V 22 Osprey

Is the V 22 Osprey a lemon or has it fixed its issues?
The President flies in it.
upload_2020-2-26_13-17-31.jpeg

This type of aircraft has always seemed like a pretty good idea. Too bad it got a bad reputation due to early accidents.

What is surprising is that something like this plane has not been adopted for passenger shuttle.

This type of aircraft has always seemed like a pretty good idea. Too bad it got a bad reputation due to early accidents.

Any new even mildly complex technological product has its initial bugs that have to be found and corrected. Must less something as innovative and previously un tried as the Osprey. Just ask me how I know.
O.K., I'm your huckleberry; how do you know?

The idea was long before the internet. I first read about in Popular Mechanics/Science in the early 1980's. It had a long gestation period. It was supposed to be a public passenger aircraft also. For short jaunts and to fly onto high rise rooftop landing areas. I have not seen that. It may exist though. If not, why? Is there still a potential safety issue? It was also designed for the Soviet era conflicts and has had an issue with its wings in desert areas. And there are differences in different types of desert areas and the uplifting of sand into the surrounding environment. this may/or has affected some types of transport and missions. Not trying to sound negative. And there has to be a lot of positives. For this craft will be here for the duration.

The idea was long before the internet. I first read about in Popular Mechanics/Science in the early 1980's. It had a long gestation period. It was supposed to be a public passenger aircraft also. For short jaunts and to fly onto high rise rooftop landing areas. I have not seen that. It may exist though. If not, why? Is there still a potential safety issue? It was also designed for the Soviet era conflicts and has had an issue with its wings in desert areas. And there are differences in different types of desert areas and the uplifting of sand into the surrounding environment. this may/or has affected some types of transport and missions. Not trying to sound negative. And there has to be a lot of positives. For this craft will be here for the duration.
It takes a spotter to land because of the cloud it makes under it. POS.

I'll call BS on that otherwise every helicopter landing would require a spotter. I've never seen any in my experience and that includes landing in unimproved LZs in Vietnam.

The desert was hard on all of our equipment especially rotor aircraft and solutions had to be improvised to fit the environment. That's nothing new in combat. Also it can carry 24 troops and their equipment into rapid deployment, that's many more than a helicopter can carry.
As for it's teething problems many famous aircraft had teething problems, some were almost scrapped until a fix was found to save it from the scrap pile. The P38 Lightning and the P51 Mustang both fit in that category. As for why it's not used commercially? Probably impracticable as regular aircraft and helicopters are cheaper to use.

I'll call BS on that otherwise every helicopter landing would require a spotter. I've never seen any in my experience and that includes landing in unimproved LZs in Vietnam.
Takes damn near 2 minutes to land. Makes it a huge target.

AIR_MV-22_Downwash_Dust_Cloud_lg.jpg

serveimage

"In February 2009, however, reports surfaced that V-22 downwash was so heavy, that it could blow other helicopters off of the amphibious assault ships’ flight decks. Gannet’s Marine Corps Times
external.png
:

“For example, Kouskouris said flight deck operators [on the USS Bataan] are reluctant to land an Osprey next to smaller helicopters such as the AH-1 Super Cobra or the UH-1 Huey because the tilt rotors’ massive downdraft could blow the smaller aircraft off a deck spot. He has formally asked for this restriction to be included in the Osprey’s future training programs.”

Last edited:

Takes damn near 2 minutes to land. Makes it a huge target.

AIR_MV-22_Downwash_Dust_Cloud_lg.jpg

serveimage

"In February 2009, however, reports surfaced that V-22 downwash was so heavy, that it could blow other helicopters off of the amphibious assault ships’ flight decks. Gannet’s Marine Corps Times
external.png
:

“For example, Kouskouris said flight deck operators [on the USS Bataan] are reluctant to land an Osprey next to smaller helicopters such as the AH-1 Super Cobra or the UH-1 Huey because the tilt rotors’ massive downdraft could blow the smaller aircraft off a deck spot. He has formally asked for this restriction to be included in the Osprey’s future training programs.”
Ever been in one, ever been in a helicopter, ever even been in the military? My guess is none of the above.
Well I suppose that excludes computer games which you may have some personal experience with.

Civilian V-22 Osprey
Featured snippet from the web
The AW609 tiltrotor aircraft is the civilian cousin of the larger, military V-22 Osprey, aimed at corporate aviation, search and rescue operations, and oil rig transport. ... The AW609 can fly at 320 mph; most helicopters top out around 170 mph.Feb 7, 2018

Search Results
Web results

The AW609 Is a V-22 Osprey-Inspired Private Plane | WIRED
www.wired.com › story › leonardo-aw609-tilt-rotor

Feb 7, 2018 - The AW609 tiltrotor aircraft is the civilian cousin of the larger, military V-22 Osprey, aimed at corporate aviation, search and rescue operations, and oil rig transport. ... The AW609 can fly at 320 mph; most helicopters top out around 170 mph.
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/first-civilian-tiltrotor-aircraft-aw609/index.html

Forum List

Back