What did our founders really mean when they said “general welfare”?

The Preamble​

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Article I, Section 8, Clause 1:

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

The Preamble is the justification for the very existence of the Government and defines its purpose. A. 1 Sec. 8 makes it clear that the Government has the power to tax everyone to achieve that purpose.

Those give the government a pretty broad license to do whatever it deems to be in the General welfare, and to tax for that purpose.
Only very ignorant folks imagine that the preamble has the force of law.

Instead, it is just a general statement about the specifics that follow in the actual articles of the Constitution.

If you voted for Trump there’s a good chance you’re a lot like me with regard to why....I voted for him on two policies almost exclusively...First and foremost on how he would deal with illegal Mexicans and the border and second on how he would yank lowlifes off the Democrat induced welfare plantation.
Anyhoo, as we approach the point where welfare reform will be visited I ask for your opinions on EXACTLY what you think our founders meant when they used the phrase “GENERAL WELFARE” in the constitution?

Attention all Smartest Guys In The Room, and legal scholars:
Please spare us the case citations such as the U.S. vs Butler case and the like. I’m interested in YOUR opinions.

"What did our founders really mean when they said “general welfare”?"

IM2, Moonglow and Lakhota get a free ride?

Only very ignorant folks imagine that the preamble has the force of law.

Instead, it is just a general statement about the specifics that follow in the actual articles of the Constitution.
They don't know what a preamble is. Hilarious. they think it's the articles.

show me a link
Sure

During Reagan's presidency, the federal debt held by the public nearly tripled in nominal terms, from $738 billion to $2.1 trillion. This led to the U.S. moving from the world's largest international creditor to the world's largest debtor nation. Reagan described the new debt as the "greatest disappointment" of his disappointments.

Reaganomics - Wikipedia

Sure

During Reagan's presidency, the federal debt held by the public nearly tripled in nominal terms, from $738 billion to $2.1 trillion. This led to the U.S. moving from the world's largest international creditor to the world's largest debtor nation. Reagan described the new debt as the "greatest disappointment" of his disappointments.

Reaganomics - Wikipedia
from your link

Prior to the Reagan administration, the United States economy experienced a decade of high unemployment and persistently high inflation (known as stagflation). Attacks on Keynesian economic orthodoxy as well as empirical economic models such as the Phillips Curve grew. Political pressure favored stimulus resulting in an expansion of the money supply. President Richard Nixon's wage and price controls were phased out.[11] The federal oil reserves were created to ease any future short term shocks. President Jimmy Carter had begun phasing out price controls on petroleum while he created the Department of Energy. Much of the credit for the resolution of the stagflation is given to two causes: renewed focus on increasing productivity[12] and a three-year contraction of the money supply by the Federal Reserve Board under Paul Volcker.[13]

In stating that his intention was to lower taxes, Reagan's approach was a departure from his immediate predecessors. Reagan enacted lower marginal tax rates as well as simplified income tax codes and continued deregulation. During Reagan's eight year presidency, the annual deficits averaged 4.0% of GDP, compared to a 2.2% average during the preceding eight years.

from your link

Prior to the Reagan administration, the United States economy experienced a decade of high unemployment and persistently high inflation (known as stagflation). Attacks on Keynesian economic orthodoxy as well as empirical economic models such as the Phillips Curve grew. Political pressure favored stimulus resulting in an expansion of the money supply. President Richard Nixon's wage and price controls were phased out.[11] The federal oil reserves were created to ease any future short term shocks. President Jimmy Carter had begun phasing out price controls on petroleum while he created the Department of Energy. Much of the credit for the resolution of the stagflation is given to two causes: renewed focus on increasing productivity[12] and a three-year contraction of the money supply by the Federal Reserve Board under Paul Volcker.[13]

In stating that his intention was to lower taxes, Reagan's approach was a departure from his immediate predecessors. Reagan enacted lower marginal tax rates as well as simplified income tax codes and continued deregulation. During Reagan's eight year presidency, the annual deficits averaged 4.0% of GDP, compared to a 2.2% average during the preceding eight years.
Yeah, and that new way caused our country to descend into debtor status.

Right in the link.

well except the Constitution list SPECIFIC things the Congress can spend money on and have authority over why would they list a general EVERYTHING clause before providing a specific list dumb ass.
Goes to intention of the dead founding fathers. Something you fuckups are always trying to do.

If you voted for Trump there’s a good chance you’re a lot like me with regard to why....I voted for him on two policies almost exclusively...First and foremost on how he would deal with illegal Mexicans and the border and second on how he would yank lowlifes off the Democrat induced welfare plantation.
Anyhoo, as we approach the point where welfare reform will be visited I ask for your opinions on EXACTLY what you think our founders meant when they used the phrase “GENERAL WELFARE” in the constitution?

Please spare us the case citations such as the U.S. vs Butler case and the like. I’m interested in YOUR opinions.
The thing is, most people in Congress do NOT care what the Founders meant. Spending is beyond out-of-control
l
And all I can say right now is they did NOT mean what we have in 2024! That isfor certain

The Founders were to a man classical liberals/libertarian (little L). As such they believed it not the role of the central government to provide any form of welfare, or if such was provided it should be extremely temporary and limited.

The "General Welfare" was the 'common good' or what increased opportunity, options, choice, liberty for every citizen. Therefore post roads; a common currency; a common language; certain laws, rules, regulations that prevented the various states from doing economic or physical violence to each other; making profitable trade agreements; providing general security against enemies within and without. . . all this contributed to the common good and benefitted all in some way while not advantaging any person or demographic over any others.

Goes to intention of the dead founding fathers. Something you fuckups are always trying to do.
The Disdain in your answer is exactly why you are a Cancer on this nation. You are basically pissing on their graves.

You Suck

the constitution does not give a general clause to spend on anything the Government wants or the section with detailed list of what is allowed would not be in it retard.
Ret

It is a statement of intention and meaning behind the constitution.

How is it possible you deny that?

The Disdain in your answer is exactly why you are a Cancer on this nation. You are basically pissing on their graves.

You Suck
I included dead because you constitutional republic maga fuckups are alway trying to find the intention from them. Then when they put it in writing you deny it.

Forum List

Back