USMB Coffee Shop IV

well....it finally happened. 4 years wandering, 4 months homeless. We are moving on the 23rd to a low income apartment here in town. Home has not called and probably won't, so although I am not burning that particular bridge, we are accepting this unit offered us. I applied right after we moved in here and they called 2 weeks ago to start the paperwork, but I didn't say anything cuz things tend to not happen if spoken of.

Am I happy about it? Yeah. I guess so. It's a roof. All we have to pay is the rent, which HUD pays 30% of our total income, they pay electric, water, sewer, trash. We pay for internet and cable. Thats it. It will come to about the amount we are paying now where we are, but..the big difference is..if something happens to me or MrG, the rent is adjusted to that income which will be less since one of us is gone. And, no rent increases. We can live there forever, until we die.

Went and looked at it today. There are 6 floors...120 units. THANKFULLY God heard my prayers and gave us an end unit, top floor, facing north) overlooking the quaint front area that has flowers, bushes trees and an amazing view of distance buildings and the very busy road but its far enough away that if I close the LARGE BALCONEY DOORS, we hear nothing. Tiny kitchen, but doable. Semi large bedroom which is also doable. Bathroom is in the bedroom, which sucks. BIG closets..one in bedroom, other in kitchen by front door. Balconey is as wide and the living room and bedroom side by side so fairly large. Two emergency bell pulls in case one of us falls down or need help immediately...one in bedroom, one in bathroom. Laundry room on bottom floor and only 1.00 per load which is cheap. Bookshelves on every floor full of books in the hallway, for anyone to borrow to read. Bingo room when this covid shit is over, exit stairs next door to our apt, so I have easy access to get outside to smoke off property....or the small smoking section they have inside the grounds by back in the back. Very cute area. Place is like fort knox, too. Gotta have thingies to wave in front of sensors to get in; all guests have to sign in in the lobby. So if I decide to smoke in smoking section, I am protected by very high walls and fences so riff raff cannot come in and bug me to "borrow" a cig or "have a puff".

Bummer is...I will never see the beach again. This is now home I guess. And I am allowed only one pet. I am going to miss the menagerie I have here. 2 mama cats, 5 kittens between then, 3 possums. Who is going to feed them when I am gone? I worry about them and it makes me sad. S

Some of the rules are dumb, but...I guess I can live with it. I might grumble, but..its a roof. Its small but cute, and I can at least be outside in the fresh air when I go onto the balconey.

However...who knows what the future brings? I have a friend in Wyoming that is considering us moving there because she needs help with the ranch and stuff. Collecting mail, letting in maintenance guys if needed and she is not there, etc. If she calls and says "come"...I'm going. Period. I want out of Cali. But for now...and forever if we want it....we have a place. Finally.
Dear Gracie, I lived in Wyoming a total of 35 years. I spent most of the time suffering the extreme cold weather. Befo7re going there after a 60th birthday carries true hazards. 1, icy walks and streets including highways. 2, water supplies in areas transformed from being old oil processing at mile high can be deleterious to gut health. 3, Living at mile high is not recommended for heart health. In fact if either you or your partner has ever had high blood pressure or other heart-affected problems, you have a 33% chance higher of sudden death from heart_related issues in young or older ages. This is because there is a huge percentage less of oxygen at mile high. If you live in central Wyoming, you can and will suffer from 22 different strep throat bug species. Failure to get a sore throat diagnoses can result in lifelong heart issues. Don't even think about "It won't get me, maybe" if you are a smoker, so be sure you both have life insurance payments paid up and not lapsed for one minute. Social services are almost non-existent, but on the positive side, people are the best of good neighbors in the Equality State if you do not bemoan "home" in another state. It's lonely out in the open spaces. Best wishes if you decide to live in cold, windy, relentless weather of the Indian Paintbrush state. There is endless beauty there if you have hearty health....

Letting everyone know I'm still alive.
One of my brothers just left a while ago headed back home to Kansas. He came down to give me company for a few days besides we hadn't seen each other in a couple of years. We both enjoyed each others company and he helped (pushed) me to get a couple things done around the house. I'm the oldest of four, he's number #3, retired 1st Sergent with the Armored Cavalry with one tour in Serbia (Un/Nato forces) and 2 tours in Iraq. He had some wild stories to tell........
Helped a lot.
Good to see you around, Ringel. I, too, have found much comfort in re-connecting with my siblings.

Been trying to keep myself busy since my brother left, like I said he pulled me out of my funk and I have no intention on going back down there. In a way it almost feels a little sacrilegious not heavily mourning her passing but I'm still mourning just not letting that mourning drag me down. When he showed up he brought a Hawken Rifle kit that he got as part of his inheritance and never opened, opened it up the second day he was here and saw my dad had indeed finished it. I just had to do a little filing and wood shaving to get the barrel to fit back in properly.
Also sold the weight bench and free weights today to a couple of girls, they were happy to have it considering it's a high quality competition style bench with 200 pounds of weight and two bars with other sundry items. Had to take the bench apart for them to get it in their SUV. They'll be coming back to get the tread mill which I can't use besides I still have my universal weight machine and my stationary recliner bike.
Right now I'm just tired from doing all that stuff today, will get back to it tomorrow.
You know deep down that your beloved would not have wanted you to waste away mourning her passing. Moving on is not the same as moving away from her memory.
You are my hero, brother.

well....it finally happened. 4 years wandering, 4 months homeless. We are moving on the 23rd to a low income apartment here in town. Home has not called and probably won't, so although I am not burning that particular bridge, we are accepting this unit offered us. I applied right after we moved in here and they called 2 weeks ago to start the paperwork, but I didn't say anything cuz things tend to not happen if spoken of.

Am I happy about it? Yeah. I guess so. It's a roof. All we have to pay is the rent, which HUD pays 30% of our total income, they pay electric, water, sewer, trash. We pay for internet and cable. Thats it. It will come to about the amount we are paying now where we are, but..the big difference is..if something happens to me or MrG, the rent is adjusted to that income which will be less since one of us is gone. And, no rent increases. We can live there forever, until we die.

Went and looked at it today. There are 6 floors...120 units. THANKFULLY God heard my prayers and gave us an end unit, top floor, facing north) overlooking the quaint front area that has flowers, bushes trees and an amazing view of distance buildings and the very busy road but its far enough away that if I close the LARGE BALCONEY DOORS, we hear nothing. Tiny kitchen, but doable. Semi large bedroom which is also doable. Bathroom is in the bedroom, which sucks. BIG closets..one in bedroom, other in kitchen by front door. Balconey is as wide and the living room and bedroom side by side so fairly large. Two emergency bell pulls in case one of us falls down or need help immediately...one in bedroom, one in bathroom. Laundry room on bottom floor and only 1.00 per load which is cheap. Bookshelves on every floor full of books in the hallway, for anyone to borrow to read. Bingo room when this covid shit is over, exit stairs next door to our apt, so I have easy access to get outside to smoke off property....or the small smoking section they have inside the grounds by back in the back. Very cute area. Place is like fort knox, too. Gotta have thingies to wave in front of sensors to get in; all guests have to sign in in the lobby. So if I decide to smoke in smoking section, I am protected by very high walls and fences so riff raff cannot come in and bug me to "borrow" a cig or "have a puff".

Bummer is...I will never see the beach again. This is now home I guess. And I am allowed only one pet. I am going to miss the menagerie I have here. 2 mama cats, 5 kittens between then, 3 possums. Who is going to feed them when I am gone? I worry about them and it makes me sad. S

Some of the rules are dumb, but...I guess I can live with it. I might grumble, but..its a roof. Its small but cute, and I can at least be outside in the fresh air when I go onto the balconey.

However...who knows what the future brings? I have a friend in Wyoming that is considering us moving there because she needs help with the ranch and stuff. Collecting mail, letting in maintenance guys if needed and she is not there, etc. If she calls and says "come"...I'm going. Period. I want out of Cali. But for now...and forever if we want it....we have a place. Finally.
I've been away so long, I missed this. Wow, Gracie, it's something. You know you always have a place here, if you want it. My brother is seriously considering moving up here, too. If he comes, we can maybe build a couple of rental cabins. Or just nice places for friends to stay. You take care, you know I am rooting for you and Mr. G.

Two weeks and counting until hip surgery. My brother will be returning, at least for a few weeks, to help me out. The partner will be going back to his place in town, although reluctantly. Brother told me to hold off on my bathroom refurbish until he gets here. I'll finally have a hot shower inside, all winter!!! Won't have the water lines dug from the well to the house until next year, but the camp shower will work just fine, as it has all summer.

Well I sense you aren't thrilled--this is not what you had hoped for--but there are some plusses in there & having some security in knowing you have a roof over your head no matter what is not to be sneezed at. On the 5th floor however I would opt for a bird, hamster, or an indoor cat. I trust there is an elevator. I don't think Hombre and I could handle a 5 floor walk up anymore. And there's always the chance something more to your style & liking will become available.

Ye...there are elevators thankfully! The problem we are having now is, finding someone to help us move. My back is shot just from packing books. I have more stuff than I thought, but I am also hauling stuff to Goodwill too. Too much stuff. Saved boxes, that have been flattened and stored under the beds so we are ok there. Its just the heavy assed loveseat that I worry about. Its HEAVY. Well made. But dayum!! And of course the two recliners. Rest of the stuff I am not worried about too much. But we have one day to unload it all. One elevator is for people moving in/out...the shut the door inside so people can't use it, and open the backside for movers. They also have carts, dollys, etc. Which is fine, but I have to get it OUT of the truck once I cram it IN, onto those pushcarts, up the elevator, down the hall, around the bend, and INSIDE the apartment. Which is doable except for that damn love seat. I gave my twin bed to the neighbor. So just one full size bed, which is MrGs, and the loveseat, which will be my bed.
I've asked all around..even some homeless people...but nobody want to help even with the offer of 2 guys needed, 100 bucks each for 2 hours work. Nope. Not interested. So I am hoping Anne and her boyfriend can come help. We need it.

Well, I just had a major scare. Been freaking out cuz I couldn't find my 38 special...LOADED....and thought maybe I donated it accidentally with a bunch of clothes. So I called Goodwill and they said they would check their safe to see if anyone turned it in. Meanwhile, I went thru EVERY BOX and EVERY trash bag in my bedroom looking for it. FINALLY found it. In with the underwear NOT being donated. Whew! So I called them back and said I found it. I feel like 5k pounds have been lifted off me. I was so freaked out. I KNEW I had it in a drawer but didn't remember which one. Thought it wound up being donated! Not!

I loathe being old and feeble minded.

Whaaaaah ! I have been locked out of twitter. Its only supposed to be for 12 hours. But I cannot get back into it because I cannot get past a page which requires a conformation code, and it won't give me one. Twitter is my thing, and I am having with drawl symptoms already.

:banghead: Dumb... Dumb...

Why am I so dumb? My Ex is a Para-legal and she is working from home during the Beer Virus Shut-down... Everyone and their brother has always came to her for legal advice... Well an old family friend called her to make an addendum on a legal document a couple of weeks ago... Well two of the family members came by today and brought a big box of produce in appreciation of her legal expertise... One of the ladies volunteers at a large produce distributor that gives away boxes of produce a couple of times a week... Tomatoes, banana's, apple banana's, Mush melon (cantaloupe), papaya's, a lemon, a lime, and 3 kiwi's and a Pineapple... I love Mush Melon so I started cutting it up in small pieces to put in a container to put in ice box... I sliced the crap out of my booger picker on my left hand... Blood all over the place... Thankful that the ex was home to help bandage me up...

:banghead: Dumb... Dumb... Dumb...
It's a good thing I still have a booger picker on my right hand...

Whaaaaah ! I have been locked out of twitter. Its only supposed to be for 12 hours. But I cannot get back into it because I cannot get past a page which requires a conformation code, and it won't give me one. Twitter is my thing, and I am having with drawl symptoms already.
Twitter has had me as someone I'm not for a couple years. They won't let me sign in and won't close the account...

What do you mean it won't give you a code? Text? Email? Something? I get locked out until I check the box I'm not a bot or some sort now and then, but every once in awhile I get a code in my gmail to enter to get back in.

Well, I just had a major scare. Been freaking out cuz I couldn't find my 38 special...LOADED....and thought maybe I donated it accidentally with a bunch of clothes. So I called Goodwill and they said they would check their safe to see if anyone turned it in. Meanwhile, I went thru EVERY BOX and EVERY trash bag in my bedroom looking for it. FINALLY found it. In with the underwear NOT being donated. Whew! So I called them back and said I found it. I feel like 5k pounds have been lifted off me. I was so freaked out. I KNEW I had it in a drawer but didn't remember which one. Thought it wound up being donated! Not!

I loathe being old and feeble minded.

Misplacing things or putting it away and forgetting where isn't an affliction only for the old and feeble minded.

Ye...there are elevators thankfully! The problem we are having now is, finding someone to help us move. My back is shot just from packing books. I have more stuff than I thought, but I am also hauling stuff to Goodwill too. Too much stuff. Saved boxes, that have been flattened and stored under the beds so we are ok there. Its just the heavy assed loveseat that I worry about. Its HEAVY. Well made. But dayum!! And of course the two recliners. Rest of the stuff I am not worried about too much. But we have one day to unload it all. One elevator is for people moving in/out...the shut the door inside so people can't use it, and open the backside for movers. They also have carts, dollys, etc. Which is fine, but I have to get it OUT of the truck once I cram it IN, onto those pushcarts, up the elevator, down the hall, around the bend, and INSIDE the apartment. Which is doable except for that damn love seat. I gave my twin bed to the neighbor. So just one full size bed, which is MrGs, and the loveseat, which will be my bed.
I've asked all around..even some homeless people...but nobody want to help even with the offer of 2 guys needed, 100 bucks each for 2 hours work. Nope. Not interested. So I am hoping Anne and her boyfriend can come help. We need it.

Call a local moving company. We've always been able to get two guys and a truck for a reasonable amount for local moves. And all businesses seem to be hurting for business right now.

What do you mean it won't give you a code? Text? Email? Something? I get locked out until I check the box I'm not a bot or some sort now and then, but every once in awhile I get a code in my gmail to enter to get back in.
HI Foxy ! I have been locked out of my twitter account because it asks for my telephone number, and it is then supposed to call me back with a conformation code that I enter to prove its me. But they don't ring back. I have emailed twitter complaining but have yet to receive a reply.

Twitter has had me as someone I'm not for a couple years. They won't let me sign in and won't close the account...
Groan, its a pain ain't it. I have the feeling I will never get back into my account either.

HI Foxy ! I have been locked out of my twitter account because it asks for my telephone number, and it is then supposed to call me back with a conformation code that I enter to prove its me. But they don't ring back. I have emailed twitter complaining but have yet to receive a reply.

Maybe they're texting to what they believe is a mobile phone? That's how I get those codes when I need them to log in.

Forum List

Back