USMB Coffee Shop IV

So today's puzzler:

Start with 80
Subtract your age
Add 40
The answer is the year you were born

(For the life of me I don't know how this works but it does for me.)
Strange, it worked for me too. But I suspect it does not work for people born after 2000.

Yes it does. A 19 year old born in 2001 - 80 minus 19 is 61 plus 40 = --01.

I know it's a simple rationale and I love working those kinds of puzzles, but I can't quite wrap my head around why this works for everybody.

Think of it this way: what the problem really does is ask you to subtract your age from 120. If you look at 120 as being equivalent to today, 2020, it's just subtracting your age from the current year.

Except that it still works in 2021????

So today's puzzler:

Start with 80
Subtract your age
Add 40

Strange, it worked for me too. But I suspect it does not work for people born after 2000.

I know it's a simple rationale and I love working those kinds of puzzles, but I can't quite wrap my head around why this works for everybody.

Think of it this way: what the problem really does is ask you to subtract your age from 120. If you look at 120 as being equivalent to today, 2020, it's just subtracting your age from the current year.

It will only work in 2021 until your birthday. If you add a year to your age but use the same equation, you'll get a different answer. I would guess that's why you find that sort of thing this late in the year: most people have already had their birthdays. Anyone born in late December would not get their birth year when doing that.

For example, I am 46. Using that equation, 80-46=34. 34+40=74. I was born in 1974. If I was born on December 23rd, though, I'd only be 45. Then it would be 80-45=35. 35+40=75. I would still have been born in 1974, so the equation would fail for me.
Switch to 2021. I'm still going to be 46 until October, so the same equation would work. But once I turn 47, I'll get 80-47=33. 33+40=73. I wasn't born in 73.

There really isn't much to it, they just overly complicated a simple equation to make it appear to do something it really doesn't. :)

[QUOTE="beautress, post: omitted for drivel and space considerations. <giggle>
Kick his sorry ass to the curb. Whatcha waiting for???
[/QUOTE]
He is still putting the insulation, flooring, and planned a "loft" for really cluttery stuff such as cotton lace yarns, cotton sport yarns, rug weight yarns, and a few moving boxes of acrylic 4-ply yarns, and an assortment of sewing machines used as display and teaching computer machines that embroider and do faux machine lace that resemble everything you ever wanted to see on pillowcases from anemones to zebras and 50 discs of objects, toys and crib floaties for anything you can imagine on a two dimensional surface or three.

There is a staggering amount of quilt fabrics in every hue, pastel, and a dozen tints of southwest atmospheric colors and warm and cool neutrals you can name, not to mention my collections of ornithilogical and lepidopteric subjects, not to mention several types of horticultural prints and enough leftovers to make crazy and log cabin quilts for 25 years of 8 hour days. You may think I'm exaggerating, but actually, I am wondering how I will get 3 more bedrooms full of fabrics stacked halfway up the walls in a 25x35X10' building, not counting yarns. Yes, I am a bonafide fiber artist cheerfully unknown down here since I dedicated my life to sewing quilts for aids babies, fatherless children, and an occasional quilt for fundraising for the H.E. A. R. T. S. Museum located about 5 miles from here on HWY 75.

Progress has sorta backed off since the Covid19 scare, plus knocking myself out to please my houseguest who himself is a Vietnam Vet but has no use for artwork and hates looking at the wake of completing one art piece after another and totally lacking in cleanup perspectives when it comes down to lifting after losing muscle abilities I had before having fibromyalgia for 15-17 years that caused me to retire at age 63 and leave that fabulously beautiful but frozen Platte River Valley of Casper, Wyoming.

Not to worry, because here, the dear ladies of the Tall Pines quilt do the heavy lifting of quilting the quilts tops produced on my well days. And I'm learning to bark back at the house guest who occupies the only bedroom not cluttered with my stash. This year, I hired helpers to clear the downstairs in which there were wall to wall fabric bins and boxes that precluded every square inch of the den, music rooms, etc.

An oils and acrylic painter can make masterpieces of a dozen tubes of paint, brushes, and supplies that occupy an 18 inch paintbox/easel. A fiber artist with a stash like mine doesn't have to go anywhere to make fabric paintings with preplanning and visually textured remnants accumulated over a lifetime of retail and private fabric sources.

Needless to say, some quilters end their careers when everyone in the family has enough quilts to last throughout their lifetimes. So what do they do with their leftovers? They call Freedombecki who accepts all cottons, pieces and yardages and tries her best to make a quilt for a good cause and gets the top to the Tall Pines Charity Bees for quilting and giving. I need to get my act together and take the half dozen tiny tops for tiny tots that are stored in the upstairs closet for that purpose.

USMB Quilt thread of some of those past works, plus inspirations from other people whose quilts were seen through bing and other image finders online may be found in the USMB Arts and Crafts boards at the "Artful Homemade Quilts Have a Way" thread.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday! :huddle:

So today's puzzler:

Start with 80
Subtract your age
Add 40

It will only work in 2021 until your birthday. If you add a year to your age but use the same equation, you'll get a different answer. I would guess that's why you find that sort of thing this late in the year: most people have already had their birthdays. Anyone born in late December would not get their birth year when doing that.

For example, I am 46. Using that equation, 80-46=34. 34+40=74. I was born in 1974. If I was born on December 23rd, though, I'd only be 45. Then it would be 80-45=35. 35+40=75. I would still have been born in 1974, so the equation would fail for me.
Switch to 2021. I'm still going to be 46 until October, so the same equation would work. But once I turn 47, I'll get 80-47=33. 33+40=73. I wasn't born in 73.

There really isn't much to it, they just overly complicated a simple equation to make it appear to do something it really doesn't. :)

Okay I get it. But just like I understand the theory of how the international date line works, my brain simple won't wrap around it to see it like it does doing simple arithmetic or solving a puzzle or such. But then you are the math whiz so I'm gonna believe you told it like it is. :)

Flickr_-_Official_U.S._Navy_Imagery_-_A_Pearl_Harbor_survivor%2C_salutes_the_Arizona_memorial_during_a_wreath_laying_ceremony_at_Joint_Base_Pearl_Harbor-Hickam..jpg

Last week I was listening to song parodies on You Tube and ran across one I haven't heard in a while. The damn song has been stuck in my head for a week...........

Could be worse songs to have stuck in one's head....... :lol:

Last week I was listening to song parodies on You Tube and ran across one I haven't heard in a while. The damn song has been stuck in my head for a week...........

This one sticks in mine often.

Well my name's John Lee Pettimore
Same as my daddy and his daddy before
You hardly ever saw Grandaddy down here
He only come to town about twice a year
He'd buy a hundred pounds of yeast and some copper line
Everybody knew that he made moonshine
Now the revenue man wanted Grandaddy bad
Headed up the holler with everything he had
'Fore my time but I've been told
He never come back from Copperhead Road
Now Daddy ran whiskey in a big block Dodge
Bought it at an auction at the Mason's Lodge
Johnson County Sheriff painted on the side
Just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside
Well him and my uncle tore that engine down
I still remember that rumblin' sound
When the Sheriff came around in the middle of the night
Heard mama cryin', knew something wasn't right…
More

Well this is a first. Woke up this morning and couldn't move my left leg due to extreme pain in the groin/hip area. Needed to pee, HAD to get out of the damn bed. But how??? So...I grunted, bit my lip, cussed a few times, then slid off the bed, THUMP to the floor, on my right side. Good thing my bed is not on a frame...not far to fall. Plus I pushed my MANY pillows over first before rolling off. Now. How to GET UP? Used every body part except the left leg and finally got to a standing position. Now what? Grab chairs, hobble to dresser where my walking staff is, grab that, take an advil and just stand there holding the staff. Advil kicks in, so I walk around the room best I can. Felt better after unlocking whatever was locked. Still hurts, but at least I can move my leg better. After experimenting, I found I could walk very well if I pretended I was Mrs Ah-Wiggins from the carol burnett show. Don't more hip, lock knees together and walk with just calves moving...but it looked dumb so when I went outside for a cig, I took my staff. :auiqs.jpg:

I'm only 68. I can imagine whats gonna wonk out at 70+.
:dunno: :oops:

Gracie, if I had my way I would eat Vicodin's like Skittles...
lol. I have them. But I have other stuff too, so I have to make sure there are 4 hours between each med that can harm me. Besides...vicodins do nothing for inflamation. Pain goes away, yes. But Advil works great on me..and its for inflamation. Only when its really bad do I drag out the vic....er....skittles.

Gracie I eat 4 10mg Norco's everyday for 8 years... I lived a pretty much normal life during that time... At the end of the 8 year period a had some rotten teeth that was causing me more pain than normal... Things got out of hand for about a month and I started the skittles routine... It wasn't a pretty picture... That was 6 years ago and I haven't eat any since, but I don't live a normal life anymore either... But life is good...:sleep:

You can usually get over it by singing it loudly out loud. But given the lyrics, I wouldn't sing it where the neighbors can hear you. :)

Gracie I eat 4 10mg Norco's everyday for 8 years... I lived a pretty much normal life during that time... At the end of the 8 year period a had some rotten teeth that was causing me more pain than normal... Things got out of hand for about a month and I started the skittles routine... It wasn't a pretty picture... That was 6 years ago and I haven't eat any since, but I don't live a normal life anymore either... But life is good...:sleep:
Define "skittles," plz. Thx.
:whipg:

You can usually get over it by singing it loudly out loud. But given the lyrics, I wouldn't sing it where the neighbors can hear you. :)

<giggle>

I definitely shoulda been here last night instead of watchin' noozhax.... :rofl:

Forum List

Back