USMB Coffee Shop IV

So..I will try to keep this short but no guarantees. Kat and a few others here...a scant few, I might add, knew of my past pain of something I did. It took 52 years to end that pain and I feel like sharing it with y'all because 1) I have a hard time sleeping especially with MrG gone and 2) it's exciting for me and for a long time, I have dealt with it but it has finally ended.

On Dec 22nd, 1970, I had a child. A son. I just turned 18. When he was 3 months old, my husband woke me and said he wanted a divorce, that his parents wanted me gone but wanted our son to stay with them because they had money, could give him what I could not, and that I could see him any time I wanted. They lied. I came back to California, thinking I would fly back and see him in a month or so, but when I walked in the door after that long and sad flight, I was told by my mom that their lawyer called and said there was a restraining order on me and to never contact them again. They had adopted him legally, had my signature, and I was to forget I ever had that child because he now belonged to them. Being 18 and no money and a vicious mother who would abuse him since i was at her mercy to take me in, and knowing she would do to him what she did to me, my sister, my sisters sons...I felt I made the right decision to make sure he would grow up to be sound and secure and happy.

They kept him well hidden. When he turned 18 I attempted contact. It was not accepted. I had an adoption agency contact him asking if he wanted to know about his birth mother...and they said his reply was a polite no. I called Oprah asking for help. I called other such shows asking. None ever replied. So for every year since 1970 on the 22nd of December, I silently wished him a happy birthday and wished he knew how much I missed him and wanted to tell him myself WHY I did what I did. Its been a long LONG search. But I found him 4 days ago. I left him a message on FB, which I joined just to be able to message him, and simply said "Do you still not want to know me? I am your birth mother", fully expecting silence, blocking, or another denial. Instead I got a message back saying "WOW! I have been looking for you a long time. I thought you were dead".

Since then, we have been emailing back and forth constantly, sharing info, sharing pics, sharing all we could. The last time I held him, smelled his baby smell, looked in his eyes...he was 3 months old. He will be 52 soon.And the pic he sent me is of a man 6'4" tall, married, with step children of his own and great grandchildren. Not his own, but adopted like he was. And he told me they did not treat him well after he found out that who he thought as his brothers, mother and father were really his uncles, grandmother and grandfather and his eldest brother was in reality his birth father.
It's been an eye opening few days and I am still numb, surprised, pleased and telling him all I can about my side of his family which makes him who he is.
We are so similar in thoughts, likes, dislikes, etc that its like looking in a mirror and the image is not me but of a man who looks very much like me. Mindboggling, to say the least.

I wish Kat were still alive so I could tell her that aspect of my life is now a present aspect and it turned out wonderful. But since I can't tell her..I can tell whomever reads this. Like him, there is not really anyone close to me TO tell except strangers on a message board that has been more family to me than my real family. Until now. Now..I have my son again. And we learn more about each other ever day.

Thanks for listening. I just wanted to tell someone. So I told you.
Blood is not water.. ^)

Hello all my fellows! :) I glad to see you're all, evening escaping from my job :) So, what can I do in this vacation, except drunkin' red dry?
I know it's bad and low morale, but these months my job have eaten me, and what could I do with it, thinkin' about my family?
And some family deals makes my faith complete... After the damne e covid we really don't have enough arms in family :(
So, Iehova made saturday for people, not people for saturday! SO let's drink with me in a party like a real russian, lol! :)

Sheesh .. sounds like my Mom only she liked rum n coke and winged funny stories of life as well.

When I grow up, I want to be a bon vivant whiskey swilling card playing old woman!

And speaking of whiskey, adding a couple of shots to a pot of chili is the coup de grace!

When I grow up, I want to be a bon vivant whiskey swilling card playing old woman!
Gallantly I could say, I want the same, but sorry, I'm man. I want to be an moderate alcoholic with the same adventures with my grandsons :) My children would dissatisfied by me, but let the God be with them, lol :)
I have a little thing from my childhood... It's interesting, who know, what is it? :)

Attachments

• 1670102495956.png
    1670102495956.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 8
Gallantly I could say, I want the same, but sorry, I'm man. I want to be an moderate alcoholic with the same adventures with my grandsons :) My children would dissatisfied by me, but let the God be with them, lol :)
I have a little thing from my childhood... It's interesting, who know, what is it? :)

I haven't a clue.

Oh, I know, because it's item from realities of late soviet childhood ;) Let's wait some answers, and I'll tell you, what is it (and how it's technological! :))) So, anyway, what's your idea?

A tongue scraper?

And speaking of whiskey, adding a couple of shots to a pot of chili is the coup de grace!
Oh! Pot of chili - super!!! :)
I have the same story... when I got a party with local university students :)
It was a day, when we with friend decide to drink a good fresh beer. So, we collected a several of 2.5 pinta bottles to visit local beer manufacture :) But than we took a part at this party, where we combined all our drunks... They took 2 5-pinta pots and in every pots they release two bottles of vodka and then about liter of ours beer to complete volume. And they used ladle to portion this drink...Brrrr, it was cool :)

When I'm in the mood to vavoom my old guy puttering around the yard and such, I'll brew the "real stuff" and go for it..

Me and caffeine, not so much, although, I am fully snoody on decaffeinated..
The caffeine doesn't bother me but then I don't drink coffee other than mornings anymore. When I was working though, we would keep the coffee pot going all day.

I did give up drinking coffee black and add a splash of milk to cut the acid now. My system seems to appreciate that.

Oh! Pot of chili - super!!! :)
I have the same story... when I got a party with local university students :)
It was a day, when we with friend decide to drink a good fresh beer. So, we collected a several of 2.5 pinta bottles to visit local beer manufacture :) But than we took a part at this party, where we combined all our drunks... They took 2 5-pinta pots and in every pots they release two bottles of vodka and then about liter of ours beer to complete volume. And they used ladle to portion this drink...Brrrr, it was cool :)
Well now we yanks associate Russians with vodka. But not chili. It's good to have these little exchanges though. I learn a lot. :)

Years ago when I was exec of a large social agency, we had classes for all sorts of dance - tap, ballet, ballroom etc. Our ballet instructor was a Russian immigrant, formerly of the Russian ballet, still as much Russian as she was American. :) One place she deviated though is she didn't like vodka. Her drink of choice was Southern Comfort whiskey which is about as American as you can get. :)

She was a world class gourmet cook too. Sometimes she would make us pancakes, I think she called them blini? Something like that. And she made the world's best beef stroganoff and little meat filled pastries I think she called pirozhki which may be spelled wrong in our language, no idea how to do it in Russian.

Last edited:
Oh, I have a bit stories from life.. an ordinar life, but who knows, what's from them could be interesting for American listeners :)
I think most of us like hearing about other people's experiences. In just a few short conversations here you've changed my thinking about some of your part of the world. Its not only interesting but educational. :)

Well now we yanks associate Russians with vodka. But not chili. It's good to have these little exchanges though. I learn a lot. :)

Years ago when I was exec of a large social agency, we had classes for all sorts of dance - tap, ballet, ballroom etc. Our ballet instructor was a Russian immigrant, formerly of the Russian ballet, still as much Russian as she was American. :) One place she deviated though is she didn't like vodka. Her drink of choice was Southern Comfort whiskey which is about as American as you can get. :)

She was a world class gourmet cook too. Sometimes she would make us pancakes, I think she called them blini? Something like that. And she made the world's best beef stroganoff and little meat filled pastries I think she called pirozhki which may be spelled wrong in our language, no idea how to do it in Russian.

Vodka is a classic drink, but mix of beer and vodka (cocktail "Youth") - is a real way to get drunk cheap and fast.. I don't like vodka too, but sometimes it's still a drink to finish party :)
Blini is a food for many situation, we have a holidays in february, when eating blini is a tradition Pancake with red caviar and vodka - a "before-revolution" style...
Did she feed you by a meat jellow? Also a good food with a mustard!

Vodka is a classic drink, but mix of beer and vodka (cocktail "Youth") - is a real way to get drunk cheap and fast.. I don't like vodka too, but sometimes it's still a drink to finish party :)
Blini is a food for many situation, we have a holidays in february, when eating blini is a tradition Pancake with red caviar and vodka - a "before-revolution" style...
Did she feed you by a meat jellow? Also a good food with a mustard!
I don't remember really. But it sure was good.

Forum List

Back