USMB Coffee Shop IV

upload_2020-2-16_21-33-43.png

Speaking of the classics, did anybody else grow up loving the story of Rapunzel?

gato-rapunzel.gif

The castle which is supposed to be at the heart of that legend, is not far from me.

Cool.

When I was a kid, for awhile my family lived in a two story house though the 2nd story part was just the bedroom I shared with my older sister. I had a small dog, a motherless pup that I adopted at 2 weeks old and bottle fed until he could eat and drink on his own. When we lived in that house and he needed to go out, I would lower him in a basket tied to a rope--he would jump out, do his business, jump back in and I would pull him up.

I literally grew up with that dog and he was my only dowry when I married Hombre. He died in my arms of old age about three years later.

I may be planning a trip to the US

Cool.

Have you been to the USA before Roy?
Yes, as I was on ship we called in at Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, port Everglades, SanFrancisco, Los Angeles.
On a trip in 2005 I visited Vegas, LA, Grand Canyon, Laughlin.
With my English West Country accent I found most Americans I talked to couldn’t understand me, I had to talk slower and use “outsider” English. :)

Some things you just miss. A buddy gave me about five pounds of moose liverwurst, delicious stuff but limited to what you can do with it. I finally tracked down some suitable pumpernickel bread at the Commissary and am now prepared to feast on liverwurst and raw onions on pumpernickel. I even have a suitable mustard to schmear all over it!
My crippled kids are doing well. They are alert and growing okay. They are even using their hind legs a bit more but you know frostbite hurts, a lot. Waiting is hell because the outcome of their injuries can be very dire, up to and including the loss of their feet.

Cool.

Yes, as I was on ship we called in at Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, port Everglades, SanFrancisco, Los Angeles.
With my English West Country accent I found most Americans I talked to couldn’t understand me, I had to talk slower and use “outsider” English. :)

Yes we yanks do sometimes have a few deficiencies in deciphering various dialects and sometimes require a translator to understand others who speak English. Not only from your side of the big pond but from various parts of our own country. :)

Cool.

Yes we yanks do sometimes have a few deficiencies in deciphering various dialects and sometimes require a translator to understand others who speak English. Not only from your side of the big pond but from various parts of our own country. :)

This is how I do speak like :)

Cool.

I can usually do pretty well with most US accents, except the NE coast, like Maine & NH. Then I may ask for them to repeat.

Then there was a kid I went to school with who was born here and Scottish by blood, then ended up moving over there. When he came home here for a visit, I needed an interpreter. It wasn't just his accent, but also the language/dialect

Terry lives around 32 miles away from me, my accent is next to similar, if I go out drinking at a pub with similar accents I’ll adapt and be yokelised, I do try to reign in the slang when talking, me at full pelt West Country might be totally baffling to yanks. :)

Forum List

Back