What did our founders really mean when they said “general welfare”?

It is an off shoot of the Military so should be funded no more then 2 years at a time.
Off shoot????? No it is not. It has a completely separate mission.

Now you are making things up

Let's go further

No national parks
No FAA....hope your plane doesnt crash
No CDC
No VA. The va is not the military

Shall I go on? Lol

No. It couldn't have meant that. For the states are in themselves separate entities co-empowered with the Fed. The states to oversee their individual territories, and for the Fed to oversee that which affects all, collectively, both the states and the people within them which make up the states.

So, something cannot be good for a state if it is bad for its people therein, and vise versa, as such, the general welfare had to apply not to any one individual but to all who reside legally within the USA, which yes, excludes illegal foreigners.
Perhaps this will help.

The general welfare clause applied to the states of the United States not to the individual people of the United States.

Off shoot????? No it is not. It has a completely separate mission.

Now you are making things upon protect the land.

Let's go further

No national parks
No FAA....hope your plane doesnt crash
No CDC
No VA. The va is not the military

Shall I go on? Lol
There would be national parks as there is an obligation to protect the land. There would be an FAA as an instrument of interstate commerce. There would be interstate highways as the benefit is generally applicable to the states. There would not be a CDC, Department of Education, or department of energy. There would be no welfare checks or federal student loans. There would certainly be no National Endowment for the Arts or National Endowment for the Humanities.

There would be national parks as there is an obligation to protect the land. There would be an FAA as an instrument of interstate commerce. There would be interstate highways as the benefit is generally applicable to the states. There would not be a CDC, Department of Education, or department of energy. There would be no welfare checks or federal student loans. There would certainly be no National Endowment for the Arts or National Endowment for the Humanities.
You claim an obligation not listed in the constitution

Its fine for you to make up obligations it seems

You are spamming the thread now
I call it making the winning point but be my guest to report it.

"...The lessons of history, confirmed by the evidence immediately before me, show conclusively that continued dependence upon relief induces a spiritual disintegration fundamentally destructive to the national fiber. To dole out relief in this way is to administer a narcotic, a subtle destroyer of the human spirit. It is inimical to the dictates of a sound policy. It is in violation of the traditions of America..."
FDR, Annual Message to Congress, January 04, 1935

Afraid it does

It gives Congress broad power to help We the People
A Government of the people, by the people and for the people
To do for the people what the people can't do for themselves, not to do for the people what the people can and should do for themselves.

I call it making the winning point but be my guest to report it.

"...The lessons of history, confirmed by the evidence immediately before me, show conclusively that continued dependence upon relief induces a spiritual disintegration fundamentally destructive to the national fiber. To dole out relief in this way is to administer a narcotic, a subtle destroyer of the human spirit. It is inimical to the dictates of a sound policy. It is in violation of the traditions of America..."
This was the guy who created the new deal.....right?

HAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHA

This was the guy who created the new deal.....right?

HAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHA
Yep, that's the one. That's why he is such a credible witness when he said....

Yep, that's the one. That's why he is such a credible witness when he said....

New deal!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHA

New deal!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHA
I know. Which is why you should listen to him when he said...

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

------FDR

In these days of difficulty, we Americans must and shall choose the path of social justice… the path of faith, the path of hope and the path of love toward our fellow man.”----FDR

Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough.” -----FDR

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

------FDR
Sure... to a point. Beyond that point... "...The lessons of history, confirmed by the evidence immediately before me, show conclusively that continued dependence upon relief induces a spiritual disintegration fundamentally destructive to the national fiber.

Forum List

Back