What did McCarthy and the RINOs do that Was so Different from Previous GOP Congresses? Nothing. They Just did it Faster

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
From the WaPo, a list of Shutdowns from

I'll let you read it for yourself, if you don't mind giving them an email address to read it free.

Basically, it chronicles a long list of "shutdowns," in which nearly all of them ended in the Republicans caving in almost completely, often in exchange for unenforceable promises that were of course never kept. There were a few minor exceptions under Reagan, but nothing that addressed the issue of the expanding debt and growing deficits.

What McCarthy and his fellow borrow-and-spend Republicans did was to cut to the chase. They said to themselves 'Wellie, wellie, wellie, wellie, wellie, wellie, well. We can pretend to shut the government down, take the blame in the media for the non-existent suffering that will cause, and then cave, or we can just enlist a few Democrats to help us pass in spite of our GOP colleagues who have the bizarre idea that we are not hear to continue Pelosi's budgets."

It was they who "tore the bandaid off," by ending the budget fight before it began. I have some ideas for their motivation, but I'll let you comment on what I've said so far.

Maybe McCarthy did not anticipate such near-unanimous bandwagon jumping by the Dems in Congress. Not sure why. Why would they not gleefully vote for everything they wanted? I think McCarthy also anticipated at least enough Dems would support his Speakership to save him, as Matt Gaetz predicted. Kevin and Matt got that one wrong.

Expecting Democrats to feel gratitude for a political favor is like expecting a hungry lion to have sympathy for the warthog he eats. Expecting a Democrat to reciprocate a political favor is like expecting the lion to take some grubworms to the warthog's family.

It would have been in the Dems best interest to keep Kevin around, as far as I can see. He would have played Santa Claus until January of 2025. But they are cagey and slick, so I'm sure they have something in mind for the next Republican Speaker.

I'll let you read it for yourself, if you don't mind giving them an email address to read it free.

Basically, it chronicles a long list of "shutdowns," in which nearly all of them ended in the Republicans caving in almost completely, often in exchange for unenforceable promises that were of course never kept. There were a few minor exceptions under Reagan, but nothing that addressed the issue of the expanding debt and growing deficits.

What McCarthy and his fellow borrow-and-spend Republicans did was to cut to the chase. They said to themselves 'Wellie, wellie, wellie, wellie, wellie, wellie, well. We can pretend to shut the government down, take the blame in the media for the non-existent suffering that will cause, and then cave, or we can just enlist a few Democrats to help us pass in spite of our GOP colleagues who have the bizarre idea that we are not hear to continue Pelosi's budgets."

It was they who "tore the bandaid off," by ending the budget fight before it began. I have some ideas for their motivation, but I'll let you comment on what I've said so far.

Maybe McCarthy did not anticipate such near-unanimous bandwagon jumping by the Dems in Congress. Not sure why. Why would they not gleefully vote for everything they wanted? I think McCarthy also anticipated at least enough Dems would support his Speakership to save him, as Matt Gaetz predicted. Kevin and Matt got that one wrong.

Expecting Democrats to feel gratitude for a political favor is like expecting a hungry lion to have sympathy for the warthog he eats. Expecting a Democrat to reciprocate a political favor is like expecting the lion to take some grubworms to the warthog's family.

It would have been in the Dems best interest to keep Kevin around, as far as I can see. He would have played Santa Claus until January of 2025. But they are cagey and slick, so I'm sure they have something in mind for the next Republican Speaker.

You (of course) left out the many times the "staunch conservatives" caved in to the blob when he signed off on $8T in new spending. Strange that.

The Democrats can't do a damn thing to the new Speaker. You're "we're always-a-victim" engine is running faster than normal. As we just saw, the real threat to the career of anyone dumb enough to be the speaker in this Congress comes from the right.

McCarthy is like the nazi who tried to kill Hitler. That doesn't mean he's a great guy. That just means that there was a shared goal at one time.

McCarthy was more untrustworthy than the average republican (which is saying quite a bit). There is a reason he was elected. As for "favors" the Democrats owe the GOP nothing.

It will be fun to see you throw the next guy under the bus. An early Thanksgiving gift.

You (of course) left out the many times the "staunch conservatives" caved in to the blob when he signed off on $8T in new spending. Strange that.
Once it got to the blob's desk, the Staunch conservatives, whoever you imagine that to be, had already lost control of whatever was signed.

In that case, what would not caving in have looked like?
The Democrats can't do a damn thing to the new Speaker. You're "we're always-a-victim" engine is running faster than normal. As we just saw, the real threat to the career of anyone dumb enough to be the speaker in this Congress comes from the right.

McCarthy is like the nazi who tried to kill Hitler. That doesn't mean he's a great guy. That just means that there was a shared goal at one time.

McCarthy was more untrustworthy than the average republican (which is saying quite a bit). There is a reason he was elected. As for "favors" the Democrats owe the GOP nothing.

It will be fun to see you throw the next guy under the bus. An early Thanksgiving gift.
Let them all go under the bus, who either dream up massive spending with no plan to pay for it, or go along with those who do.

Seems fitting. The social liberal democrats/RINOs are due a millstone ride to the ocean floor, and the fiscal liberals and their RINO enablers can enjoy it when the wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round.

Once it got to the blob's desk, the Staunch conservatives, whoever you imagine that to be, had already lost control of whatever was signed.
So they lost? Really. I thought you guys had won the house?
In that case, what would not caving in have looked like?

Let them all go under the bus, who either dream up massive spending with no plan to pay for it, or go along with those who do.

Seems fitting. The social liberal democrats/RINOs are due a millstone ride to the ocean floor, and the fiscal liberals and their RINO enablers can enjoy it when the wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round.
Your acrimony is not going to prevent governance. The country got along fine before the MAGA, the TEA party, the Freedom Caucus, the Squad, Neo Cons, etc... It will get along fine too after them.

The smaller the circle you draw around "us", the larger the area for "them". You do nothing to expand your numbers outside of telling them how terrible "them" is; usually the horrible stories are straight out of fiction. Not sustainable. And I'm loving it.

So they lost? Really. I thought you guys had won the house?
So your point is that Republicans get elected and then kowtow to Democrats? Gee, I wish I had thought of saying that!
Your acrimony is not going to prevent governance. The country got along fine before the MAGA, the TEA party, the Freedom Caucus, the Squad, Neo Cons, etc... It will get along fine too after them.
No, sir! Building up an unsustainable debt while squandering the money borrowed on endless wars, welfare (corporate and social), and unlimited criminal immigration is NOT getting along fine.

But, you're right. The RINOs don't need McCarthy as Speaker to knuckle under to Dems. They've been doing for decades. No matter who is speaker, some coalition of borrow-and-spend Republicans will cut a deal with them to get the spending cranked up again. It's their lifeblood and their addiction.
The smaller the circle you draw around "us", the larger the area for "them". You do nothing to expand your numbers outside of telling them how terrible "them" is; usually the horrible stories are straight out of fiction. Not sustainable. And I'm loving it.
Really? Our deficits, debts, and non-budgets are fictitious? Please explain. Democrats and RINOs believing that would explain a lot, actually. But why do you believe it?

Last edited:
So your point is that Republicans get elected and then kowtow to Democrats? Gee, I wish I had thought of saying that!
That wasn't my point. But I'll take it.

My point was that you guys won the House but don't know what to do with it.
No, sir! Building up an unsustainable debt while squandering the money borrowed on endless wars, welfare (corporate and social), and unlimited criminal immigration is NOT getting along fine.
Yet when your blob added $8T to the debt...you didn't say shit about it.

This is the part where you blame the Congress for the spending even though Mara-Lard-Ass signed off on every penny.
But, you're right. The RINOs don't need McCarthy as Speaker to knuckle under to Dems. They've been doing for decades. No matter who is speaker, some coalition of borrow-and-spend Republicans will cut a deal with them to get the spending cranked up again. It's their lifeblood and their addiction.
Whomever takes the gavel will have to cave into the centerists/democrats in about 40 days on the next CR...

So are you going to kick Jim Jordan to the curb just as fast and let him join the ranks of the "RINOs" if he is the one who becomes Speaker?
Really? Our deficits, debts, and non-budgets are fictitious? Please explain. Democrats and RINOs believing that would explain a lot, actually. But why do you believe it?
No stupid. Debts and deficits are not fictitious.

Every time someone "turns" on your blob, they become a "RINO". So the ranks of the RINOs in this melodrama you guys are enacting keep growing as the circle of "actual" republicans (in your eyes) becomes fewer and fewer. Lifelong republicans are routinely branded as RINOs because they work with Democrats.

That wasn't my point. But I'll take it.

My point was that you guys won the House but don't know what to do with it.
My guys know what to do with it. It's the RINO's who do not.
Yet when your blob added $8T to the debt...you didn't say shit about it.
What? Trump was in the White House originating spending bills? And somehow forcing congress to pass them? Holy Shi-ite, he must be a wizard of some sort.
This is the part where you blame the Congress for the spending even though Mara-Lard-Ass signed off on every penny.
Except when he didn't and you girls screamed like you were bleeding from . . . somewhere.
Whomever takes the gavel will have to cave into the centerists/democrats in about 40 days on the next CR...

So are you going to kick Jim Jordan to the curb just as fast and let him join the ranks of the "RINOs" if he is the one who becomes Speaker?
It's up to him, if he wants to join the ranks of the RINO's. If he does, he takes the consequences. Or maybe he takes enough with him that there are none.
No stupid. Debts and deficits are not fictitious.
Then what did you mean by this:

You do nothing to expand your numbers outside of telling them how terrible "them" is; usually the horrible stories are straight out of fiction.

Every time someone "turns" on your blob, they become a "RINO". So the ranks of the RINOs in this melodrama you guys are enacting keep growing as the circle of "actual" republicans (in your eyes) becomes fewer and fewer. Lifelong republicans are routinely branded as RINOs because they work with Democrats.
The blob had exactly zero to do with this budget fight. I guess you can't tell when he lives in your head and dances around so much that you cannot see out of your own eyeballs.

My guys know what to do with it. It's the RINO's who do not.
Sure. So when a “true republican” is installed as speaker; they’re not going to cave in, right?
What? Trump was in the White House originating spending bills? And somehow forcing congress to pass them? Holy Shi-ite, he must be a wizard of some sort.
Nope; he’ just signed off on every penny that was spent--thereby endorsing the spending.
It's up to him, if he wants to join the ranks of the RINO's. If he does, he takes the consequences. Or maybe he takes enough with him that there are none.
LOL... Anytime someone acts responsibly as a Republican, they are committing career suicide. Cool.
Then what did you mean by this:

You do nothing to expand your numbers outside of telling them how terrible "them" is; usually the horrible stories are straight out of fiction.
You really have to ask? Do you think MAGA is growing? Hell look at this board. Seldom is anything from the speeches your blob makes quoted here any longer. How many have said, “I support _______ but I’ll vote for Trump if he’s the nominee"
The blob had exactly zero to do with this budget fight. I guess you can't tell when he lives in your head and dances around so much that you cannot see out of your own eyeballs.
Sure...the head of the GOP had nothing to do with the GOP posture. Right.

Not all Democrat Reps are pure evil, bro. They're fed up with the porkulous bullshit and jive dancing too.

They're onboard with single item voting and streamlining the system to actually work like a batting cage.

Set it up, knock it down, next!

Sure. So when a “true republican” is installed as speaker; they’re not going to cave in, right?

Nope; he’ just signed off on every penny that was spent--thereby endorsing the spending.

LOL... Anytime someone acts responsibly as a Republican, they are committing career suicide. Cool.

You really have to ask? Do you think MAGA is growing? Hell look at this board. Seldom is anything from the speeches your blob makes quoted here any longer. How many have said, “I support _______ but I’ll vote for Trump if he’s the nominee"

Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! Twump! :cuckoo:

Trump's not in The House, moron. At least today he's not. :iyfyus.jpg:

Ya never know what tomorrow may bring, though! :banana:

It's getting the equal of what a Prog speaker is. They don't do the bipartisan agenda unless they exact their blood from a stone. The two congresswomen in the Republican Party who will get loud, take a thousand times more grief than AOC and others like her. AOC even craps on her voters. She knows she will most likely be reelected forever.

The tax reduction that Trump is so proud of is also a factor for the current deficit.

The national debt has risen by almost $7.8 trillion during Trump’s time in office.

Then there was the Dodd-Frank reforms bill passed under Obama and when the Don came along he placed his man to be in charge of the watch dog agency that was created by the bill.

Trump not to be outdone by (DF) passes the economic growth regulatory relief and consumer protection act. which eased financial regulation that the previous reform bill tried to tighten up.

Then the banking crisis hit. Did gutting Dodd Frank which was more restrictive with Trumps new agency which was less restrictive contributed to the bank crisis a few years ago?

Last edited:
I can't support either party. Republicans give in to Democrats on most budget issues and the Democrat party is bat-shit crazy.

the deficit rose under Trump which was about 7 trillion in 4 years.
How much did his tax cuts which favored his family and a small percentage of the population contribute to the deficit. He also cut government spending.

All this did was increase the national debt and left it to the next president. The pandemic also affected the deficit buildup.

If only it was true when Trump said "“We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”

The federal debt held by the public went up, from $14.4 trillion to $21.6 trillion under Trump. The only two presidents that beat him in these numbers are two term presidents. Yes one was a republican and one was a democrat.

the deficit rose under Trump which was about 7 trillion in 4 years.
How much did his tax cuts which favored his family and a small percentage of the population contribute to the deficit. He also cut government spending.

All this did was increase the national debt and left it to the next president. The pandemic also affected the deficit buildup.

If only it was true when Trump said "“We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”

The federal debt held by the public went up, from $14.4 trillion to $21.6 trillion under Trump. The only two presidents that beat him in these numbers are two term presidents. Yes one was a republican and one was a democrat.

PANDEMIC.......was a major part of it. But, it seems to be inherent that nearly all politicians have a spending problem.
Biden, Trump, Obama, Bush, Clinton, Etc. And the Oversight Committee should be taken out and shot.

:auiqs.jpg: This shit never gets old...

Non existent suffering. I love that. The millions of employees for the Feds who would suddenly stop getting paid is non existent suffering. I guess they should know better than work for the Deep State or some such theory.

Of course many would be required to continue working without pay for public safety. Like the ICE agents. Air Traffic Controllers. You know. All those folks. Fuck them. Should have gotten a real job.

Hospitals and Doctors who stopped getting Medicare payments. Ah they’re rich and it serves them right to treat the poor and elderly. So what if a hospital shuts down. It isn’t you who is affected right?

Idiot.

Non existent suffering. I love that. The millions of employees for the Feds who would suddenly stop getting paid is non existent suffering. I guess they should know better than work for the Deep State or some such theory.

Of course many would be required to continue working without pay for public safety. Like the ICE agents. Air Traffic Controllers. You know. All those folks. Fuck them. Should have gotten a real job.

Hospitals and Doctors who stopped getting Medicare payments. Ah they’re rich and it serves them right to treat the poor and elderly. So what if a hospital shuts down. It isn’t you who is affected right?

Idiot.
It's ovah now!

PANDEMIC.......was a major part of it. But, it seems to be inherent that nearly all politicians have a spending problem.
Biden, Trump, Obama, Bush, Clinton, Etc. And the Oversight Committee should be taken out and shot.
I think it is an issue of they want to show people that they can do something or make a difference.

instead it just adds to the deficit creating a long term problem long after they leave office.

Yes as you allude to things do happen in the world that requires some type of action by the government.

They use to talk about a constitution balanced budget amendment. It has its pros and cons.

Forum List

Back