USMB Coffee Shop IV

I believe in the power of prayer. One of the members of our congregation was hospitalized with severe postpartum depression after the birth of her second child. Upon her release from hospital, she jumped in front of a train and was hospitalized in a coma with little hope sheā€™d survive. Our little congregation prayed at every gathering for her recovery. We prayed together and on our own. After a month she emerged from her coma and she survived. No one will ever convince me that our prayers didnā€™t help that happen.

And I believe my ā€œremarkableā€ recovery is due to prayer as well. The staff keeps talking about my ā€œhigh pain toleranceā€ and I keep replying Iā€™m not having much pain.

Drugs, right up to opioids, are available to me on request, but I have to ask for them. Today, I had 2 Tylenol when I woke up at 6:30, and the same tonight at 9:00 pm. I also had 2 hours of physio today, including stair climbing and a lot of walking.

Iā€™m a total wuss about pain. Plus they told me pain management is the key to my ability to do physio and not to be shy about asking for meds, and Iā€™m not. I just havenā€™t needed them.

I believe in the power of prayer. One of the members of our congregation was hospitalized with severe postpartum depression after the birth of her second child. Upon her release from hospital, she jumped in front of a train and was hospitalized in a coma with little hope sheā€™d survive. Our little congregation prayed at every gathering for her recovery. We prayed together and on our own. After a month she emerged from her coma and she survived. No one will ever convince me that our prayers didnā€™t help that happen.

And I believe my ā€œremarkableā€ recovery is due to prayer as well. The staff keeps talking about my ā€œhigh pain toleranceā€ and I keep replying Iā€™m not having much pain.

Drugs, right up to opioids, are available to me on request, but I have to ask for them. Today, I had 2 Tylenol when I woke up at 6:30, and the same tonight at 9:00 pm. I also had 2 hours of physio today, including stair climbing and a lot of walking.

Iā€™m a total wuss about pain. Plus they told me pain management is the key to my ability to do physio and not to be shy about asking for meds, and Iā€™m not. I just havenā€™t needed them.
I can't argue with you about that. I had a very extreme and life threatening surgery in 2016 but had a powerful prayer team praying for me. Essentially no pain, no complications, none of the bad stuff my surgeon told me to expect. He was pretty amazed too. (And I'm grateful for the Coffee Shoppers here who were pulling for me too.)

1652564160942.png

That is great you havenā€™t needed a lot of meds. Pain is a weird thing. I am having some pain issues when running but can work through themā€¦butā€¦.

dental pain? Iā€™m sweating bullets at the first twinge, Iā€™m begging for more novocaine as soon as I hear the drill and I have the emergency dental clinic on speed dial.

I can't argue with you about that. I had a very extreme and life threatening surgery in 2016 but had a powerful prayer team praying for me. Essentially no pain, no complications, none of the bad stuff my surgeon told me to expect. He was pretty amazed too. (And I'm grateful for the Coffee Shoppers here who were pulling for me too.)

Same here. One of my physios said sheā€™s never seen a knee replacement patient with such range of motion. Tonight I was walking with my hands basically resting on the walker. With no pain meds at all today.

They have done studies that show that people who are prayed for, have better outcomes. Science has proven it, but cannot explain why.

Today is a day off from physio. Iā€™ve been trying to do laundry since I didnā€™t bring enough pants and Iā€™m out of clean shirts and underwear, but Iā€™ve been so exhausted after 1 1/2 of physio ever day, so right after breakfast I asked for someone to get me started.

Youā€™re allowed to wear your own clothes here, but they donā€™t do your laundry. The PSW took me to the second floor where thereā€™s a washer and a dryer we can use. She took a load out of the washer and put it in the dryer. Then she put my clothes in the washer and turned it on. I went up to put my clothes in the dryer and someone had already done it. All I had to do was fold them and take them back to my room. But they donā€™t do your laundry here.

Now Iā€™m freshly showered, with enough clean clothes to get me through to discharge.

That is great you havenā€™t needed a lot of meds. Pain is a weird thing. I am having some pain issues when running but can work through themā€¦butā€¦.

dental pain? Iā€™m sweating bullets at the first twinge, Iā€™m begging for more novocaine as soon as I hear the drill and I have the emergency dental clinic on speed dial.
I think we might be sisters from different misters. :) Dental pain is one thing I am absolutely paranoid and terribly irrationally fear. I can't stand the drill or the thought of the dentist hitting some obscure nerve that didn't get deadened or whatever. There is nothing I can do to meditate or rationalize or talk myself through it. It's just there. I bet my blood pressure is up 40 points every time I walk into the dentist's office.

Last edited:
Tomorrow night, May 15, we will be treated to a total lunar eclipse of the full 'flower' moon. I think I saw it begins about 9:30 p.m. EDT so it will be early enough to stay up to see. That would be 7:30 p.m. here in New Mexico and the sun doesn't set until a bit after 8 p.m, but tonight, with the sun not yet set, the moon in the east was bright and visible. No clouds expected so I'm hoping we get to see it.

I think we might be sisters from different misters. :) Dental pain is one thing I am absolutely paranoid and completely irrationally fear. I can't stand the drill or the thought of the dentist hitting some obscure nerve that didn't get deadened or whatever. There is nothing I can do to meditate or rationalize or talk myself through it. It's just there.
Well ladies it's because most Dentists are evil...

1652591234179.png

Don't forget everybody. We will have a full super moon--the May flower or blood moon--tonight and a total lunar eclipse beginning roughly 9:30 p.m. Eastern with the full eclipse about 11:30. That's early enough for most of us to stay up and see it. The sun will still be up at 7:30 Mountain time but we could see the moon well last night at 7:30 so maybe it will be okay tonight too. It is dark by 9:30 Mountain when the moon will be in full eclipse.

According to NASA, tonight's super moon is a super moon because it is so close to Earth it will appear some 14% bigger than what we normally see in the sky.

Alas we didn't get to see it. High cloud cover thick enough to completely block out the moon. Wasn't supposed to be there, but our weather reports leave a lot to be desired around here.

Hey guys. I hope you are all doing well.

The water heater broke, family came to the rescue, fixed it.

My Dad chose me to help edit a book he was writing. I was honored.

I am happy to say that our finances are weathering the storm thus far. Thank God for that.

I hope you all are making it too. I haven't forgotten about you all and this place. It reminds me of the humanity of each person I talk to on this board.

I am sorry if I get ugly with some of you in the political forum.

Sleep well!

Hey guys. I hope you are all doing well.

The water heater broke, family came to the rescue, fixed it.

My Dad chose me to help edit a book he was writing. I was honored.

I am happy to say that our finances are weathering the storm thus far. Thank God for that.

I hope you all are making it too. I haven't forgotten about you all and this place. It reminds me of the humanity of each person I talk to on this board.

I am sorry if I get ugly with some of you in the political forum.

Sleep well!
Happy you stopped by TK and happy things are going well for you. Don't be a stranger.

Coyote, a simple kitchen remedy to oral issues may be on your spice shelf. It will stop pain if you wash hands, and while still moist, dip your forefinger into your opened chive spice. Rub it on the area that hurts. First, I know it at first tastes awful, but it is an analgesic that within 15 seconds will begin to alleviate pain in the area. The real kicker about cloves is that if you use what's on your finger apply some all over the oral cavity. You won't have one single germ left in your mouth. It wipes out every bacteria, virus, or protozoa in your mouth. Less than 1/8 of a teaspoon is plenty for several applications, but even my worst toothache is better after a second application 30 minutes later. Brush with your regular toothpaste after letting cloves do its magic in 3 or 4 minutes. Freedom from oral pain ends well if you can brace yourself to stand the strong taste of cloves. :thup: and it's good to see you here. :huddle:

Don't forget everybody. We will have a full super moon--the May flower or blood moon--tonight and a total lunar eclipse beginning roughly 9:30 p.m. Eastern with the full eclipse about 11:30. That's early enough for most of us to stay up and see it. The sun will still be up at 7:30 Mountain time but we could see the moon well last night at 7:30 so maybe it will be okay tonight too. It is dark by 9:30 Mountain when the moon will be in full eclipse.

According to NASA, tonight's super moon is a super moon because it is so close to Earth it will appear some 14% bigger than what we normally see in the sky.
Yep full moons, 2 cuckoo shoot-it-ups in a supermarket and a church in the past 48 hours, and my cat and dog who used to love each other had a spitfire fight last night, and Miss Piccolo had a hissyfit as Miss Song grew-large-quickly puppy put her huge paw down on kitty's fat tummy. This morning, Miss Songie is outside singing the blues, and Miss Piccolo is in her bathroom hideaway rather satisfied that the puppy nutcase will no longer love her to death. 'Scuse my little tiny bah, humbug moment on such a beautiful thing as our light-by-night moon shining often pulls the worst out out of mice and men. Ask any seasoned ER room nurse about full moons. At least, lately, it hasn't been overcast so we can enjoy God's evening light show that is so wondrous every 29.5 days. Thanks, Ollie for that magnificent picture. For some reason, looking up at the full moon makes me feel so peaceful. I say a little prayer if I'm out in the car under a full moon. It's "dear Lord, help our drivers tonight to drive safely when their spirits can quickly cause them to disregard auto safety, amen."

Have a lovely week ahead, everyone.

Forum List

Back