Zone1 Used car and truck market.

otto105

This is where you take transport co2 output, of that figure, take the co2 produced by cars, vans, lorries, buses. Then take 17% to 30% of that as a possible saving.

I saw this a year or two ago on a forum analysed out, and the figure ain't big. So the conclusion was, all this upheaval and inconvenience for a small saving, the alarmists came galloping in screaming, "It's a start".
Heard a couple of years ago at an un-named forum?

Hilarious

https://www.recurrentauto.com/research/just-how-dirty-is-your-ev

Are we being gouged these days in the used car and truck market place ?

It seems to me that we are or maybe I have just fallen behind the times. A 1995 Chevy pick up for $8,500 dollars ? To me that was just too high for a 1995.

What say you all ? Do you think in a lot of ways that you are being gouged when attempting to purchase a used vehicle these days ???
I’m of the opinion that gouging doesn’t exist outside of a monopoly on anything you need to survive. In the used car market, the only person who can gouge you is yourself.

This lists the figures, it's actually 17% to 30%. The report I read a few years, explained the breakdown. If I find the EU Report, I will supply the link.

They looked at the carbon footprint of making the vehicles, running and servicing the vehicles, and scrapping them over their lifetime. It stated the battery size gave rise to the 17% to 30% range. Then they tried to beef the figures up in more favour of the EV's by stating the charging figures included fossil fuel made electric.

But, EV's cost quite a bit more in co2 to manufacture due to the raw materials to make the batteries, that's built into the figures.

Emissions are usually higher in the production phase of electric cars, but these are more than offset by lower emissions in the use phase over time.

That's ^^ the part where it says, "Over time", but what time. More co2 to produce, more co2 to scrap, the saving is in the middle. How long does the middle need to be to get the co2 saving. With insurance companies quick to scrap them, EV's are not really a bed of roses.

Edit - in the link, there's a link to the PDF report

That article is from 2018. It’s dated information.

It does nothing to mitigate the fact that lifetime CO2 emissions of ICE vehicles are more that 2-3x that of EVs.

If I buy an EV today and charge using solar my carbon payback is just 6-7 months.

I found a 2019 ford F 150 with an 8 ft bed and a 8cly engine... under 18,000 miles on the odometer... and in perfect condition with a full bed liner....
$24,000
I'm going to use it to haul stuff to the dump or pick up firewood and whatever I need an open bed truck for...

that's the new paint job you were bragging about ..
Actually, new paint job, just like the old paint job, just shinier, the hood like new and the top back to normal from where kayaks and canoes have been slid up on the rack for years.
1712533891974.jpeg

I’m of the opinion that gouging doesn’t exist outside of a monopoly on anything you need to survive. In the used car market, the only person who can gouge you is yourself.
Interesting, so keep driving a clunker until you can somehow save up enough money to satisfy the gouger's eh ? I know, I know, but one can always shop around for another junk that will match the junk one already had, and for an affordable price within the tight budget range right ?

Where the problem comes in however, is with this trend setting or controlled price setting business or within this grouping certain ones together in order to control or corner the market by leveling high prices equally in order to be within pennies of each other although the prices are ridiculously high all due to.. Otherwise the trap is set, sprung, and there's not much anyone can do if they don't know somebody.

Familiarize yourself with your state's sales rules and buy from an individual rather than a dealer. If you don't know anything about cars, like how to spot flood damage or rust problems on older vehicles you might be better off paying through the nose via a dealer for some slight lemon law protections in some states. I never buy through a dealer, the markups are ridiculous, and many of the used car dealers are in the loansharking business, not selling cars.

In the good old days you could buy a 40/50/60’s car/truck for 50 bucks, get it running, beat the shit out of it on rough terrain and finish with pushing it over a cliff.

Sheesh .. if Only I’d bought a few acres and parked them instead… 😕 … oh well .. it was fun!
Yep...never paid more than a grand for anything until lately.

Paid $2500 for an '85 Scottsdale 4x4 during covid and felt like we stole it.

Then $1100 for a '71 F100.

Bought a Beetle pre-covid for $600, a '77 F150 for $200 and an '89 XLT that I've been driving for 20 years for $900.

But...those days are over I think.

Luckily I have plenty to work on and we chose vehicles that we believe they'll make parts for for another 25 years.

Yep...never paid more than a grand for anything until lately.

Paid $2500 for an '85 Scottsdale 4x4 during covid and felt like we stole it.

Then $1100 for a '71 F100.

Bought a Beetle pre-covid for $600, a '77 F150 for $200 and an '89 XLT that I've been driving for 20 years for $900.

But...those days are over I think.

Luckily I have plenty to work on and we chose vehicles that we believe they'll make parts for for another 25 years.
Bet your front yard looks like a salvage yard.

Bought a Beetle pre-covid for $600,

I've been seeing vintage Beetles around here lately, including a 1962 convertible. Loved the whole concept of cars from a several year production having interchangeable parts. Also liked not having to screw with radiators, water pumps, and thermostats going bad.

True, true, but let me ask ya this then - Didn't that powerstroke have some kind of huge issue with the heads, and so the owners were having to go into the motors to "bullet proof" them was the term being used ? I saw a lot of those truck's recently at the equipment auction. They were good looking truck's, but the diesel engines were the issue with them is what I was hearing.

The interior in the 95 chevy's were a major problem because of sun damage to the plastic dashboards and malfunctioning door handles that broke easily due to being plastic etc. The AC evaporator is under the dash buried, and the entire dash has to come out to replace it. That's when plastic gets broken, and pieces start flying.. lol...... The Vortec motors are bullet proof, otherwise they run forever it seems. Mine has a V-6 Vortec in it. Thanks for your input. 👍

The truck my family member purchased is absolutely in excellent condition inside and out, so even with the high mileage she hopefully did ok with the purchase of the 1995. Bluebook value was something like $5,000 in excellent condition if I remember right.

No the 7.3 powerstrokes were fantastic engines. Many many articles and websites have named it the best engine Ford ever put in a truck.

Several different engines have been sold in Ford trucks under the "powerstroke" banner. They are not all the same, or even made by the same company. Their was very little to do to "bulletproof" a 7.3. A few companies sold a few aftermarket parts but they were not needed. It came from the factory already reliable and functional. In fact, many say that the best way to keep the 7.3 reliable is to ONLY use OEM parts as aftermarket parts were hit-and-miss. They had no emissions systems on them, so they were basic pure diesel engines. Nothing fancy, nothing complicated.

You're thinking of the 6.0, the engine that replaced the 7.3. It was CRAP and required MAJOR BULLETPROOFING to be "kinda" reliable. The 7.3 was made by International Navistar. It's a beast. Not super powerful, but super reliable and easy to work on. The 6.0 started being offered in 2003, when both engines were available, then in 2004 it was the only diesel engine available. It was so bad it was removed after a couple of years and they went to a 6.4 which was bad in its own right. Then the finally put the 6.7 in them in 2011, which they still have today.

Last edited:
Depends on condition, mileage, damage history, etc. One in great condition and low miles, sure that might be worth $8500. It's a good truck. They built them better in 95 than in 2022 for sure.

I have 2001 Ford F250 with the coveted 7.3 Powerstroke. That truck is worth a ton of money, even with high mileage because it's in such good shape and everything works (although the cruise can be a PITA sometimes). Even the key fob still works. I bought it used in 2015 for 6 thousand. It could easily go for 3 times that now. It actually came with a huge bed cover I took off because I couldn't see the boat when we were backing it in to go fishing. It was blocking the view out the back.
When I had my 07 F-150 I would drop the tonneau cover into the bed when backing my boat down the ramp. Problem solved. The truck was another story, the biggest pos I ever owned.

When I had my 07 F-150 I would drop the tonneau cover into the bed when backing my boat down the ramp. Problem solved. The truck was another story, the biggest pos I ever owned.

Yes. 07 was a bad bad year for the F series. They were still stuck with the 6.0 in the bigger trucks, which was a POS engine and then their gas trucks had tons of reliability issues. 05-10 are not good years for F series trucks. 04 was ok for the smaller trucks, REALLY BAD for the 250 and 350 with the first year of the POS 6.0.

The also began having issues with these "Ecoboost" engines. Who in their right mind would put a 4 cylinder engine in a full size truck? That is WAY too much truck for that engine and sticking a turbo on it just ensures that engine life is counted in the tens of thousands of miles. Your best bet, if you want an F150 now, is the Coyote V-8. Straight V-8, old school, even has pushrods. That shit worked for a long time, and works just fine today. But a turbo 4 banger in a F-150? Fuck that.

I've been seeing vintage Beetles around here lately, including a 1962 convertible. Loved the whole concept of cars from a several year production having interchangeable parts. Also liked not having to screw with radiators, water pumps, and thermostats going bad.
Believe it or not, type 1 Beetles were produced until 2003.

They are retrofitting type 1s with an electric motor.

Forum List

Back