What Do You Think?

Dana7360

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2014
I've been reading this board for years.

I haven't seen one conservative here post one positive word about wind and solar farms. All I've seen is bashing. In fact there's one thread that proudly crows about some place that banned windmills.

I've been driving to Colorado. Today I went through Idaho. On I 84.

Idaho is one of the most conservative red states in the nation.

In the very first town across the border there's a good size solar farm.

As I drove farther on I 84 I encountered a few wind farms. Tons of windmills all over the place.

I'm in one of the larger cities in Idaho for the evening and as I drove into the hotel I passed businesses and houses with solar panels all over the roofs.

Since the conservatives here on this board have shown their distain for solar and wind farms, what do you think about all these conservatives here investing in solar and wind farms?

I think solar is cool.
Of course, it is initially very expensive.
One day, we will have something more viable as far as "green" goes.

I haven't seen one conservative here post one positive word about wind and solar farms. All I've seen is bashing. In fact there's one thread that proudly crows about some place that banned windmills.

As I drove farther on I 84 I encountered a few wind farms. Tons of windmills all over the place.

I'm in one of the larger cities in Idaho for the evening and as I drove into the hotel I passed businesses and houses with solar panels all over the roofs.

Since the conservatives here on this board have shown their distain for solar and wind farms, what do you think about all these conservatives here investing in solar and wind farms?

Solar is too weak and it's too expensive.
Wing is better.
Texas produces the most wind power.
It's clean and renewable.

I go to see the folks in northwest Iowa and see huge windfarms. Windmills for miles.

And I wonder, "what the heck do they use to harvest those things with?"

I'm happily surprised to see people on this thread aren't totally trashing alternative energy.

My state started building our wind farms in the 90s. Now we have one of the largest in the nation.

It has given us the second lowest electric rates in the nation and made it possible to shutdown our coal fire plants.

It is established that wind and solar power can never account for more than 20% of our total energy consumed, and we are almost there, so this is not even an interesting topic.

I'm happily surprised to see people on this thread aren't totally trashing alternative energy.
My state started building our wind farms in the 90s. Now we have one of the largest in the nation.
It has given us the second lowest electric rates in the nation and made it possible to shutdown our coal fire plants.
Yes, Democrats are using the opportunity to put coal miners out of work.

I'm realistic about wind power.

It is an intermittent source of electricity that needs fossil fuel back up.
Windmills only produce about 25% of their rated capacity in actual power
They only have about a 20 year lifespan
We would have to cover hundreds of thousands of acres of land to get any useful amount of power from them.
They only work well in a small range of wind speeds.

Last edited:

Hi, i'm Sparky, guess what i do for a living....for 40 yrs i've been a bit player in the'alt energy' market

I'll say there's a lot more to it than the 2 dimensional white/black yes/no rhetoric the great unwashed spew out on the 'net

One needs to have an objective view....

~S~

Amazing what happens when the feds throw scores of billions of dollars in subsidies at things, no matter how expensive and inefficient they are.
You're talking about oil subsidies? All the military keeping oil shipping routes open?

It is established that wind and solar power can never account for more than 20% of our total energy consumed, and we are almost there, so this is not even an interesting topic.

80% renewable by 2050 possible

Renewable Energy Can Provide 80 Percent of U.S. Electricity by 2050

Just wondering, do you use alternative energy to power your life Dana? Do you drive a car? Have any items you use daily derived from fossil sources?

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk

Amazing what happens when the feds throw scores of billions of dollars in subsidies at things, no matter how expensive and inefficient they are.

I agree. If solar were viable everyone in the South would be using it. It isn't. I live in Florida and very few have solar.

That oil man Pickins?? Experimented heavily with wind power and found it impossible as well.

If the govt. pumps millions of our tax dollars into these two then we tax payers are footing the bill for unviable solutions.

If it works for them then go for it. Why not? I know plenty of Conservatives that use solar on their roofs. Not sure the point of the thread. It just has to work for each person in their situation and can't be forced upon them.

80% renewable by 2050 possible

Renewable Energy Can Provide 80 Percent of U.S. Electricity by 2050
The report says it is technically possible with modifications to our national electric system but to become a fact it would have to prove it is economically feasible, in other words, it would have to compete with natural gas and other energy sources and show it was no more expensive.

Just wondering, do you use alternative energy to power your life Dana? Do you drive a car? Have any items you use daily derived from fossil sources?

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk

I bought my first hybrid car in 2001. At that time I made the decision to never buy a regular gas car again and I haven't. I've owned 4 hybrid cars thus far counting that first one.

My state started building one of the largest wind farms in the nation in the 1990s. Now it's huge and all over the state. Windmills are being added every year. We also have solar farms.

My state has one coal fire plant left and it's being shutdown now. That plant provides energy for some farmers in the middle of nowhere in my state.

The electricity I use comes from water, natural gas, wind and solar.

So yes I use alternative energy everyday in my life.

The problem with extremists like you is you don't have the capacity to see beyond extremes.

Normal people who live here in reality knows that no one gets their energy from only one source. Most areas generate energy from a variety of sources. So that there's room for alternatives with fossil fuels.

A person can use both fossil fuels and alternative sources.

If you want to be stuck in the 20th century and use only one source for your energy have at it and have a great time with it.

I choose 21st century technology.

It looks like not all conservatives are extremists like you and see that using alternative energy is 21st century technology and they want to join the rest of us in the 21st century.

You can catch up or be left behind in the dust.

Forum List

Back