Zone1 Used car and truck market.

Believe it or not, type 1 Beetles were produced until 2003.

They are retrofitting type 1s with an electric motor.

Only in Mexico. Not available in the US past 79 due to emissions.

I'm a beetle expert. My dad owns 3 and we spent 4 years restoring his '65 that he bought back in like 1980 as a go-to-work cheap car. It sat in the woods for 25 years. We had to drag it out with a tractor with someone (that would be me) holding in the clutch because it was stuck in gear. We did a light rebuild on the engine and he basically put all new electrical components in it. Had it repainted inside and out, and redid the interior himself. He was real funny to put back ONLY factory accurate parts. Meaning, the correct bumpers, the correct wheels and tires, the correct numbers matching engine is still in it. He actually left it 6 volts and did not do the popular upgrade to 12 volts. Why? Because it didn't come that way from the factory. It was a 6 volt car.

He has that '65, a '72 and a '77 convertible.

Last edited:
Yes. 07 was a bad bad year for the F series. They were still stuck with the 6.0 in the bigger trucks, which was a POS engine and then their gas trucks had tons of reliability issues. 05-10 are not good years for F series trucks. 04 was ok for the smaller trucks, REALLY BAD for the 250 and 350 with the first year of the POS 6.0.

The also began having issues with these "Ecoboost" engines. Who in their right mind would put a 4 cylinder engine in a full size truck? That is WAY too much truck for that engine and sticking a turbo on it just ensures that engine life is counted in the tens of thousands of miles. Your best bet, if you want an F150 now, is the Coyote V-8. Straight V-8, old school, even has pushrods. That shit worked for a long time, and works just fine today. But a turbo 4 banger in a F-150? Fuck that.
I was driving it one day & it just up & quit. Had it towed to a Ford dealer. Ford, the cheap basta**s bolted if I remember correctly a part for the fuel system (I cant't remember what it was) directly onto the frame without even a gasket. Of course it would rust out & eventually fail. The shop told me I was lucky because the part is usually on back order & they just happened to have one on the shelf. Another time the plastic intake manifold cracked & fouled the plugs with antifreeze even though the truck only had 60,000 miles on it & I never overheated the engine. When I asked the service manager why that happened he told me it's a known issue on those engines because it's another example of "Ford's shitty engineering". When I finally had enough I traded it in & got $2000 for it because of body rust. The thing would rust just by someone looking at it. That was my first & last Ford pickup.

Interesting, so keep driving a clunker until you can somehow save up enough money to satisfy the gouger's eh ? I know, I know, but one can always shop around for another junk that will match the junk one already had, and for an affordable price within the tight budget range right ?
Finding deals has certainly gotten tougher in these inflationary times. Personally, I only buy used from private sellers. A wad of cash is often enough, even if it's less than what they're asking. I bought a fine Lexus a few years ago for $4K. You just have to be prepared for when the deals show up.

Yep...never paid more than a grand for anything until lately.

Paid $2500 for an '85 Scottsdale 4x4 during covid and felt like we stole it.

Then $1100 for a '71 F100.

Bought a Beetle pre-covid for $600, a '77 F150 for $200 and an '89 XLT that I've been driving for 20 years for $900.

But...those days are over I think.

Luckily I have plenty to work on and we chose vehicles that we believe they'll make parts for for another 25 years.
I did auto machining/welding/crankshaft grinding for a time but my days of knuckle busting are over. I can’t say I was much of a mechanic, just enough to keep them running.

Only in Mexico. Not available in the US past 79 due to emissions.

I'm a beetle expert. My dad owns 3 and we spent 4 years restoring his '65 that he bought back in like 1980 as a go-to-work cheap car. It sat in the woods for 25 years. We had to drag it out with a tractor with someone (that would be me) holding in the clutch because it was stuck in gear. We did a light rebuild on the engine and he basically put all new electrical components in it. Had it repainted inside and out, and redid the interior himself. He was real funny to put back ONLY factory accurate parts. Meaning, the correct bumpers, the correct wheels and tires, the correct numbers matching engine is still in it. He actually left it 6 volts and did not do the popular upgrade to 12 volts. Why? Because it didn't come that way from the factory. It was a 6 volt car.

He has that '65, a '72 and a '77 convertible.

Ever done any CNG conversions?

Ever done any CNG conversions?

No, I have no experience with that.

That article is from 2018. It’s dated information.

It does nothing to mitigate the fact that lifetime CO2 emissions of ICE vehicles are more that 2-3x that of EVs.

If I buy an EV today and charge using solar my carbon payback is just 6-7 months.
Excellent, well done.

Heard a couple of years ago at an un-named forum?

Hilarious

Carbon Footprint Face-Off: A Full Picture of EVs vs. Gas Cars
I don't name forums here.

Find the co2 for transport. Find the percentage relevant for EV's. Take 17% to 30% of that. Bingo.

In fact, look on this site, I gave a link to Crick showing the co2 for transport and more breakdown of that.

If you can be bothered to work it out, then you will find out how minimal the co2 saving is.

Anyone arguing for EV's for co2 reduction would already know these figures to back their claim on how much co2 the idea is saving.

otto105

So transport accounts for 1/5th of global co2 emissions, and 3/4 of that is road transport. Of that 3/4, cars and buses account for 46.1% and trucks 29.4% of that 3/4.

Then, EV's will save 17% to 20% of that 46.1% of the 3/4's of 1/5th of the global co2 emissions.

Then to make the co2 saving lower, third world countries ain't gonna drive around in Tesla's, so you're banking on idiotic developed countries to screw their people over. And even then, the true saving is not there because some EV's will get written off before any co2 breakeven point.

But like I said, EVangelists know all this.

I don't name forums here.

Find the co2 for transport. Find the percentage relevant for EV's. Take 17% to 30% of that. Bingo.

In fact, look on this site, I gave a link to Crick showing the co2 for transport and more breakdown of that.

If you can be bothered to work it out, then you will find out how minimal the co2 saving is.

Anyone arguing for EV's for co2 reduction would already know these figures to back their claim on how much co2 the idea is saving.

Switching to natural gas will save another 17%-20%. The cost for the equivalent of some $55 in gasoline would cost $13 and change to boot. Well, here in the southwest US it would; not sure about the natural gas production at the Brent wells. Norway uses a lot, but then they use a lot more hydro power than most countries,

otto105

So transport accounts for 1/5th of global co2 emissions, and 3/4 of that is road transport. Of that 3/4, cars and buses account for 46.1% and trucks 29.4% of that 3/4.

Then, EV's will save 17% to 20% of that 46.1% of the 3/4's of 1/5th of the global co2 emissions.

Then to make the co2 saving lower, third world countries ain't gonna drive around in Tesla's, so you're banking on idiotic developed countries to screw their people over. And even then, the true saving is not there because some EV's will get written off before any co2 breakeven point.

But like I said, EVangelists know all this.
Dude, post an actual source of this assertion. Your article is from 2018 and that information is dated.

Electric Vehicles (EVs):

Familiarize yourself with your state's sales rules and buy from an individual rather than a dealer. If you don't know anything about cars, like how to spot flood damage or rust problems on older vehicles you might be better off paying through the nose via a dealer for some slight lemon law protections in some states. I never buy through a dealer, the markups are ridiculous, and many of the used car dealers are in the loansharking business, not selling cars.
I've got an eye for spotting privately owned vehicles forsale, and then walking away with some sweet deals that served me without regret over the year's. Most were owned by the elderly with low miles, and unhurt. I've purchased one new car in my life time, and it was a lemon. Never done that again. Dropped thousands in value as it became used once we drove out of the lot with it, then we were looking at payments and year's of let downs due to this lemon... It's why the foreign car market stomped the chit out of the American market. They filled the gap where American manufacturers decided in board rooms just how to build cheap pieces of chit, and then use sofisticated marketing strategies in hopes to ensnare us into their crooked greedy games being played.

Last edited:
Yes. 07 was a bad bad year for the F series. They were still stuck with the 6.0 in the bigger trucks, which was a POS engine and then their gas trucks had tons of reliability issues. 05-10 are not good years for F series trucks. 04 was ok for the smaller trucks, REALLY BAD for the 250 and 350 with the first year of the POS 6.0.

The also began having issues with these "Ecoboost" engines. Who in their right mind would put a 4 cylinder engine in a full size truck? That is WAY too much truck for that engine and sticking a turbo on it just ensures that engine life is counted in the tens of thousands of miles. Your best bet, if you want an F150 now, is the Coyote V-8. Straight V-8, old school, even has pushrods. That shit worked for a long time, and works just fine today. But a turbo 4 banger in a F-150? Fuck that.
These Eco engine set ups have virtually destroyed a lot of camshaft system's in these ECO engines, otherwise the ones that go from 8 cylinder to 4 cylinder engines and back again at red light's and such. The Hemi with the Hemi-tick is just one example of a bad engine that began self-destructing on it's own.

You advocate EV's so you know you're saving co2, so what are those numbers?

A car is a car, if you think EV's are better, show your evidence. You expect me to work out your evidence? That's bizarre.

Are we being gouged these days in the used car and truck market place ?
Yes. But not quite as badly as the seller's market from a few years ago, but, it still lingers and it's pretty difficult to find good deals on used cars these days without a ton of effort and research. A few years ago, chip supply shortages held up a lot of new vehicle deliveries for around a year (an eternity), inflating the used car market to ridiculous levels. Dealers had '20 model year vehicles prices selling for up to 5k, sometimes 10k over their '21 counterparts just because consumers couldn't get them.

This crisis somewhat averted now, the market is starting to level back out, but you're still seeing residual 'I know what I got' used pricing, and the new car market is trending back into full swing to where absolute morons are paying 40k over MSRP for a freaking Mustang. :dunno:

lol ! a kayak ! :auiqs.jpg:and with hippie coloring ! :gay:
Gee. I wish I would have been able to find a Yak, of conservative color for you, but not too many out there and (not a prime consideration), that are also rated for Class IV+ rivers, yet able or comfortable and with storage capacity with movable bulkhead for overnight Class I, II, and III+ trips. That is a Jackson Traverse. I wanted something that would stand up and be controllable in Class III and IV. You will not find me in class V flows and drops unless I screw up, not aware of weather upstream, as Class II/III can easily turn into class IV/V+, quickly even if no rain present where you are whitewater kayaking, as these are (for the most part) mountainous canyon streams, quickly dumping a low of rain into deeper canyon streams. At almost 70 and with my experience, I don't screw up much, knowing flow (cfs), gauge height and weather in the watershed before leaving, but wearing the skirt and not overloaded or loaded incorrectly it does well in those flows, easily bracing, able to roll, turns on a dime, light enough to portage if a particular drop looks more challenging than I want to attempt. Having broken two open boat canoes (one rate for white water), discretion is the better part of valor and common sense. At the same time it works for overnight longer trips on class II & III, and is comfortable for day use, on class I & II or open coastal ocean kayaking, with a movable drop skag to maintain straighter, easier paddling, when ability to make radical turns is not necessary.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back