USMB Coffee Shop IV

Last night I started binge watching Lillehammer...and made it to Season 2. That's a good sign, lol. It caught my interest. Funny little mob story without too much gore.

Today...I have to take the van in for oil filter and oil change. Then I will come back and binge some more. Its all rainy outside so why not? :)

I have a Job interview Monday. So we'll see what happens.

Job hunting is one of the most frustrating and sometimes exhausting activities there is. So hang in there Drifter and don't become discouraged.

While I haven't had to experience this exercise in quite a few years, I often found it very degrading and humiliating... I really think that the job hunting today is far more advanced with submitting resumes online...

Of course the cold string is continuing. It's January in the upper Ohio River valley. It did climb to 20 degrees today so that meant one lap around Thompson Park with Daisy the Mutt. She hasn't been there since Christmas and eagerly frolicked around interrupting me only twice for one of the treats in my parka pocket. We saw one of her many friends there. A big black and white hound dog named Elvis. Elvis sounds the alarm with great canine waps and howls. He can be heard a half mile away. But he is currently 35 pounds over weight and his owner discourages me from giving him a treat when we meet up. Elvis is disappointed.

I've been suffering through a bout of insomnia lately. I find it uncomfortable in my bed, any sleeping posture just does not feel relaxing. So I get up and pour a bowl of shredded wheat, turn on the TV and tune into one of the cable news channels. I can sit with my eyes closed as there is nothing on the screen but talking heads. I can doze there until I find myself sleepy enough to go back into my bedroom. And that brings us to 3:30 am.

Meanwhile Daisy has taken pride of place in the bed laying just about in the exact center of the mattress. I pick her up, shuffle her to the left side and crash into the pillows until 8:30 am. That's about an hour and a half later than I usually awake. About 2:00 pm, given our current weather, I find myself needing a little power nap for forty five minutes or so. I want to break this pattern.

My prescription is two extra strength acetaminophen (Tylenol) plus one naproxen (Aleve) 20 minutes or so before you retire. Sure makes a difference for us without any drug hangover or risk of addiction.

I just realized I misspoke in this post: That should be two extra strength acetaminophen (Tylenol) PM plus one naproxen (Aleve). The PM part is actually just a low dose of benadryl but it does prompt mild sleepiness in most people.
Why don't I just take some benedryl? Or better yet, a wee dram of single malt instead?

Actually, I would prefer a non chemical solution. Last night I was asleep by 1:00am and up and at 'me at 6:30. Maybe it was the afternoon walk in the fidgid air that did it.

This evening my brother and I have to get gussied up and visit the funeral home. Our old scoutmaster died Tuesday. We'll pay our respects and visit then go to dinner. Tomorrow it won't get above 5 degrees above zero. But it will be our weekly game night.

I'm thinking about getting one of these:

Home

Job hunting is one of the most frustrating and sometimes exhausting activities there is. So hang in there Drifter and don't become discouraged.

While I haven't had to experience this exercise in quite a few years, I often found it very degrading and humiliating... I really think that the job hunting today is far more advanced with submitting resumes online...

Yes, you can get cyber declined in the most unusual ways.

Yes, you can get cyber declined in the most unusual ways.

I'll be finding out all about that in about a year. :p

I still remember when my son became unemployed for the first time in his life due to a corporate buyout and shakeup, he put out his impressive resume on the internet and took his family on a week's vacation. Upon return he expected to find his mailbox stuffed with responses. Nothing. Nada. Zip. And as I recall that he put it, he said "shit!" Just about the time he had reached full panic mode he got an offer at an attractive salary, great benefits, they would move him to the new location, and if he had trouble selling his home, they would buy it at market value. He has been with that company ever since and expects to retire with them. I have always said there is the right life partner out there for everybody who wants one, and there is the right job out there for everybody who wants one. The fortunate find those right ones.

Of course the cold string is continuing. It's January in the upper Ohio River valley. It did climb to 20 degrees today so that meant one lap around Thompson Park with Daisy the Mutt. She hasn't been there since Christmas and eagerly frolicked around interrupting me only twice for one of the treats in my parka pocket. We saw one of her many friends there. A big black and white hound dog named Elvis. Elvis sounds the alarm with great canine waps and howls. He can be heard a half mile away. But he is currently 35 pounds over weight and his owner discourages me from giving him a treat when we meet up. Elvis is disappointed.

I've been suffering through a bout of insomnia lately. I find it uncomfortable in my bed, any sleeping posture just does not feel relaxing. So I get up and pour a bowl of shredded wheat, turn on the TV and tune into one of the cable news channels. I can sit with my eyes closed as there is nothing on the screen but talking heads. I can doze there until I find myself sleepy enough to go back into my bedroom. And that brings us to 3:30 am.

Meanwhile Daisy has taken pride of place in the bed laying just about in the exact center of the mattress. I pick her up, shuffle her to the left side and crash into the pillows until 8:30 am. That's about an hour and a half later than I usually awake. About 2:00 pm, given our current weather, I find myself needing a little power nap for forty five minutes or so. I want to break this pattern.

My prescription is two extra strength acetaminophen (Tylenol) plus one naproxen (Aleve) 20 minutes or so before you retire. Sure makes a difference for us without any drug hangover or risk of addiction.

I just realized I misspoke in this post: That should be two extra strength acetaminophen (Tylenol) PM plus one naproxen (Aleve). The PM part is actually just a low dose of benadryl but it does prompt mild sleepiness in most people.
Why don't I just take some benedryl? Or better yet, a wee dram of single malt instead?

Actually, I would prefer a non chemical solution. Last night I was asleep by 1:00am and up and at 'me at 6:30. Maybe it was the afternoon walk in the fidgid air that did it.

This evening my brother and I have to get gussied up and visit the funeral home. Our old scoutmaster died Tuesday. We'll pay our respects and visit then go to dinner. Tomorrow it won't get above 5 degrees above zero. But it will be our weekly game night.

I'm thinking about getting one of these:

Home

Hombre did generally take just the benedryl but was having more trouble sleeping in recent times. At a certain age, most of us have aches and pains that we are so used to, we don't really notice. But they can interfere with our sleep. So a fairly gentle pain med like Tylenol coupled with the benadryl allows us to fully relax and be comfortable in bed. Since Hombre and I both have some pain issues that some of you don't have, the extra naproxen extends the process so that we can almost always get six good hours of uninterrupted sleep, sometimes more. Everybody should be sure not to exceed the daily limit for the Tylenol though as it can damage the liver if high doses are taken. Those nighttime pills are the only pain meds we take of any kind.

Basically it just comes down to what works for anybody, and if I didn't need to take any meds I wouldn't. Melatonin, available at most pharmacies, also works for a lot of folks and it is a natural substance.

Last edited:
I went down to Dawson's Funeral Home this evening to visit with the family of my old Scoutmaster. To no one's surprise there were a lot of middle aged Boy Scouts from Troop 12 there. But to our amazement there were photographs now yellowing with age of our Scouting adventures.

We reminisced about camping and hiking trips, and given our current fridgid weather, our Polar Bear camps in particular. Every winter between 1966 and 1973 our intrepid troop, along with other troops from southern Columbiana County, would take a weekend in January and spend it camping at Camp McKinley near the county seat in Lisbon.

At that time the camp consisted of nothing more than wooded hills and a big stone house built in the early 19th century. We would bundle up our WWII Army surplus canvass tents, fill them with bales of straw and settle in for sleeping in sub freezing temperatures. Our scoutmaster had cobbled together sledges from 2x6s and other lumber upon which we piled food, water and fuel for the Friday night through Sunday afternoon excursion. These sledges were dreadfully heavy to pull, but boys don't mind putting their shoulders into an effort the way grown men do. In spite of, or because of the cold conditions, we had fun.

The highlight of the Polar Bear camp was the Klondike Derby during which troops competed by pulling crude Ohio built 'dog sleds' around a course running from the frozen lake, up and down the adjacent hills and finishing at the old Stone House where hot chocolate was served. Six or eight boys pulled the sleds with a Scoutmaster riding and urging us to "mush, you huskies!" like some character from a Jack London story. One of our beloved Scoutmasters will be buried tomorrow.

All these aging Boy Scouts turned the conversation from retirement planning and our pharmaceutical regimines to tales of youth and fun down at the funeral home tonight. We eroded our age fifty years and became boys once more. And a finer tribute to a fine man could not have been made.

Aside from our fathers, our scoutmasters formed us in ways unimaginable to us then. We learned the virtues of being prepared and doing a good deed daily from these men. It troubles me to hear stories of political changes in the Scouting community. I assure you that politics was not on our minds even in those troubled years when we were boys. Sure we were aware of our times, but we did not let our concerns and questions, which were many and seemingly dire at that time, to sully our experiences as just kids having what we now recognize as the times of our lives.

Last edited:
I take a benadryl around 4am. I go to bed around 1 or 2am and always wake up. Pop a benadryl...I sleep for at least 6 hours straight now. Been doing this for about a week. Blessed sleep. Finally.

Meanwhile, I took the plunge today. I whacked my hair. It is now down to where it used to be before I cut it so short thinking I would lose it with chemo. But, I declined chemo, so there I was...a butch hair cut for no reason. :(

Anyway..I left the length (almost to my waist now) but layered it myself. I must say it looks pretty damn good, lol.

Extra prayers, positive thoughts, strengthening vibes sent across the miles to ricechickie tonight with assurance that all is going well for her.

And special thoughts for those in the eye of the northeast storm tonight.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Saveliberty for positive resolution for difficult transition,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter in difficult transition,
ricechickie for impending surgery,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, Esthermoon, Sixfoot, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

54c67cdff026e0d339fb8275_cars-winter-blizzard.jpg

We got probably about 15 inches of snow dumped on us. Everything is going to turn to ice because it is SO frigid. Blech! I hate winter.

Friday 7:00 AM
Mostly Cloudy
partly_cloudy.png

°F | °C
Precipitation: 0%
Humidity: 60%
Wind: 17 mph
Temperature
Precipitation
Wind

Fri
cloudy.png

14°
-1°

Sat
partly_cloudy.png

-9°

Sun
partly_cloudy.png

14°

Actually it does sound pretty dreadful. The snow I wouldn't mind but those temperatures. There's just no way to make that fun.

I take a benadryl around 4am. I go to bed around 1 or 2am and always wake up. Pop a benadryl...I sleep for at least 6 hours straight now. Been doing this for about a week. Blessed sleep. Finally.

Meanwhile, I took the plunge today. I whacked my hair. It is now down to where it used to be before I cut it so short thinking I would lose it with chemo. But, I declined chemo, so there I was...a butch hair cut for no reason. :(

Anyway..I left the length (almost to my waist now) but layered it myself. I must say it looks pretty damn good, lol.

Did the doctor say you need chemo?

Did the doctor say you need chemo?
Yes. I still declined.

Forum List

Back