USMB Coffee Shop IV

My sister and brother-in-law tried it without selling their primary residence. They returned to their primary residence fairly quickly. Our best friends in Perryton TX also tried it without selling their primary residence and they also found it too confining after awhile and returned home. But that was two people forced into a more confining physical situation and one person might have a different experience. And if you don't give yourself the alternative as they did, maybe it could work.

Hombre and I still have a mortgage but because we did a re-fi when interest rates were at rock bottom our mortgage, utilities, insurance, and maintenance costs are less than we could rent a nice much smaller apartment. I think the national averages for RV park rental in a decent park run about $600/mo rent plus utilities. Full timers RV insurance last time we looked was over $1000/year and RV's also have to be maintained and stuff breaks. But no yard maintenance. However if having space to do your hobbies and such is important, that might be harder in the smaller confines of an RV.

I think if you think you would want a permanent spot in an RV park, a more affordable, less risky way to downsize is maybe look at a 55 and older mobile home park like Albuquerque Meadows. They have mobile homes for sale under $100,000, it's safe, well maintained, little or no yard work plus you have the pool, clubhouse, etc. and you would be really close to I-40 to get to the VA. Just an idea.
That is the other idea I've been tossing around. The potential problem there is what are the monthly fees to the mobile home park added to the monthly mortgage? Matter of fact this is looking like a better alternative.

Last edited:
1661532536075.jpeg

That is the other idea I've been tossing around. The potential problem there is what are the monthly fees to the mobile home park added to the monthly mortgage?
The Meadows is pretty expensive. I think $700/month plus utilities? But if you have enough equity in your home to buy one of their mobiles outright--and they don't cost much more than and possibly less than a nice 5th wheel--it is still affordable housing for most. Again that RV park will cost $400 to $600 a month minimum without all the amenities.

The average rental for a 2 bedroom apartment in Albuquerque is roughly $1,200 plus utilities, and that's not for a really nice place. And you do want enough space to enjoy your hobbies and some guilty pleasures. The Meadows is by no means the only choice. It's just one we're familiar with and the folks we know who have lived there loved it.

The Vineyard is another popular 55+ mobile home park and the space rental is under $500/month. There are no doubt others.

Last edited:
The Meadows is pretty expensive. I think $700/month plus utilities? But if you have enough equity in your home to buy one of their mobiles outright--and they don't cost much more than and possibly less than a nice 5th wheel--it is still affordable housing for most. Again that RV park will cost $400 to $600 a month minimum without all the amenities.

The average rental for a 2 bedroom apartment in Albuquerque is roughly $1,200 plus utilities, and that's not for a really nice place. And you do want enough space to enjoy your hobbies and some guilty pleasures. The Meadows is by no means the only choice. It's just one we're familiar with and the folks we know who have lived there loved it.

The Vineyard is another popular mobile home park and the space rental is under $500/month. There are no doubt others.
Unfortunately the equity in this house so far may be from $20 - $30K though being an older house with one bathroom and the original kitchen might only be $10K if I'm lucky.

Unfortunately the equity in this house so far may be from $20 - $30K though being an older house with one bathroom and the original kitchen might only be $10K if I'm lucky.
Tough call. The economy is so crappy for home buyers and sellers right now due to the higher interest rates, might be better to hold on if you can until things get better? I'm probably not the best person to advise on this. From what I've read recently, it is a seller's market. Maybe your home is worth more than you think it is? I think mortgage interest is at 5% now, not exorbitantly higher than two years ago, but higher. And may rise more. Again maybe I'm not the best person to advise?

I think the 20 yr mortgage payment on a $50k 20-year mobile home is a little over $300/month. And you would have the lot rental and utilities on top of that.

Last edited:
Tough call. The economy is so crappy for home buyers and sellers right now due to the higher interest rates, might be better to hold on if you can until things get better? I'm probably not the best person to advise on this. From what I've read recently, it is a seller's market. Maybe your home is worth more than you think it is?
Right now I'm just mulling it over, doing research so no decision to be made anytime soon, heck maybe for another couple of years. I also have been considering moving back up to Colorado Springs but it's even more expensive up there so that's probably a no go.

Right now I'm just mulling it over, doing research so no decision to be made anytime soon, heck maybe for another couple of years. I also have been considering moving back up to Colorado Springs but it's even more expensive up there so that's probably a no go.

I'm sure you'll think it all through and make the best decision for you. I like the idea of you living here. But in truth, there are a lot cheaper places to live than Albuquerque or Colorado Springs.

I'm sure you'll think it all through and make the best decision for you. I like the idea of you living here. But in truth, there are a lot cheaper places to live than Albuquerque or Colorado Springs.
True but one thing I have to keep in mind is the availability of VA medical centers or good medical accessibility if there are no VA medical centers nearby. The VA will pay for medical if access to any VA facility is remote. Also some VA medical centers aren't worth even going to and some that are are so overworked it's hard to get in in a timely manner.

I also looked up the least expensive places to retire out west...... Believe it or not one they list is Santa Fe............ Really? :lol:

True but one thing I have to keep in mind is the availability of VA medical centers or good medical accessibility if there are no VA medical centers nearby. The VA will pay for medical if access to any VA facility is remote. Also some VA medical centers aren't worth even going to and some that are are so overworked it's hard to get in in a timely manner.

I also looked up the least expensive places to retire out west...... Believe it or not one they list is Santa Fe............ Really? :lol:
Holy cow. I think you need a different list. El Paso shows to be one of the least expensive cities but you've already experienced that. And I agree, having access to good medical is critical when we get to a certain age.

A little bird told me..... some pretty cute corny bird jokes:

1. This one is just ducky:
Q. What's the favorite food of ducks?

A: Quackers in soup.

2. Why are chickens and turkeys considered the best dancers of all bird species?

A: Because they're poultry in motion.

3. Why did Mozart sell all his chickens?

A: Because he got tired of them calling "Bach, Bach, Bach, Bach-Bach" all the time.

4. Which bird movie got nominated for the Oscars?

A: "The Lord of the Wings"

5. What do you tell a sick bird?

A: "Get proper tweetment!"

6. What's a sure-fire way to keep birds of a feather in a flock?

A: "Use velcrow."

7. Why would birds get a new $60,000 electric car faster than humans?

A. Because, no matter what the price, they can always make a deposit on a new car.

8. Why do birds fly south in the fall?

A: Because it's too far to walk.

9. What is the favorite salad topping for large black birds?

A: "Crowtons."

10. What foreign language do birds who dwell in a boat-filled bay like the best?

A: "Port-u-geese."

Thank you for tolerating my pretty bad bird humor. :biggrin:

2. Why are chickens and turkeys considered the best dancers of all bird species?

A: Because he got tired of them calling "Bach, Bach, Bach, Bach-Bach" all the time.

A. Because, no matter what the price, they can always make a deposit on a new car.

10. What foreign language do birds who dwell in a boat-filled bay like the best?

O.K., you! Bedtime. Say good night.

They say Padre Island is pretty nice all year-around. Oh, except not in hurricane season. *sigh*

giphy.gif

Waxing philosophical this morning. Human beings have had coughs for any number of reasons such as allergies, a temporary irritation in the throat, swallowing a mouthful of water awkwardly, etc. etc. etc. But though issues of COVID seem to be a lot less with the general population lately, I think the pandemic may have reactive effects on us for some time. When I saw this meme I had to laugh because it is so true.

1661702788371.png

Forum List

Back