Welfare equivalent to $50,000 a year job in many states

So why aren't you taking those jobs? lol we know why. If you really card you work 22 hours a day to help the economy n stuff.
Because I worked for 40 years. Why do you think senior citizens should take jobs standing in their feet after working their whole lives, and defend lazy 30-year-olds who prefer to take OPM and hang out in front of the TV instead of taking a job?

Doubling down on rubbish and strawmen, as usual. In 6 months those same companies will be tossing employees out the door and doing their best to trash their employment history hoping to deny them unemployment insurance and chances at getting another job.

It's you nutjobs who have destroyed the country; you make the Betos and Ilhmars and Pelosis possible.
You have destroyed this country. And what’s with this word “rubbish”? Don’t tell me you‘re some liberal Brit who comes onto an American website and castigates responsible Americans who were raised with good values.

Who says it’s nothing? People avoid working for $40,000 a year when they get $50,000 in welfare.

And you think those are SMART people? You are praising people who are happy to take other people’s money so they don’t have to work?

And who says they’ll earn $40,000 a year? That’s the STARTING wage. If they’re hard workers, they can move up and easily be at $60,000 or $70,000 in a few years. But no….you think they’re being so smart staying on charity their whole lives.

lol and all you got is some stupid anecdotal story and nothing to back up the '$50K' claim. lol 'at 'hard workers' getting ahead; most low level 'managers' get rid of those threats in the first month of hiring them at the vast majority of companies. They like 'competitive workplaces'.

Of course there is. There are signs in every business advertising help wanted at $20 an hour, and they can’t get anyone. Why? Because they get to “hang out” and get the equivalent of $50,000 a year in welfare (or other charity type payments).
Damn but you are either stupid as hell or a complete liar. That only applies to single women with two dependent children. Read the damn study from the right wing Cato Institute. But where the hell do you think the biggest decrease in labor participation rate is? Single mothers? Hell no, it is single males between the ages of 25 and 34.

I am willing to bet you have a 20 something year old son that lives in your basement and plays video games all day. You are absolutely that stupid. He is the problem, not single women that chose to stay home and raise their children. In fact, I admire and respect those single women, and I don't care if they have some guy on the side.

Because I worked for 40 years. Why do you think senior citizens should take jobs standing in their feet after working their whole lives, and defend lazy 30-year-olds who prefer to take OPM instead of taking a job?

You got strawmen and nothing else, as usual. I bet you're pissed because your FTX stock crashed. lol

lol and all you got is some stupid anecdotal story and nothing t back up the '$50K' claim. lol 'at 'hard workers' getting ahead; most low level 'managers' get rid of those threats in the first month of hiring them at the vast majority of companies. They like 'competitive workplaces'.
So too bad. Then they get a job somewhere else.

All these excuses for entitled, lazy young adults who won’t get jobs. And people like you are presenting that as a fine choice.

This country is sunk. All the responsible people are tightening their belts as Biden continues his inflation, and the people on charity programs on enjoying life without a care.

Damn but you are either stupid as hell or a complete liar. That only applies to single women with two dependent children. Read the damn study from the right wing Cato Institute. But where the hell do you think the biggest decrease in labor participation rate is? Single mothers? Hell no, it is single males between the ages of 25 and 34.

I am willing to bet you have a 20 something year old son that lives in your basement and plays video games all day. You are absolutely that stupid. He is the problem, not single women that chose to stay home and raise their children. In fact, I admire and respect those single women, and I don't care if they have some guy on the side.

It's okay to trash and discriminate against white males; the 'shortage' is in enough black and brown employees to fill the racial quotas. They're all screwing off in college now and don't have to work until they're around 26 or so.

So too bad. Then they get a job somewhere else.

All these excuses for entitled, lazy young adults who won’t get jobs. And people like you are presenting that as a fine choice.

This country is sunk. All the responsible people are tightening their belts as Biden continues his inflation, and the people on charity programs on enjoying life without a care.

Biden isn't 'inflating' anything, it's corporations doing the 'inflating', most of it baseless and just gouging.

I didn’t own FTX stock. As I said, I was a responsible adult my entire life, supported myself, never took a penny of OPM, and didn’t invest in the speculatIve stuff.

More rubbish. The middle class is the largest recipient of govt. bennies and tax breaks. Like I said, you don't know squat, you're just parroting crap you found at Town Hall or some other right wing shill site, is all.

So, a single mother with two young children is making the "wrong" decision by choosing to stay home with her kids and earn the equivalent of fifty grand? The wrong decision for who, you? It certainly isn't them. From the study itself,

In 11 states, welfare pays more than the average pre-tax first year wage for a teacher. In 39 states it pays more than the starting wage for a secretary. And, in the 3 most generous states a person on welfare can take home more money than an entry-level computer programmer.

A large proportion of these people are single mothers, which showcases the total hypocrisy the Republican “family friendly” claims.

Highschool girl gets pregnant, wants an abortion.
Republican: sorry kid, no can do, you must have the baby.

Single mother applies for welfare.
Republican: you are able bodied, work!

Single mother can’t find affordable daycare on a minimum wage job, asks if she can get help covering daycare.

Republican: it isn’t our problem if you can’t find affordable day care.

Single mother finds slightly better paying job, but it is in a city with a high cost of living and no affordable housing.
Republican: you people bring down housing values, we don’t want affordable housing near our homes. You’ll have look outside the city.

Single mother finds a low rent option an hour from her job, but she can’t afford a car and there are no public transportation options, so she moves back home with her mother and decides to try and finish her education. She lives in a small town that has been steadily losing population, lost it’s major industry, has no jobs and no longer even has a grocery store nearby. She applies for welfare.

Republican: lazy welfare queen, you are able bodied, you need to be working!

Doesn’t matter what word you use. Let’s just put it all under the umbrella of “public assistance” - meaning freebies provided by other people.

And I’m not sure what the lie is. I posted the link in the OP showing that about 15 states (mine was one of them) hand out so much of other people’s money to adults who refuse to work that it amounts to a $50,000 a year job. The Democrats’ insistence on giving so much of middle-class workers’ money away to people who just won’t get a job BECAUSE they are getting so much keeps them dependent.

All by design. A dependent adult who lives off of OPM is the Democrats’ best voter!
Most people getting welfare assistance who are not children or disabled, work.

The majority of families that received benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) in 2018 included at least one employed individual, according to the American Community Survey (ACS).

In 2018, 12% of the 79 million families in the United States received SNAP benefits at some point in the previous 12 months.

More than three-quarters of those families had at least one person working and about one-third included two or more workers, a clear indication that many families that rely on nutritional assistance worked.

Why would anyone work?

A young woman on welfare with two children is the equivalent of a $50,000 a year job - and that’s before you consider commuting costs. If she has three children, her TANF and food stamps and “earned” (cough-cough) income credit reach $60,000.

Now consider that many welfare types live with extended families, so that the young woman with two children is living with her own mother, who still has a teenager at home, and they get the equivalent of another $40,000 a year. So a family with two adults, a teen, and two kids gets nearly $100,000 a year.

Now consider the typical family, headed by two high school graduates. Mom works In a support role in an accounting firm for $20 an hour, and Dad works the deli counter at Harris Teeter for $22 an hour. Together, they bring in $80,000 - BEFORE taxes.

No wonder we have a labor shortage.
May I make a modest proposal?

The majority of families that received benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) in 2018 included at least one employed individual, according to the American Community Survey (ACS).

In 2018, 12% of the 79 million families in the United States received SNAP benefits at some point in the previous 12 months.

More than three-quarters of those families had at least one person working and about one-third included two or more workers, a clear indication that many families that rely on nutritional assistance worked.
Spot on, the vast majority of individuals receiving EBT work. So EBT is not a welfare program, it is a program that subsidizes low wages. The solution is really simple. If you are an employer, and your employees receive government benefits, rather it is EBT or rental assistance, you are taxed the cost of those benefits.

Doesn’t say if they’re working full-time jobs. Working three afternoons a week doesn’t cut it.

in fact, many of the people on the charity programs intentionally hold their hours to a minimum in order to get all the freebies possible. When NYC raised its minimum wage, people who HAD been working 40 hours an hour found that the new wage was so high that they no longer got the freebies. They purposely went to part-time in order to keep qualifying for other people’s money.

Doesn’t say if they’re working full-time jobs. Working three afternoons a week doesn’t cut it.

in fact, many of the people on the charity programs intentionally hold their hours to a minimum in order to get all the freebies possible. When NYC raised its minimum wage, people who HAD been working 40 hours an hour found that the new wage was so high that they no longer got the freebies. They purposely went to part-time in order to keep qualifying for other people’s money.
STFU you stupid bitch. People will make their decisions based on what is best for them, not what is best for you. Pull you head out of your ass and handle your own problems and quit bitching about everyone else.

Yup. That’s what they do - it’s all about labels. For example, since white supremacist didn’t work, they moved on to election denied.

Same thing here. Consider the so-called “earned childcare tax credit” which was supposed to go against earned income. Now they made it ”fully refundable” - which is a nice way of saying welfare.

People now refer to the $12,000 or $15,000 they get for their kids as their “tax refund” - even though they don’t work, don’t have earned income, and pay no income tax.
And you get comments like women who have multiple children all with no fathers should Never have to work because they need to stay home with the children.

Forum List

Back