Weekend warriors report for duty

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
20201016_144317.jpg

Got my lumber delivered yesterday so we can rebuild our deck. Told them to unload it by the back fence since I was at work but they unloaded it in the front yard!
Anyhow, mid to upper 60s for demo tomorrow

View attachment 402526

Got my lumber delivered yesterday so we can rebuild our deck. Told them to unload it by the back fence since I was at work but they unloaded it in the front yard!
Anyhow, mid to upper 60s for demo tomorrow
Do what I did and replace it with steel and concrete. It won't burn, it won't rot and the bugs can't eat it. I also live in a high fire danger area so that was very high on my list.

Decks take a beating. Mine lasted about 20 years with treated stuff. When I decided to rebuild it my contractor ordered a delivery from Lowes and when it arrived it didn't look right. They only delivered half the load. A trip to the Lowes store verified the fact that a new guy was in charge of arranging deliveries and he apologized for the problem and Lowes quickly returned with the rest of the load. I have a long driveway and apparently the first driver who drove all the way up on the property and had had room to unload and turn around didn't communicate with the second driver who parked on the road and had to deliver the lumber with these peculiar little battery operated things they carry on the truck. The point is that you can't assume anything when it comes to a couple of thousand dollars in building supplies. You have to communicate every detail with the store and make sure it's right. A $10 tip to the driver is also a good idea.

I'd like to also mention that deck lumber is RETARDED EXPENSIVE.

Gonna need some Obama money, a cell phone ain't gonna cut it
It isn't just deck lumber. I priced lumber for my shed in April...

2x4x8 construction grade average $3.30

Last month I went to Menards...$6.75.

This month down to $5.32.

Covered up the floor with plastic and tarp. Going to wait until March to finish up...but buying building supplies in January.

Stripped down and new support posts added. Tomorrow Jack it up to level and start decking
Jesus. Is that built to code?
Dunno. The deck was 30 years old. I've only been here 12 of them. My guess would be yes, for its time.
It now had tripple lag bolted headers every 6 feet that are more than enough support.

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm

Forum List

Back