We have to put our cat down, but I just can't do it. :(

She will be given a sedative. Talk to her like you usually do when at the vet. Once the sedative takes hold, she will fall gently to sleep. Not dead, asleep. She can still hear you though, I believe. Tell her you will see her soon...you love her...thank her for being in your life. Then they will inject the stuff in her arm that they shaved lightly to find the vein. Once injected...she will be gone in 5 seconds or less. THEN they leave the room and let you grieve.

I had to do it with my beloved furbabies...cats included...AND my husband. The pain for you will be as bad. But it will be a cold day in hell before I let any of them suffer. I am the last one. It was my job to send them ALL off. this is your job. She trusts you to do it. So....do it. ASAP.
I don't think I can do it. My husband said he would do it alone, if I couldnt. he knows I am a wimp, on things like this and can't stop crying....

He has loved her since she showed up, looking through our glass storm door in the kitchen...with her big ears and big feet with her tiny body, that finally grew to match her ears and feet.

She's been such a good kitty. It's really heartbreaking to see her go.

I just can't do it. I love her, she loves me and she really loves my hubby..

Her eyes and connection with me is lucid...clear, she is very aware of everything. I wouldn't put my mother or father down... I'd pray for a miracle day and night, on my knees begging God to please save them!

My little precious kitty girl has mouth cancer...discovered it three weeks ago when she saw the doc to pull a tooth and get her teeth cleaned because we noticed she was not eating well....and losing weight.

I just can't do it....it feels wrong...but it shouldn't feel wrong...I know, I know, I know.... sigh.

She's 13, young, compared to our last cat, who was 16....who died sitting next to me on the couch, purring before she went to Rainbow Bridge. She had terminal cancer....

My husband has never put down a cat before either, but he says we have to do it...and he adores her....she's his best friend, follows him around like a dog would... They even take walks together, where she stays right at his side.

I wish she would die in her sleep...oh Lord, do I wish she would die peacefully, in her sleep tonight, at home, with mommy and daddy kitty.
My heart goes out to you. Our last cat Gizmo I had to put down, I decided to do it for him as he was suffering terribly. He couldn't eat, couldn't walk plus a multitude of other issues he was having. It was the last stages of feline leukemia and FIV (feline HIV), he was 9.
Sometimes ya just have to do it for them no matter how much it pains us of course it depends on how much your cat is suffering.

Here, maybe these will help you decide one way or another, at least you'll have more information.

Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma - Mar Vista Animal Medical Center

Cat Euthanasia: When Do You Say Goodbye? | Litter-Robot

You need to be there. If you aren't, the guilt will haunt you forever. Hold it together and go with him. Or wait out in the hall until she is sedated, THEN go in so she can hear you.

Do you have other pets? If so, I highly recommend letting them smell her once she is gone. Otherwise they will continue to search for her.

When MrGracie died.....he came back 2 weeks later and took the cat. Double whammy. But I stayed dry eyed but supportive with both. I'm a wreck now and probably will be for the rest of my life. But THEY will not suffer any more and are together.
oh heavens! I'm so sorry Gracie...losing your husband and cat near the same time.

Her eyes and connection with me is lucid...clear, she is very aware of everything. I wouldn't put my mother or father down... I'd pray for a miracle day and night, on my knees begging God to please save them!

My little precious kitty girl has mouth cancer...discovered it three weeks ago when she saw the doc to pull a tooth and get her teeth cleaned because we noticed she was not eating well....and losing weight.

I just can't do it....it feels wrong...but it shouldn't feel wrong...I know, I know, I know.... sigh.

She's 13, young, compared to our last cat, who was 16....who died sitting next to me on the couch, purring before she went to Rainbow Bridge. She had terminal cancer....

My husband has never put down a cat before either, but he says we have to do it...and he adores her....she's his best friend, follows him around like a dog would... They even take walks together, where she stays right at his side.

I wish she would die in her sleep...oh Lord, do I wish she would die peacefully, in her sleep tonight, at home, with mommy and daddy kitty.
Spend a few bucks and go to the vet. A good vet will give it a shot, and let you hold the cat till it gently goes to sleep. No trauma, and a quiet loving goodby. Anything you might do would be stressfull to the pet and you.

I had one of my cats die when he was only 4 from a circulatory defect.
He died in my wife's arms while I was at work.
He hung on for about a year and kept losing the use of his legs.
One thing you can't do is let the vet take them from you.
If they give them the shot you have to be there with them.

All you can do is keep her alive as long as modern veterinarian science can keep her comfortable.
But all you can do is extend her life a bit. Eventually you'll have no choice.
My female Boxer Katy got brain cancer and she started to have seizures. We gave her medications that stopped them for a year or so.
I knew it was over when I came home from a weekend fishing trip and she didnt get excited when I walked in the door in fact it was like she didnt even recognize me.
A few days later she had a massive seizure and wouldnt come out of it.
My advice? There are vets that make house calls it's much better for your pet if they come to you.

My wife struggled watching our Yorkie of 16 years get old, he was laying on the heating pad, couldn’t see well, just doing what he could to survive. We debated for weeks. I couldn’t do it, she finally did and still regrets it to this day, I wanted to let him just quietly pass away, I could not do it, it’s a very difficult thing to do…
Just pray about it…

So long as she isn't in pain you don't need to. But, when she starts to suffer, you must. I know it hurts, but you owe it to her.

I remember my ex-wife was taking her cat to the vet to have it put down but the cat died on the way.

We do it as a final act of love, the last thing we can do for them, not allow them to needlessly suffer. It tears out our hearts in a way only those who have experienced it can understand. So hard. So painful. But for all that unconditional love they have given us, it is worth it.

(((Hugs)))) my friend. I wish there was more to do than just care.

Rather than take our wonderful dog to the vet to be put down which would have traumatized him, I was able to arrange for a vet to come to the house to do it. No trauma for our beloved fur friend, a quick shot, and he died immediately, happy in my arms. It's the best way. Perhaps that is an option for you?

damn care i am so sorry...billy had tongue cancer about the same.....i hated to do it but i did it immediately....he was healthy other than the cancer but could no longer eat...would just puke....i have gone the extra mile doing shit people would not believe for a cat....stop...you will regret it later on....it took me years to realize how much pain i put my beloved cat thru cause i was too involved to put him down....saddum who kitty desired so much better....a quick death ash opposed to suffering being bagged with fluids daily...this is something you must face and do it now...your heart will break but you will find another that fills that void...and that ladies and gentlemen is how one ends up with 3 cats and 3 dogs...currently my void yahoo is growling at my s 3 legged cat and hubby just called yahoo the devil..right now is the time to do what is best for your beloved cat...not for yourself...

again i am sorry but the truth is...she is suffering the feedings are stop gap putting off what is going to come....again do it now...and live with the regrets a pet owner always has...too soon too late...and they never die on their own...we keep nature from doing that...

All you can do is keep her alive as long as modern veterinarian science can keep her comfortable.
But all you can do is extend her life a bit. Eventually you'll have no choice.
My female Boxer Katy got brain cancer and she started to have seizures. We gave her medications that stopped them for a year or so.
I knew it was over when I came home from a weekend fishing trip and she didnt get excited when I walked in the door in fact it was like she didnt even recognize me.
A few days later she had a massive seizure and wouldnt come out of it.
My advice? There are vets that make house calls it's much better for your pet if they come to you.

WOW!!!
WTF Gracie?

So long as she isn't in pain you don't need to. But, when she starts to suffer, you must. I know it hurts, but you owe it to her.

I second that.

I remember my ex-wife was taking her cat to the vet to have it put down but the cat died on the way.

I'm really sorry to hear that, but why did I first read that as you remember putting your ex-wife down? WTF??? Time for an eye exam for sure.

I second that.

I'm really sorry to hear that, but why did I first read that as you remember putting your ex-wife down? WTF??? Time for an eye exam for sure.
My ex-wife’s cat was around 16 years old and was an outdoor/indoor cat. It had a good life.

She will fall asleep today at 3:30pm, and be waiting at Rainbow Bridge for us to meet her some day!

Don't make fun of me for such a dream!

I have to believe it! I have to, I have to, I have to believe it, to make it through this sadness! :(

My ex-wife’s cat was around 16 years old and was an outdoor/indoor cat. It had a good life.

That's good and I'm hoping that your ex-wife is alive and well,... and had her Rabies shot. XD
She will fall asleep today at 3:30pm, and be waiting at Rainbow Bridge for us to meet her some day!

Don't make fun of me for such a dream!

I have to believe it! I have to, I have to, I have to believe it, to make it through this sadness! :(

Of course you should believe it. Sending prayers and virtual hugs your way,... Incoming!! :smiliehug:

Forum List

Back