What do we pay these people for?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

"The legislation would repeal the Clinton-era Defense of Marriage Act and require states to recognize all marriages that were legal where they were performed. The new Respect for Marriage Act would also protect interracial marriages by requiring states to recognize legal marriages regardless of 'sex, race, ethnicity, or national origin.'"

Article IV, Section 1, U.S. Constitution: "Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State." [NOTE FOR THE CONSTITUTIONALLY ILLITERATE: Every State must recognize any marriage that is valid in the state where it was made.]

So here we have an intrepid group of Congress-persons who are prepared to go out on a limb and RE-STATE WHAT THE FUCKING CONSTITUTION ALREADY SAYS!

The purpose of this law, for those who have not already figured out, is to give Democrats ammunition in the next election cycle to excoriate those Congress-persons who voted against the law (because it is superfluous) as being antagonistic to "gay rights" and miscegenatious marriages. It has no effect and no other purpose.

Proponents neurotically cite Justice Thomas' recent statement that, given the nullification of the fictitious "right of privacy," which was mentioned in the Supreme Court’s 2015 Obergefell v. Hodges case, that holding might require a second look - not to nullify existing marriages, but to clarify the state of affairs going forward. Same-sex marriage and inter-racial marriage are legal...end of story.

As worthless as Congress is for the first 23 months of every session, that standard goes out the window during the "lame duck" session, which in a sane world would not exist.

What, exactly, do we pay these people for?

This is a vote which isn't about policy- Gay Marriage is already ok'ed by the Supreme Court, no one is opposed to "interracial marriage" outside of a few libs (many top politicians are married to broads of different races)- this is a vote about political posturing.

Consulting political analysts should be the key for the Senators and Representatives to determine their vote, on both sides of the aisle.

Unfortunately, the TRUMPCourt made passing this bill essential

I applaud the bipartisan support of all marriages

:clap:

It doesn't matter whether any politician supports gay marriage. It is a done deal. No politician can do ANYTHING to prevent or nullify any gay marriage. Period. The law is bullshit grandstanding.

Not to mention the fact that Congress has NO LEGITIMATE ARTICLE I POWER to do ANYTHING w/r/t marriage.

Lets look at the vote on Oberkfell

Roberts, Alito, Thomas voted against it
Add Gorsuch, Kavanaugh and Barrett and you have a nationwide repeal of Gay Marriage

Democrats pushed through this bill while they have the votes

It doesn't matter whether any politician supports gay marriage. It is a done deal. No politician can do ANYTHING to prevent or nullify any gay marriage. Period. The law is bullshit grandstanding.

Not to mention the fact that Congress has NO LEGITIMATE ARTICLE I POWER to do ANYTHING w/r/t marriage.
Roe v Wade was a done deal

TRUMP judges said it was not

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the TRUMPCourt made passing this bill essential

I applaud the bipartisan support of all marriages

What decision by the "Trump Court" has come down that makes this "essential" in the least?

The court ruled several years ago that Gay Marriage is part of the constitution. This Fake Legislation doesn't change that is the slightest. And it doesn't change the possibility that a future Supreme Court might rule gay marriage and sodomy as unconstitutional in the future either.

They have a 14th Amendment power of equal protection under the laws

Now the TRUMPCourt has the votes to repeal it

This law doesn't change that fact at all.

If Gay Marriage and Sodomy are ruled "unconstitutional", this act of congress isn't going to make a difference.

In fact, this law- if passed and signed- could be the impetus for a lawsuit which could outlaw male on male cheek busting from coast to coast.

I can’t believe how stupid Republicans think Americans are

“I will vote against this bill because Gay marriage is already settled law. “

How could they possibly say that after what we just went through with Roe v Wade

Go ahead Republicans, pander to the hate of your base
Vote against Gay Marriage

Make it part of your record as a Congress member, explain it to your constituents

I can’t believe how stupid Republicans think Americans are

“I will vote against this bill because Gay marriage is already settled law. “

How could they possibly say that after what we just went through with Roe v Wade

Go ahead Republicans, pander to the hate of your base
Vote against Gay Marriage

Make it part of your record as a Congress member, explain it to your constituents

Most Americans are against Gay Marriage, RW.

There have been many referendums on the issue over the years you should know.

And I don't think that everyone who tolerates the act is as hot to trot for sodomy as you are apparently thinking.

This is a vote which isn't about policy- Gay Marriage is already ok'ed by the Supreme Court, no one is opposed to "interracial marriage" outside of a few libs (many top politicians are married to broads of different races)- this is a vote about political posturing.

Consulting political analysts should be the key for the Senators and Representatives to determine their vote, on both sides of the aisle.
Or you could just tell the just and righteous religious zealots in the Republican party to drop it and leave it alone.

Most Americans are against Gay Marriage, RW.

There have been many referendums on the issue over the years you should know.

And I don't think that everyone who tolerates the act is as hot to trot for sodomy as you are apparently thinking.
Not even remotely true
Most Americans accept it as no big deal

Only Conservatives maintain their hatred towards gays

Same sex marriage, like it or not, is here to stay. Why? Because there are too many same sex couples already married to roll back the clock. SCOTUS is not going to "un-marry" all those people that are already married. And SCOTUS isn't going disallow future same sex marriages after there have been thousands of same sex couples already married.

OP, are you for restricting the American citizens' rights to marry whoever they want?

OP, are you for restricting the American citizens' rights to marry whoever they want?
Should all (adult )citizens be free to marry whoever they want, assuming that all parties to the marriage consent?

Same sex marriage, like it or not, is here to stay. Why? Because there are too many same sex couples already married to roll back the clock. SCOTUS is not going to "un-marry" all those people that are already married. And SCOTUS isn't going disallow future same sex marriages after there have been thousands of same sex couples already married.

I wouldn’t be so sure with the TRUMPCourt

Roberts, Thomas and Alito voted against Gay Marriage. I am sure Gorsuch, Kavanaugh and Comey would do the same

Let me see?
They would kick it down to the states in a minute

Most states would keep Gay Marriage, but some Bible Belt States would either ban it or substitute a Civil Union for gays

Most states would keep Gay Marriage, but some Bible Belt States would either ban it or substitute a Civil Union for gays
I think you may be right in that some states may pass laws so that it's not called "marriage" and call it a civil union instead; however, a civil union will simply be marriage by another name making such legislation pointless.

Forum List

Back