our own.

Regardless of whether the Bible says anything about contraception, not all religions follow the Bible. Not every religious practice is in the Bible. So why should the fact that lud can produce someone who interprets the Bible to be favorable towards contraception allow the government to force those whose religious beliefs are against contraception to pay for contraception for others?

I notice that all of your preaching is really just your own opinion.

That's okay but its not as if yours is the only valid opinion.

i never said it was.

You on the other hand have denounced anyone who disagrees with yours as hypocrites. Because clearly you know what others believe and why better than they do.

So you lie about sex?

Who is lying at sex?

How is that relevant to the conversation? How does someone lying about sex somehow make it okay for the government to force employers to pay for the contraception of their employees when it's contrary to their religious beliefs?
as to your other comment why should we pay for the birth of a believers child because they didn't use protection.?

Once that fetus becomes a child, they'd let her starve in the street.

One of these days, you'll realize why that statement is a complete lie.

Ill help you out: Government programs aren't the only way or even the most effective way to help people. Quite the opposite.

Also, I agree that Alternet tends to be more intellectual and accurate than you may be accustomed to but, if you actually read it, you'll find that it is not entirely liberal in scope.

=

It's certainly consistent with your level of intellect, puddly pillowbite...

Pretty lame to attack the source rather than face up to what it actually says.

Again, if you read it, you'll find its not all liberal.

But, if you're too cs to read and respond, that's okay with me.

Which part do you think is conservative?

As things stand these days, Chuck, I am MUCH more likely to get the truth from someone who doesn't call themselves 'Christian.'

I highly recommend that you stop looking to people for answers, but that you become a 'seeker' and read the ancient texts yourself. There are lots of them and lots of translations. Jesus said, 'seek and you shall find.'

I'm not looking for answers. I'm pointing out that Christians are nowhere near the lock on honesty and integrity that they would have us believe.

who would claim that?

who would claim that?

good question

How can you blanket Christians?

I freaked out in grade 10 when I realized my king rocked for Anglicans because he wanted to not kill another wife.

I've searched so many. Closest to truth is LDS but I still have some questions. But we search. And we care enough to search.

I've searched so many. Closest to truth is LDS but I still have some questions. But we search. And we care enough to search.

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him as of God who gives to all men liberally and upbraideth not"

Questions are made to be answered. Sometimes we just need to take a leap of faith to get more information.

So you lie about sex?

Who is lying at sex?

No one is asking you to pay for the birth of anyone elses child. Especially not the people telling us we should pay for our own lives.
no you're being dishonest about being dishonest...
yes we are being asked to pay for babies we did not make, why should believers get a pass?

Last edited:
The so-called 'sin of Onan' was in fact coitus interuptus (withdrawing the male member just prior to climax to prevent a pregnancy.) So I'm not sure I'd agree the Bible's pro-birth control. OT at any rate.

The sin of Onan could be not providing a line of seed for the Messiah to come through.

no you're being dishonest about being dishonest...
yes we are being asked to pay for babies we did not make, why should believers get a pass?

Who exactly is asking you to pay for babies you didn't make?

Forum List

Back