What did our founders really mean when they said “general welfare”?

I hate to tell u this

but there really are people who cannot take care of themselves... for whatever reason(s).

the dims love it when people think there are "useless eaters" because they have always wanted to kill off certain groups... that is why abortion is with us

hopefully not for long...

it is why the dims have ZERO respect for any life (or lives) but their own

not good

Nazism

Indeed. One of the first Constitutional "exploits". The general welfare clause is meant to require government spending to be for the benefit of the country as a whole. Not specific interests. Funny how it's used to justify the opposite.

No expenditure benefits every person equally

Fraid not Skippy

Congress has the power to do what is necessary for the benefit of We the People

Don’t like it……Take them to court and have the expenditure ruled unconstitutional
What does “general welfare” and tax expenditures share in common?

The real conceit of the modern interpretation of the general welfare clause is that it amounts to an "implied power" to spend money wily-nily as long as it's for "general welfare". If they meant it to be a power assigned to Congress, they would have enumerated like the other powers of Congress. It's nothing more than a limitation on the power to tax in the name of the other powers. It's saying taxes must be spent on the nation, and not to benefit Washingon's estate, or Haliburton's profits.

I'm pretty sure they did not mean the welfare state that the Left wants to deploy. Give a person a fish and he eat to day, bur give a person a fishing pole and he eats every day. But if you give a person a fish everyday then he has no need for a fishing pole.

If you voted for Trump there’s a good chance you’re a lot like me with regard to why....I voted for him on two policies almost exclusively...First and foremost on how he would deal with illegal Mexicans and the border and second on how he would yank lowlifes off the Democrat induced welfare plantation.
Anyhoo, as we approach the point where welfare reform will be visited I ask for your opinions on EXACTLY what you think our founders meant when they used the phrase “GENERAL WELFARE” in the constitution?

Attention all Smartest Guys In The Room, and legal scholars:
Please spare us the case citations such as the U.S. vs Butler case and the like. I’m interested in YOUR opinions.
No politics just pragmatism. Where is the economic sweet spot? Zero social support creates a world of Chaos and stepping over dead bodies.
We need some social support.
Housing? Need to put people in a place where they won't use the streets for sewers, where the elements won't kill them and where they can have at least minimal privacy. EBT....allows
Suppliers to produce in volume,
Volume usually lowers prices force everyone. Medical care: This is a problem...it's expensive and needs to be paid for.

Now having said all of that...our nation is not a bottomless supply well. Even if all of the incoming migrants supported themselves, which of course they do not...the resources like schooling, medical and housing are not limitless.... An open Border which is what we actually have right now despite the denial will overwhelm necessary services and create a have/have not rift in the populous. That will lead to open war in the streets. Count on it.

No politics just pragmatism. Where is the economic sweet spot? Zero social support creates a world of Chaos and stepping over dead bodies.
We need some social support.
Housing? Need to put people in a place where they won't use the streets for sewers, where the elements won't kill them and where they can have at least minimal privacy. EBT....allows
Suppliers to produce in volume,
Volume usually lowers prices force everyone. Medical care: This is a problem...it's expensive and needs to be paid for.

Now having said all of that...our nation is not a bottomless supply well. Even if all of the incoming migrants supported themselves, which of course they do not...the resources like schooling, medical and housing are not limitless.... An open Border which is what we actually have right now despite the denial will overwhelm necessary services and create a have/have not rift in the populous. That will lead to open war in the streets. Count on it.
The Cabrini green experiment failed and demofks didn’t learn

I'm pretty sure they did not mean the welfare state that the Left wants to deploy. Give a person a fish and he eat to day, bur give a person a fishing pole and he eats every day. But if you give a person a fish everyday then he has no need for a fishing pole.
I gave a Democrat a fish and he ate for a day. I taught a Democrat how to catch fish and he stole my damn vote.

Sure, since you think means tax cuts for the rich.
that's simply a stupid narrative and it's fking old. The Rich get no tax cuts we don't get. You can't even post one they got we didn't. Any fking day loser.

It's a fact you have no idea about the tax code and what is a tax cut.

that's simply a stupid narrative and it's fking old. The Rich get no tax cuts we don't get. You can't even post one they got we didn't. Any fking day loser.

It's a fact you have no idea about the tax code and what is a tax cut.
yeah know, if you house ever starts on fire, I hope the FD finds a higher ground somewhere and sprays water there hoping it trickles down to your spot.

yeah know, if you house ever starts on fire, I hope the FD finds a higher ground somewhere and sprays water there hoping it trickles down to your spot.
My fire department isn't paid by the federal government and covered in my property taxes. So like I said, you have no clue. And as I pointed out, you can't name one tax cut that eliminated us.

My fire department isn't paid by the federal government and covered in my property taxes. So like I said, you have no clue. And as I pointed out, you can't name one tax cut that eliminated us.
Sure, how did trickle down work in brownbacks Kansas?

Does this sound good to you? Started in 2010...

By early 2017, Kansas had "nine rounds of budget cuts over four years, three credit downgrades, missed state payments", and what The Atlantic called "an ongoing atmosphere of fiscal crisis". To make up the budget shortfall, lawmakers tapped into state reserves set aside for future spending, postponed construction projects and pension contributions, and cut Medicaid benefits. Since approximately half of the state's budget went to school funding, education was particularly hard hit.

In addition to budget problems, Kansas was lagging behind neighboring states with similar economies in "nearly every major category: job creation, unemployment, gross domestic product, taxes collected"

Does this sound good to you? Started in 2010...

By early 2017, Kansas had "nine rounds of budget cuts over four years, three credit downgrades, missed state payments", and what The Atlantic called "an ongoing atmosphere of fiscal crisis". To make up the budget shortfall, lawmakers tapped into state reserves set aside for future spending, postponed construction projects and pension contributions, and cut Medicaid benefits. Since approximately half of the state's budget went to school funding, education was particularly hard hit.

In addition to budget problems, Kansas was lagging behind neighboring states with similar economies in "nearly every major category: job creation, unemployment, gross domestic product, taxes collected"
what's that have to do with federal tax cuts?

The Preamble​

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Article I, Section 8, Clause 1:

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

The Preamble is the justification for the very existence of the Government and defines its purpose. A. 1 Sec. 8 makes it clear that the Government has the power to tax everyone to achieve that purpose.

Those give the government a pretty broad license to do whatever it deems to be in the General welfare, and to tax for that purpose.

If you voted for Trump there’s a good chance you’re a lot like me with regard to why....I voted for him on two policies almost exclusively...First and foremost on how he would deal with illegal Mexicans and the border and second on how he would yank lowlifes off the Democrat induced welfare plantation.
Anyhoo, as we approach the point where welfare reform will be visited I ask for your opinions on EXACTLY what you think our founders meant when they used the phrase “GENERAL WELFARE” in the constitution?

Attention all Smartest Guys In The Room, and legal scholars:
Please spare us the case citations such as the U.S. vs Butler case and the like. I’m interested in YOUR opinions.
The general welfare means the welfare of the people of the republic as opposed to the specific welfare of any particular subgroup.

I seriously doubt they’d have intended it to be anything less than just that clear.

Forum List

Back