what do you think about rescue?

hazelnut

Rookie
Aug 13, 2014
I found my cat, Hazelnut, a feral kitten then five weeks old. she was screaming her little black and white head off under a bush, hidden under a leaf. i took her to the vet because i realized there was obviously something wrong with her. and the vet said she had feline herpes, and i had to put drops in her eyes. she had vaccination shots.

she's perfectly healthy now, and her eyes are ok. six months old and chubby. very happy. napping on my couch as we speak, the lazy bum.

how do you feel about rescue animals? did you ever rescue an animal? i took a few sick feral cats to the vet and then set them free on the same spot i found them. cant care for them all.

I found my cat, Hazelnut, a feral kitten then five weeks old. she was screaming her little black and white head off under a bush, hidden under a leaf. i took her to the vet because i realized there was obviously something wrong with her. and the vet said she had feline herpes, and i had to put drops in her eyes. she had vaccination shots.

she's perfectly healthy now, and her eyes are ok. six months old and chubby. very happy. napping on my couch as we speak, the lazy bum.

how do you feel about rescue animals?

People who rescue animals automatically go to "heaven" (or wherever).

did you ever rescue an animal?
I've saved a couple.

i took a few sick feral cats to the vet and then set them free on the same spot i found them. cant care for them all.

They were spayed/neutered, right?

All my pets are rescued. Two dogs and one cat from the spca, the youngest dog didn't even get into the spca because we took him from the owner as the owner was filling out he paperwork. Our youngest cat is also a feral. We found him and his three brothers (there was another brother that we didn't know about until he was months old, too late for us to get him as he was then full feral, he's still around too) under our shed two years ago. Over the course of two weeks we trapped them, one of them got stuck in the engine of my daughter's car, took 45 mins to get him out, the mom cat sat on the lawn across the street watching the whole time. Once we got him out, I showed him to her and said we'd take good care of him, gave her a can of food which she gobbled up and then left. They were about six weeks old, got homes for three of them (two are together with friend's of my daughter's) and we ended up keeping the last one. He was so small and scared and is now two years old, happy cat. Still frightened of people and loud noises though. Hides under the sofa or in the litter box when workers or people he doesn't know come into the house.

All my pets are rescued. Two dogs and one cat from the spca, the youngest dog didn't even get into the spca because we took him from the owner as the owner was filling out he paperwork. Our youngest cat is also a feral. We found him and his three brothers (there was another brother that we didn't know about until he was months old, too late for us to get him as he was then full feral, he's still around too) under our shed two years ago. Over the course of two weeks we trapped them, one of them got stuck in the engine of my daughter's car, took 45 mins to get him out, the mom cat sat on the lawn across the street watching the whole time. Once we got him out, I showed him to her and said we'd take good care of him, gave her a can of food which she gobbled up and then left. They were about six weeks old, got homes for three of them (two are together with friend's of my daughter's) and we ended up keeping the last one. He was so small and scared and is now two years old, happy cat. Still frightened of people and loud noises though. Hides under the sofa or in the litter box when workers or people he doesn't know come into the house.

good for you for rescuing them and giving them good lives.

Animal rescue is the single most noble pursuit of mankind. I have rescued many animals. I rescued a pit bull from a fighting ring. He was the smartest and most gentle dog I ever encountered. I've rescued many many cats.

I'm glad for your little cat. Glad she found you. Feral cats can be problematic but if they're gotten young enough, they are wonderful pets and companions.

I came from a very abusive childhood but I remember my father bringing home a box of kittens and their mother that he found at a construction site. As crazy as my family was, we/they always rescued animals.

My dogs and cats have always been rescues. I've never gone and pointed and said, I'll take that one. Each had their own story, their own past and their own problems but what has always struck me about every single one of them is how perfect they are. The animals that many consider to be trash are, in reality, utterly perfect. All they need is someone to give then a chance to be what they already were.

We lived out in the country boondocks for 15 years. About a quarter mile down our gravel road, a creek meandered over the way. Folks would dump their pets at the creek, at our front door, or up at the nearest intersection. I don't know how many animals we fostered, or how many litters for whom we found homes. It was a danged animal farm.

Fast forward, and we made it to the city with one dog and one cat. Once they're gone, that's it for me. Pets are convenient diversions and erstwhile companions, but they're expensive. If Mrs. H. wants another, she knows where to find the door.

Over $50 billion/year. For what? Companionship? Try saying hello to your neighbors why don't you?

US trade group Spending on pets at all-time high

Barking, yapping, meowing, feeding, peeing, pooping, vet bills, litter boxes, pet sitters, medicines, hair everywhere, sneezing...

All the while, we ignore each other.

Neighbors can make good pets. Adopt one today!

Mike A Gabor Facebook

over 1,000 (yes 1,000) ferals fixed and homed or colonized so far. Mike lives in my city- the 3rd worst in Canada for stray and feral cats. Windsor,Ontario. I take care of about 50 myself each day.

all have pics of each cat/kitten as well as a very valuable different "cat fact" under each cat pic.

Maybe just good pr, but everytime I hear about a rescue it's in the context of some heroic act the animal performed. I think though that it makes sense, I htink animals have a sense of being in jeopardy at a pound, and if you're the one who comes and gets it out of there, I think they understand that.

Forum List

Back