Was the GI Bill the cause of the inequality in the US today ?

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

It only applied to white folk and entrenched wealth within the white community for generations. The effects of this policy are still with us.

Men who fought fascism in Europe came home to face American fascism.

Obviously some people did well out of it. But not everyone. And should it not have been the essence of America ? Land of the free and also those black folk over there.

Its a bit late now but the govt could make the equivalent payments to the descendents of the black GIs.

Why should black soldiers have been left out ?

Last edited:

It only applied to white folk and entrenched wealth within the white community for generations. The effects of this policy are still with us.

Obviously some people did well out of it. But not everyone. And should it not have been the essence of America ? Land of the free and also those black folk over there.

Its a bit late now but the govt could make the equivalent payments to the descendents of the black GIs.

Why should black soldiers have beeen left out ?
what par of your link gave you the impression it was racist?

Why should black soldiers have beeen left out ?

In fact, legally, they were not..have you read your link?

By 1946, only one fifth of the 100,000 black people who had applied for educational benefits had been registered in college.[34] Furthermore, historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) came under increased pressure as rising enrollments and strained resources forced them to turn away an estimated 20,000 veterans. HBCUs were already the poorest colleges. HBCU resources were stretched even thinner when veterans' demands necessitated an expansion in the curriculum beyond the traditional "preach and teach" course of study.[34]

Though black people encountered many obstacles in their pursuit of G.I. benefits, the bill greatly expanded the population of African Americans attending college and graduate school. In 1940, enrollment at Black colleges was 1.08% of total U.S. college enrollment. By 1950 it had increased to 3.6%. However, these gains were limited almost exclusively to Northern states, and the educational and economic gap between white and black nationally widened under the effects of the G.I. Bill.[36] With 79 percent of the black population living in southern states, educational gains were limited to a small portion of black Americans.
[34]

Reality is the source of inequality in the US today.

In fact, legally, they were not..have you read your link?

By 1946, only one fifth of the 100,000 black people who had applied for educational benefits had been registered in college.[34] Furthermore, historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) came under increased pressure as rising enrollments and strained resources forced them to turn away an estimated 20,000 veterans. HBCUs were already the poorest colleges. HBCU resources were stretched even thinner when veterans' demands necessitated an expansion in the curriculum beyond the traditional "preach and teach" course of study.[34]

Though black people encountered many obstacles in their pursuit of G.I. benefits, the bill greatly expanded the population of African Americans attending college and graduate school. In 1940, enrollment at Black colleges was 1.08% of total U.S. college enrollment. By 1950 it had increased to 3.6%. However, these gains were limited almost exclusively to Northern states, and the educational and economic gap between white and black nationally widened under the effects of the G.I. Bill.[36] With 79 percent of the black population living in southern states, educational gains were limited to a small portion of black Americans.
[34]

Racial discrimination[edit]​

The G.I. Bill aimed to help American World War II veterans adjust to civilian life by providing them with benefits including low-cost mortgages, low-interest loans and financial support. The chairman of the American Veterans Committee at the time, Charles G. Bolte, wrote that federal agencies were consistently discriminating "as though the legislation were earmarked 'For White Veterans Only'".[30] According to historian Ira Katznelson, "the law was deliberately designed to accommodate Jim Crow".[31] In the New York and northern New Jersey suburbs 67,000 mortgages were insured by the G.I. Bill, but fewer than 100 were taken out by non-whites.[32][33]

Additionally, some banks and mortgage agencies refused loans to black people.[34] After the war, many people, black people included, returned to their former lives of poverty, making it difficult for them to pursue the higher education opportunities afforded by the G.I. Bill.

In the South, which was still segregated at that time, some universities refused to admit black people until the Civil Rights movement. Colleges accepting black people in the South initially numbered 100. Some of those institutions were of lower quality, with 28 of them classified as sub-baccalaureate. Only seven states offered post-baccalaureate training, while no accredited engineering or doctoral programs were available for blacks. These institutions were all smaller than white or non-segregated universities, often facing a lack of resources.[35]

The bit about racial discrimination.Maybe you stopped reading before you got there ?
why don't you cut and paste it?

because I've been eligible for the GI Bill for over 30 years, and I've never heard of what you're claiming.

The bit about racial discrimination.Maybe you stopped reading before you got there ?
The Bill was not racist. In application, racist people stood firmly in the way...but the GI Bill, even in the 40's and 1950's was a plus for Black veterans.It also caused the HBCU's to up their game.
The inequities of America did not start with the GI Bill in America. That started when we codified Slavery, continued through the importation of Chinese for labor, was present in 'Juan Crow' Southwest and California---Which is to say, our system was designed to be unequal..which is what makes it hard to keep the playing field level.
It's gotten a lot better in my lifetime.

The Bill was not racist. In application, racist people stood firmly in the way...but the GI Bill, even in the 40's and 1950's was a plus for Black veterans.It also caused the HBCU's to up their game.
The inequities of America did not start with the GI Bill in America. That started when we codified Slavery, continued through the importation of Chinese for labor, was present in 'Juan Crow' Southwest and California---Which is to say, our system was designed to be unequal..which is what makes it hard to keep the playing field level.
It's gotten a lot better in my lifetime.
The bill did not protect the interests of all people.

Do elitist dumb assed Brits really think that no blacks or American Indians fought in WW2 and enjoyed the benefits of the G.I. Bill? The ungrateful a-holes would be speaking German if it wasn't for the Colonies.

You talk a lot of shit about how racist the US's past is, meanwhile the British Empire fucked up a significant amount of the planet for centuries. Don't throw stones moron.

The pansy-assed Brits owe Americans trillions for their jolly old crimes of involuntary servitude and shanghai-ing.

Forum List

Back