• no

Votes: 21 87.5%

• Total voters

Rocko

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 30, 2011
NY
Do you think people who are on welfare should get cash along with food stamps or not?

In another thread I saw that a few conservatives were vehemently opposed to giving these people any cash. I was a bit surprised. Personally, I consider myself a compassionate conservative and believe giving people on welfare a modest cash stipend is appropriate. Keep in mind food stamps don't cover some of the basic needs a person may have, such as clothing, laundry money, transportation, haircut, etc..

Last edited:
Yeah, food stamps are weird. In some states, you can't buy things like baby formula or diapers with them. But you can buy six metric tons of peanut butter a month with them.

How stupid is that?

The libertarian psoition is that there are no welfare recipients. All such programs are provided by charity and only voluntary donations would be appropriate. Otherwise, it's wealth redistribution and therefore, not compatible with the libertarian view.

Well I don't think there should be welfare recipients, so...

What are we supposed to do with the people who can't fend for themselves? Let them starve in the street?
What did we do with them before the federal government started its "benevolence" programs?

We made those lazy bastards go to work!

dwtl40.jpg

Yes, yes! Before the government started wealth redistribution schemes, seeing dead people, starved out and bloated was as common as seeing trade wagons!

:rolleyes:

The libertarian psoition is that there are no welfare recipients. All such programs are provided by charity and only voluntary donations would be appropriate. Otherwise, it's wealth redistribution and therefore, not compatible with the libertarian view.

:eek:

Absolutely. If you walked down any street in the late 19th and 20th centuries before government run welfare, you'd see hundreds, if not thousands of dead people in the streets. The problem was so bad, that the federal government decided it was time to run welfare schemes! Totally a fact there! No appeal to emotion nonfact nonsense at all!

Charity once flourished in America more than it does now. forced redistribution changes the charitable psyche of a nation.

Also, when government felt responsible in the past for the misplaced, it was the local governments that did so.

Nobody in America ever fell over in the streets dead or wandered them naked.

How easily people forget history when government "resets" their minds.

Well I don't think there should be welfare recipients, so...

What are we supposed to do with the people who can't fend for themselves? Let them starve in the street?
What did we do with them before the federal government started its "benevolence" programs?

Different time and irrelevant. The question is what should we do today. If you're a proponent of cutting off all recipients then you're in the extreme minority. I'm an advocate of individualism and personal responsibility, but society does have a responsibility to provide some safety nets for the unfortunate. After all this is a civilized society. As a country do you think we'd be better off with people starving in the street?

Last edited:
Do you think people who are on welfare should get cash along with food stamps or not?

In another thread I saw that a few conservatives were vehemently giving these people any cash. I was a bit surprised. Personally, I consider myself a compassionate conservative and believe giving people on welfare a modest cash stipend is appropriate. Keep in mind food stamps don't cover some of the basic needs a person may have, such as clothing, laundry money, transportation, haircut, etc..

No.

The fraud that goes hand in hand with welfare would skyrocket with cash.

Forum List

Back