We have to put our cat down, but I just can't do it. :(

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
I just can't do it. I love her, she loves me and she really loves my hubby..

Her eyes and connection with me is lucid...clear, she is very aware of everything. I wouldn't put my mother or father down... I'd pray for a miracle day and night, on my knees begging God to please save them!

My little precious kitty girl has mouth cancer...discovered it three weeks ago when she saw the doc to pull a tooth and get her teeth cleaned because we noticed she was not eating well....and losing weight.

I just can't do it....it feels wrong...but it shouldn't feel wrong...I know, I know, I know.... sigh.

She's 13, young, compared to our last cat, who was 16....who died sitting next to me on the couch, purring before she went to Rainbow Bridge. She had terminal cancer....

My husband has never put down a cat before either, but he says we have to do it...and he adores her....she's his best friend, follows him around like a dog would... They even take walks together, where she stays right at his side.

I wish she would die in her sleep...oh Lord, do I wish she would die peacefully, in her sleep tonight, at home, with mommy and daddy kitty.

I'm really sorry to hear that but if she's really suffering the kindest thing you can do is end her suffering if you both do love her and I have absolutely no doubt that you do as difficult as it is. Believe me I know it's hard, but I believe in my heart that you'll see each other again. :smiliehug:

Her eyes and connection with me is lucid...clear, she is very aware of everything. I wouldn't put my mother or father down... I'd pray for a miracle day and night, on my knees begging God to please save them!

My little precious kitty girl has mouth cancer...discovered it three weeks ago when she saw the doc to pull a tooth and get her teeth cleaned because we noticed she was not eating well....and losing weight.

I just can't do it....it feels wrong...but it shouldn't feel wrong...I know, I know, I know.... sigh.

She's 13, young, compared to our last cat, who was 16....who died sitting next to me on the couch, purring before she went to Rainbow Bridge. She had terminal cancer....

My husband has never put down a cat before either, but he says we have to do it...and he adores her....she's his best friend, follows him around like a dog would... They even take walks together, where she stays right at his side.

I wish she would die in her sleep...oh Lord, do I wish she would die peacefully, in her sleep tonight, at home, with mommy and daddy kitty.
I feel you, losing pets during childhood was awful and I don't think it gets much easier as an adult.

It sucks. I know. On the other hand, of course, pets can’t let you know how bad they feel. We take them in and care for them and love them. But they need us to make that final tough call.

I had to euthanize my lil pintcher Pepita but it doesn't appear to be your case (yet).

She was in her last 2 or 3 days, yelping desperately because of her cancer.

In her case it was an act of mercy. If I regret anything was the fact that it took me too long to finally decide do it (10 or 12 hours).

She wants to eat so badly, goes to her food or treat receiving spots, looks up with yearning eyes for food, we put it there she tries to eat it but the cancer in her mouth stops her. So we've been feeding her with a syringe but now is having a hard time with that....

Oh God, this is just awful...what a horrible decision to have to make.... why is it so hard? I know she's going to die, I hate seeing her dwindle to nothing....

You are her best friend, are you not? Do as a friend would do and send her over before she really feels the pain. Send her now...and be with her when you do it. Keep calm. Hold her. Pet her. Tell her you love her. Do not break down. Once she is gone..THEN you can fall apart.

She trusts you to do what she cannot do herself. Be what she believes you are.

She will be given a sedative. Talk to her like you usually do when at the vet. Once the sedative takes hold, she will fall gently to sleep. Not dead, asleep. She can still hear you though, I believe. Tell her you will see her soon...you love her...thank her for being in your life. Then they will inject the stuff in her arm that they shaved lightly to find the vein. Once injected...she will be gone in 5 seconds or less. THEN they leave the room and let you grieve.

I had to do it with my beloved furbabies...cats included...AND my husband. The pain for you will be as bad. But it will be a cold day in hell before I let any of them suffer. I am the last one. It was my job to send them ALL off. this is your job. She trusts you to do it. So....do it. ASAP.

It isn't a hard decision to make. In fact, you have already made it. You don't want to watch her starve to death. You won't. You won't sit there and watch her suffer. You love her too much.

For me both are terrible situations....

I'm just wired a bit different when it comes to cats I guess.....Likely from my fox trapping days.

I like them well enough I even have one sitting next to me now.....I just know the little bastard is waiting to trip me when I get up. ;)

c 001 (2).JPG

When we had to put down Ginger, our 17 year old Shepard/Dane mix, it was clear to us that the single most selfish thing we could do would be to not put her down.

If she can't be saved, prolonging her life because you love her is, in my humble opinion, not the way to go...

Tenant of mine had a dog that was in so much pain (cancer), I finally told her that if she did not take her to the vet and put her down, I WOULD. And she knew I meant it. She said she couldn't...she loved her too much. I said that isn't love. Its selfishness. She took her the next day.

When MrGracie died.....he came back 2 weeks later and took the cat. Double whammy. But I stayed dry eyed but supportive with both. I'm a wreck now and probably will be for the rest of my life. But THEY will not suffer any more and are together.

Forum List

Back