We have to put our cat down, but I just can't do it. :(

FIP?? HOLY MOLEY!

I will pray for that handsome boy!
Thank you.

2 days before I saw a problem and took him to the animal hospital, he was sleeping on the couch. He got up, went to the middle of the living room and let out a loud cry. You could tell something was wrong. The other cat ran to his side and rubbed against him. I got up and talked to him and petted him. He just laid down on the floor and went to sleep.

I didn't think a lot about it until 2 days later when I saw his head leaned to the left and he could barely walk. I thought he had a stroke. Still not 100% sure he didn't.

I took him to the hospital afraid they'd try to talk me into euthanizing him. They didn't. They gave me hope he can recover.

Thank you.

2 days before I saw a problem and took him to the animal hospital, he was sleeping on the couch. He got up, went to the middle of the living room and let out a loud cry. You could tell something was wrong. The other cat ran to his side and rubbed against him. I got up and talked to him and petted him. He just laid down on the floor and went to sleep.

I didn't think a lot about it until 2 days later when I saw his head leaned to the left and he could barely walk. I thought he had a stroke. Still not 100% sure he didn't.

I took him to the hospital afraid they'd try to talk me into euthanizing him. They didn't. They gave me hope he can recover.
How is he doing? Better?

It snowed last night, Matthew went out to shovel the deck....I've been watching him through the glass storm door....

Without realizing it, he did his usual routine shoveling...a pathway straight out the door, veer left at the end, to the end of the side deck, lift up the chair on that corner and clean under it, Making a clear pathway for our kitty girl, so she could sit under that chair and watch all the bird and chip monk and squirrel activities....

then he came back around to do the steps for us, near the back door....

She came first, always! And she used to be one step behind him, waiting for the pathway to her spot, to be cleared....

Matt just came inside, and said, with tears in his eyes, "I really miss that kitty girl"....

So, I guess he intentionally cleared her path.

I really miss her too....I'm still mourning that precious kitty girl.... sigh....

Is it a trait that all leftists are so cruel? Don't you know the cat is suffering?

How is he doing? Better?
Thanks for asking.
It's been a roller coaster "recovery."

3 days ago he stopped eating and drinking. I tried getting him to drink at least but he always refused.

Yesterday I was mentally preparing myself

This morning I woke up at 4 am with him standing over me tapping my face.

I said, "are you thirsty?" And immediately got up and held a bowl of water as he drank. He drank a little and went back to bed.

This morning he got up at 7:30 and went to eat and drink on his own. Then he used his litter box and now he's sleeping.

He's gone through this cycle a couple times. I don't know what's going to happen. I hope he still has a few good years

When we had to put down Ginger, our 17 year old Shepard/Dane mix, it was clear to us that the single most selfish thing we could do would be to not put her down.

If she can't be saved, prolonging her life because you love her is, in my humble opinion, not the way to go...
When they can't eat it's time to let them cross the rainbow bridge. Don't make them suffer.

If it's Tommy's time, his death will be at home, safe, warm and knowing he is loved -- unless he's in some obvious serious pain. I've only had to euthanize one animal. I don't regret it, but each case is different.

i never feel like i am doing the right thing...either too late or too early....but its the choice we make when we adopt ...i hate seeing them start going down hill..i got all three of my dobies to 12....but once they were done they were done

What irks me, is that there should be some kind of affordable, veterinary medical inbetween.... Like with humans, you can send them home to die with their family with medications given to them to ease their pain, or hospice care....

instead our choices seem to be watching her die in perceived pain, or have the Vet kill them.
Precisely.

I just can't do it. I love her, she loves me and she really loves my hubby..

Her eyes and connection with me is lucid...clear, she is very aware of everything. I wouldn't put my mother or father down... I'd pray for a miracle day and night, on my knees begging God to please save them!

My little precious kitty girl has mouth cancer...discovered it three weeks ago when she saw the doc to pull a tooth and get her teeth cleaned because we noticed she was not eating well....and losing weight.

I just can't do it....it feels wrong...but it shouldn't feel wrong...I know, I know, I know.... sigh.

She's 13, young, compared to our last cat, who was 16....who died sitting next to me on the couch, purring before she went to Rainbow Bridge. She had terminal cancer....

My husband has never put down a cat before either, but he says we have to do it...and he adores her....she's his best friend, follows him around like a dog would... They even take walks together, where she stays right at his side.

I wish she would die in her sleep...oh Lord, do I wish she would die peacefully, in her sleep tonight, at home, with mommy and daddy kitty.
I totally understand you!

Our sweetheart 14 year old Wheaton was suffering badly, not eating, etc.

My niece is a Veterinarian and her creed is “better a day early than a day late”

Do what your heart tells you.

I’m still heartbroken that we had a different, uncaring vet assist her on Christmas Day 7 years ago so all the family could be with her

Our pain is the same no matter what we decide

Her eyes and connection with me is lucid...clear, she is very aware of everything. I wouldn't put my mother or father down... I'd pray for a miracle day and night, on my knees begging God to please save them!

My little precious kitty girl has mouth cancer...discovered it three weeks ago when she saw the doc to pull a tooth and get her teeth cleaned because we noticed she was not eating well....and losing weight.

I just can't do it....it feels wrong...but it shouldn't feel wrong...I know, I know, I know.... sigh.

She's 13, young, compared to our last cat, who was 16....who died sitting next to me on the couch, purring before she went to Rainbow Bridge. She had terminal cancer....

My husband has never put down a cat before either, but he says we have to do it...and he adores her....she's his best friend, follows him around like a dog would... They even take walks together, where she stays right at his side.

I wish she would die in her sleep...oh Lord, do I wish she would die peacefully, in her sleep tonight, at home, with mommy and daddy kitty.
Letting her suffer to spare your own pain isn't the answer.

When you take a pet you have to put their quality of life above your pain and fear of loss.

Letting her suffer to spare your own pain isn't the answer.

When you take a pet you have to put their quality of life above your pain and fear of loss.
Would you put your child down in your care and custody, or let them die when God decided to take them? Or since you don't believe in God, ....when nature decided to take them? I just am not a believer of assisted suicide.... Give them meds to ease the pain, and let them die on their own.... Is my belief....and pray like heck, for a miracle!

We should have the same hospice ability and option, with our beloved pets.... :(

Last edited:

So sorry. May strength and comfort find you in your time of need.

I feel bad for you. Glad I have not had to deal with that. Most of my cats were basically wild cats that got caught by coyotes or something once they got old.

Would you put your child down in your care and custody, or let them die when God decided to take them? Or since you don't believe in God, ....when nature decided to take them? I just am not a believer of assisted suicide.... Give them meds to ease the pain, and let them die on their own.... Is my belief....and pray like heck, for a miracle!

We should have the same hospice ability and option, with our beloved pets.... :(
I have had to make the hard call to euthanize more than a few beloved pets.

It is your responsibility to spare them pain and suffering. it's a terrible act of compassion but it must be done.

And to answer your question yes I would choose to peacefully and painlessly end the suffering of anyone I loved who was dying of a terminal illness.

Have never actually understood why you fill a relative full of morphine to prolong life but with animals you are

apparently obliged to kill them but for the animal's best welfare . Sounds completely contradictory .

Clearly I am wrong .

So please gently explain to me, why.

Have never actually understood why you fill a relative full of morphine to prolong life but with animals you are

apparently obliged to kill them but for the animal's best welfare . Sounds completely contradictory .

Clearly I am wrong .

Because our laws on euthanasia for people are made to favor outdated religious superstitions.

Clearly I am wrong .

You are wrong, but understandably so. Morphine relieves pain. It does not prolong life and does kill those ready and willing to die given enough is provided.

No doctor, nursing home, or hospice care nurse can tell you that legally, but that's how most people die in this country. "Put to sleep" with drugs rather than a bullet.

Last edited:
i never feel like i am doing the right thing...either too late or too early....but its the choice we make when we adopt ...i hate seeing them start going down hill..i got all three of my dobies to 12....but once they were done they were done
Too many go that route out of convenience to themselves and not love for the animal. I know this for a fact. Many of these same people will just abandon their pet to fend for itself when they move.

A pet is FAMILY and you inherit a lifetime responsibility to that animal.

Forum List

Back