Was This Sherriff Wrongfully Charged??

I have a couple of issues with this:

From the link:

Minutes later, Rowland said he heard his front screen door open and a knock at his door. Fearing someone was trying to break into his house, Rowland had his wife bring him his gun. Dressed in his long johns, socks and a T-shirt, the sheriff went outside again.

Does the deputy pull a gun on the UPS guy or kids who are trick or treating?

A knock at the door is a weak reason to arm yourself. That said, it's not illegal, so let's continue...

In Ring doorbell footage, Rowland is shown looking at the turkey and can be heard saying, “Thank you,” and “That’s frickin bulls***.”

Okay, so he now has a pretty sound idea of what the knock was for...

Rowland said he saw a vehicle driving down the road, which he stopped. Rowland said the car did not look familiar and the driver of the car stopped and opened the driver’s side door.

He probably could've been fairly certain that the those who knocked on his door and ran away were riding in the car. After all, unfamiliar car? Unusual activity? The math's not difficult on that one. Instead, he goes up to the car and despite not allowing the driver to roll down her window so he could identify himself as a sheriff, he opens the door without identifying himself and grabs the driver. The driver of that car would've been justified in drawing a weapon and killing the deputy, because that's a lot more like a carjacking than leaving a paper turkey on someone's door is like a burglary...

“I reach in and pull the driver out by the hair,” Rowland told investigators, according to court documents. “I say, ‘Who the f*** are you?’ And I do have a gun in my hand, but I still have my finger on the slide.”

Having still not identified himself, he now assaults the driver of the car and puts what is most certainly a loaded gun to her head.

The deputy is most certainly in the wrong; he admits as much. He showed absolutely no restraint, and put a loaded gun to the head of an innocent woman, demanding answers to questions he had no right to expect answers to.

The deputy should be charged, tried and, if a jury deems it appropriate, convicted. Even if he's not convicted, he should lose his job, and should be classified as mentally deficient, thereby (hopefully) removing firearms from his possession. The man is unstable and has no business wielding a gun...

"A local sheriff faces serious felony charges for allegedly threatening a youth group with a gun in November. The Idaho Attorney General’s Office charged Bingham County Sheriff Craig Rowland on Tuesday with felony aggravated battery, felony aggravated assault and misdemeanor exhibition of a gun. On Nov. 9, a church youth group was placing “thankful turkeys” on the doors of members of their congregation. The activity involved several girls ages 12 to 16 writing notes of thanks shaped like turkeys, taping them on doors, ringing doorbells and running away before they could get caught by the occupants.

Around 8 p.m., Rowland said he heard his front screen door open and a knock at his door. Fearing someone was trying to break into his house, Rowland had his wife bring him his gun. Rowland said he saw a vehicle driving down the road, which he stopped. Rowland said the car did not look familiar and the driver of the car stopped and opened the driver’s side door. “I reach in and pull the driver out by the hair,” Rowland told investigators, according to court documents
. “I say, ‘Who the f*** are you?’ And I do have a gun in my hand, but I still have my finger on the slide.”

Rowland told investigators he pointed the gun at the woman’s head. The woman later identified herself as a neighbor and family friend for over three decades. Rowland said he did not recognize her. He continued yelling profanities at the woman and girls and pointed his weapon at the woman. Rowland said. “I have had drunk Indians drive down my cul-de-sac. I’ve had drunk Indians come to my door. I live just off the reservation, we have a lot of reservation people around us that are not good people.”

This seems like a text-book case of over charging a trusted member of law enforcement...the guy obviously made a mistake but not something he should be charged for....who should be charged are these idiotic Mormons who thought ringing doorbells and knocking on doors at night was a good idea...and what a shitty neighbor you gotta be to call the cops on a guy who obviously thought you were a bunch of drunk ass no-good Indians....You know as well as he does that there are reservations nearby; full of these drunks....why call the cops on someone for reacting in a way that any normal person would react?
Well, they are crazy in southern Idaho. In northern Idaho, they just take them for a 'one way' nature walk
Clean and efficient, no one is any wiser with the going ons. Never makes the papers or the news channel.

"A local sheriff faces serious felony charges for allegedly threatening a youth group with a gun in November. The Idaho Attorney General’s Office charged Bingham County Sheriff Craig Rowland on Tuesday with felony aggravated battery, felony aggravated assault and misdemeanor exhibition of a gun. On Nov. 9, a church youth group was placing “thankful turkeys” on the doors of members of their congregation. The activity involved several girls ages 12 to 16 writing notes of thanks shaped like turkeys, taping them on doors, ringing doorbells and running away before they could get caught by the occupants.

Around 8 p.m., Rowland said he heard his front screen door open and a knock at his door. Fearing someone was trying to break into his house, Rowland had his wife bring him his gun. Rowland said he saw a vehicle driving down the road, which he stopped. Rowland said the car did not look familiar and the driver of the car stopped and opened the driver’s side door. “I reach in and pull the driver out by the hair,” Rowland told investigators, according to court documents
. “I say, ‘Who the f*** are you?’ And I do have a gun in my hand, but I still have my finger on the slide.”

Rowland told investigators he pointed the gun at the woman’s head. The woman later identified herself as a neighbor and family friend for over three decades. Rowland said he did not recognize her. He continued yelling profanities at the woman and girls and pointed his weapon at the woman. Rowland said. “I have had drunk Indians drive down my cul-de-sac. I’ve had drunk Indians come to my door. I live just off the reservation, we have a lot of reservation people around us that are not good people.”

This seems like a text-book case of over charging a trusted member of law enforcement...the guy obviously made a mistake but not something he should be charged for....who should be charged are these idiotic Mormons who thought ringing doorbells and knocking on doors at night was a good idea...and what a shitty neighbor you gotta be to call the cops on a guy who obviously thought you were a bunch of drunk ass no-good Indians....You know as well as he does that there are reservations nearby; full of these drunks....why call the cops on someone for reacting in a way that any normal person would react?
Normal people do not drag women out of cars by their hair at gunpoint. I don't have this right. Do you?

Maybe. Maybe not. For example: is residential portion of his land “fenced in?” Has he posted a “no trespassers” sign of some kind?

If the door bell ringers were intoxicated at the time, do we know if they had done or said anything indicative of a mal-intent?

I suggest that we don’t know precisely what happened. And a good investigation really should precede an arrest (probable cause) and a charging determination.
We don't know if they had just shot up a bus load of preschoolers either, but there is no reason to believe they did that either.

I had to re-read the article. For purposes of the discussion, let’s say that the reporting is accurate. I will say this much in that case: the conduct of that off duty sheriff, as reported, seems to go beyond the pale.

Upon reconsideration, and again assuming the accuracy of the reporting, it may be appropriate to charge the sheriff. I’d still want a much more detailed investigation, however, before making that determination.

Rowland told Blackfoot Police Chief Scott Gay that he had “really screwed up,”

And he's right.

“I reach in and pull the driver out by the hair,” Rowland told investigators, according to court documents. “I say, ‘Who the f*** are you?’ And I do have a gun in my hand, but I still have my finger on the slide.”

Rowland told investigators he pointed the gun at the woman’s head. The woman later identified herself as a neighbor and family friend for over three decades.

lol

“I have been doing this job for 36 years,” Rowland said. “I have had drunk Indians drive down my cul-de-sac. I’ve had drunk Indians come to my door. I live just off the reservation, we have a lot of reservation people around us that are not good people.”

Investigators interviewed all of the girls in the vehicle and their adult leader. Their recounting of events is similar to Rowland’s with a few differences.

The woman said when Rowland pulled her out of the car, he reportedly lifted his gun then pointed it inches from her forehead, according to court documents. The woman said Rowland told her to never do this again, that he could shoot her, and that she needed to “get the f*** out of here.”

The girls who were in the car described Rowland getting upset, having a gun and saying the “f-bomb” multiple times. Several of them recall Rowland pointing the gun at the leader’s head and saying “I will f***ing shoot you.”

Sheriff was having a bad day.

No normal person would chase a car down and then pull the driver out by her hair and point a gun at their head just for ringing a doorbell.

Agreed. The guy sounds like a fucking psychopath. The last person we would want as the top law enforcement officer in the area.

Agreed. The guy sounds like a fucking psychopath. The last person we would want as the top law enforcement officer in the area.
He was out of control and his "drunk indians" excuse is weak. Now, drunk black people would be more convincing. You know how those drunk black people can get.

Right, Biff?

Any fucking mormon ringing my doorbell after dark, I tell you I will do time.
I would never point a gun at one of them, but I have been known to sing to them, or try to get them to join me doing the Hokey Pokey on the porch, or ask if I can tell their fortune by feeling the shape of their head. It's fun to see how crazy you have to get before it sends them running.

I would never point a gun at one of them, but I have been known to sing to them, or try to get them to join me doing the Hokey Pokey on the porch, or ask if I can tell their fortune by feeling the shape of their head. It's fun to see how crazy you have to get before it sends them running.
Just tell them you are Jewish and its like Kryptonite to them. They run like fuck.

Based on what is presented he sounds like a jackass. The question is, is the article telling us everything?

Forum List

Back