USMB Coffee Shop IV

My dear but departed older brother retired from the Navy to Corpus, where he worked on military equipment part-time, and he and his wife had a couple of acres two blocks over from the beach. Their weather was beautiful complete with Gulf breezes. On one of our visits to his place, he took us to Padre Island, which was a fun drive of laughs away, and ever so beautiful. We grew up spatting like cats and dogs but became best friends after he went to sea a few times. The first time I realized that I really didn't hate him was when he was 14 and I was 12. He had his appendix removed, and his doctor told mom and dad he had a 50-50 chance of surviving. After he recuperated, i never said another discouraging word to him, andwe be came best friends by the time we were in high school. We moved once a year every year, typical of most military families. In grade school Dad got a moving picture of me crying after one of our "fights" and saying something like "He touched me!!!" It was so silly, because he reached over and touched me on the arm with his forefinger, and not hard, either. My two kids got even with me though. When they were tykes, they fought like dragons over a discarded chewing gum wrapper. Kids! :auiqs.jpg:
Anyway, I'm glad you got to visit Corpus. I never did get to see the marine museum with fish, though. We were supposed to go there on our next visit, not realizing he forgot to tell us he was dying of cancer. What a guy.
Lived there for 2 years after I retired from the Army.

Ha! I have finished writing my autobiography . I thought I would be able to send it to a publishers for consideration today. But they request a word count. I see no way I am going to be able to even guess at how many words are in my book any time soon.

Ha! I have finished writing my autobiography . I thought I would be able to send it to a publishers for consideration today. But they request a word count. I see no way I am going to be able to even guess at how many words are in my book any time soon.
Is it typewritten or on the computer? If so, count the words on the first three pages and divide by 3. If single spaced you'll probably have 400 or 500 words. If double spaced you'll have 200 to 250 words. Whatever the number multiply by the number of pages and you'll have your word count close enough.

Is it typewritten or on the computer? If so, count the words on the first three pages and divide by 3. If single spaced you'll probably have 400 or 500 words. If double spaced you'll have 200 to 250 words. Whatever the number multiply by the number of pages and you'll have your word count close enough.
Thanks for that, its on my computer. But a lot of the pages have spaces between the lines or short lines. It ain't gonna be that easy. I have counted the first few lines, and they average 18 words a line.

Your Word program should have a word count feature on it. You should be able to find a tutorial on Youtube to find out how to use it.

There are also free self-editing programs online that will give you a word count.

Your Word program should have a word count feature on it. You should be able to find a tutorial on Youtube to find out how to use it.

There are also free self-editing programs online that will give you a word count.
Thanks, I don't think Lotus word processor has a word count, but I will check the internet for a self editor. I just did that at the following site.

My first page is 799 words. But unfortunately it is apparently full of grammatical errors.

edit: hooray it counts entire chapters. Chapter one 3272 words.

Last edited:
Hooray ! I done it, I found out how many words in each chapter, and added them with an online calculator. The total number of words in my book is 53164

I used this on my book............

I was able to use it for free for a week. It's actually a pretty good program, and simple to use.

A flora report from the Wisco tree ranch....

Only one peony this year....Sandy soil doesn't help.

Our little wild lady slipper conservatory of 12-15 only had two blooms this year, even though all the greenery from them emerged....First time in memory that has happened.

After lack of timely rain left us skunked on blueberries last year, this season is setting up for a bumper crop, with patches that I've not seen with berries producing this time around....Of course the reciprocal being that a couple of my stash patches aren't as bountiful as they have been in years gone by....Gotta have multiple stashes of patches for this game.

I expect the raspberries to start forming in the next copule weeks....The blooms lead me to believe we're going to get a good harvest of those too.....Still unsure of the blackberries....Don't have a line on as many locations of those as I do the other too....We'll see.

Our little wild lady slipper conservatory of 12-15 only had two blooms this year, even though all the greenery from them emerged....First time in memory that has happened.

After lack of timely rain left us skunked on blueberries last year, this season is setting up for a bumper crop, with patches that I've not seen with berries producing this time around....Of course the reciprocal being that a couple of my stash patches aren't as bountiful as they have been in years gone by....Gotta have multiple stashes of patches for this game.

I expect the raspberries to start forming in the next copule weeks....The blooms lead me to believe we're going to get a good harvest of those too.....Still unsure of the blackberries....Don't have a line on as many locations of those as I do the other too....We'll see.
Our monsoon arrived two to three weeks early this year and produced a good amount of rain. In the high desert where the land is harsh and can be forbidding much of the time, especially after prolonged drought, wildflowers burst into bloom as profusely as I've ever seen them. However short lived, wonderful to see. (P.S. I'm surprised peonies would bloom at all in sandy soil. We were told not to try them here in our sand and clay--they need loose loam to thrive.)
1656884996312.png

1656885019744.png

1656885077186.png

Our monsoon arrived two to three weeks early this year and produced a good amount of rain. In the high desert where the land is harsh and can be forbidding much of the time, especially after prolonged drought, wildflowers burst into bloom as profusely as I've ever seen them. However short lived, wonderful to see. (P.S. I'm surprised peonies would bloom at all in sandy soil. We were told not to try them here in our sand and clay--they need loose loam to thrive.)
View attachment 665723
View attachment 665724
View attachment 665726

Beautiful pics, Foxy. I'm taking up photography myself and hope I can do pictures like these.

Beautiful pics, Foxy. I'm taking up photography myself and hope I can do pictures like these.
Oh I didn't take them. They are just some I had saved on my computer because they are so beautiful. But keep up the work with your photography. My hubby, Hombre on USMB, is a one time semi-professional photographer that has done some really great work. I was trained as a news photographer as well as reporter so go more for the candid shots that tell a story, but I sure appreciate the art in other people's work too.

Thanks to those who gave us and the world Freedom
from Foreign Oppression in 1776 and every war since then
today and every day.​

1656959177635.png
1656958540416.png
1656959690016.png
1656958368317.png
1656962293267.png

. . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WWI . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Doughboys, WWI. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .WWII
1656960678259.png
1656960203875.png
1656962014819.png
1656960615804.png
1656961388914.png

. . . . . . WWII . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Korean War, Pork Chop Hill . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . Nam. . . . . . . . . . . . . ., The 58,272 names (updated)
. . . . .
1656962451608.png
1656961745241.png
1656958702791.png
1656957772751.png

They don't allow more than 14 or 15 pictures, so thanks to all who served this nation, dead or alive. Bless those who were hurt so badly, who lost buddies, and who put themselves in harm's way at any time for their fellow Americans. Many of us in military families take losses pretty hard. Thanks, with love for all who serve us. ❤️💙🤍💙❤️

I'm surprised the peonies bloom at all in sandy soil. In Kansas they were practically indestructable, needed little maintenance, grew huge and bloomed profusely year after year in the loose loamy soil they require. Here in New Mexico our nursery folks don't even carry the plants or the seeds as they simply don't like our sandy soil or prevalent clay, granulated granite and caliche.

Forum List

Back