US Might free Jonathan Pollard

The United States is talking with Israel about the possibility of releasing convicted spy Jonathan Pollard early from his life sentence as an incentive in the troubled Mideast peace negotiations, a person familiar with the situation said Monday. Such an extraordinary step would show the urgency of U.S. efforts to keep negotiations alive.

The person cautioned that a Pollard release — which would be a dramatic turnaround from previous refusals — was far from certain and that discussions with Israel on the matter were continuing. The person spoke only on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the negotiations on the record.

Read more: U.S. talks with Israel on release of spy Jonathan Pollard - Associated Press - POLITICO.com

I'm all for this. Not a fan of Israel in general, but Pollard got an excessive sentence for spying for an allied country.

Is it? You might be right.

Do you have examples of other spies from "allied" nations who got softer sentences for the same degree of betrayal?

For the most part they don't get sentences, they get sent back to their country. That includes enemy countries as well.

It's a travesty that Pollard got any prison much time, much less that he is still in a max prison after 30 years.

The United States is talking with Israel about the possibility of releasing convicted spy Jonathan Pollard early from his life sentence as an incentive in the troubled Mideast peace negotiations, a person familiar with the situation said Monday. Such an extraordinary step would show the urgency of U.S. efforts to keep negotiations alive.

The person cautioned that a Pollard release — which would be a dramatic turnaround from previous refusals — was far from certain and that discussions with Israel on the matter were continuing. The person spoke only on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the negotiations on the record.

Read more: U.S. talks with Israel on release of spy Jonathan Pollard - Associated Press - POLITICO.com

I'm all for this. Not a fan of Israel in general, but Pollard got an excessive sentence for spying for an allied country.

Horrible idea.
Let him out after he assumes room temperature.

He's a traitor.

But we should give him back to israel, in a fucking urn.

This trading of criminals never brings peace, everyone know this won't work, so don't bother.

Northern Ireland juest called, they said you're wrong.

I don't recall giving a traitor back to Northern Ireland.

So go fuck yourself.

No, but part of the peace process in Northern Ireland was to stop talking shit about "Terrorism" and work out a political arrangement that released those convicted of acts of violence.

Horrible idea.

Can't agree. I don't think he did anything that bad.

He gave the Israelis intelligence that the US had promised to share and didn't.

He didn't give away the weaknesses of our weapons systems or the identities of American agents in the region. He gave away what we knew about Saddam and his military build up in the days when Reagan mistakenly thought Saddam was our buddy.

Horrible idea.

Can't agree. I don't think he did anything that bad.

He didn't give away the weaknesses of our weapons systems or the identities of American agents in the region. He gave away what we knew about Saddam and his military build up in the days when Reagan mistakenly thought Saddam was our buddy.

I don't think he did anything that bad.

Luckily, you don't get to make that decision.

That decision wasn't his to make.

He gave away what we knew about Saddam and his military build up

He did more than that. He should die in prison.

I can think of a better swap. We will release Pollard to Israel if Russia turns over Snowden to the US Government.

Why would Russia trade a traitor that is helping them for a traitor that helped Israel?

The logic for my suggestion is this:
The Palestinans continued participation in negotiations with Israel is conditional on Israel releasing Palestinians held in Israeli prisons.
Israel releasing these prisoners appears to be linked to the US releasing Pollard.
If the USA made releasing Pollard conditional on Russia turning over Snowden, and Russia complied, Russia would in effect get the credit for restarting the Israeli Palestinian negotiations. That would be a big propaganda victory for Russia, at a time when its annexing of the Crimea has damaged its international status.

So here's the deal, Obama releases Pollard. Israel releases 400 more terrorists, and gives away half the country to the Arabs. Which would in turn mean the eventual destruction of Israel..... Yeah great deal in Obama utopia world ..fuck that

Demographics probably doom Israel, anyway.

The real question is, what do the Zionists do in an Israel/Palestine where Muslims are the majority.

Do they become South Africa, or do they become Rhodesia/Zimbabwe?

Is there any real difference between the two countries, they arte both lawless nations.

As for the Jews they have two chances they can die horribly at the hands of muslims monsters or they can die fighting the muslim monsters and taking as many as they can with them.

The real question is, what do the Zionists do in an Israel/Palestine where Muslims are the majority.

There is no reason that a majority Muslim Israel is inevitable. In fact, I'd say the chances of a Muslim-free Israel is even greater. :D

Anybody with half a brain knows that, of course, you don't measure up jackass.

The current demographics are 2 billion muslims that hate Jews and 12 million Jews. How will that change significantly enough to affect the Jews. The demographics will never alter any outcome as the Jews are superior in weapons technology, cannon fodder is not going to win the upcoming war.

So here's the deal, Obama releases Pollard. Israel releases 400 more terrorists, and gives away half the country to the Arabs. Which would in turn mean the eventual destruction of Israel..... Yeah great deal in Obama utopia world ..fuck that

Many Jews support the creation of a Palestine state.

Is there any real difference between the two countries, they arte both lawless nations.

As for the Jews they have two chances they can die horribly at the hands of muslims monsters or they can die fighting the muslim monsters and taking as many as they can with them.

Or they can go back to Europe where they came from. That would work, too.

(Waiting for a whiny response that involves the word "Hitler".)

There is no reason that a majority Muslim Israel is inevitable. In fact, I'd say the chances of a Muslim-free Israel is even greater. :D

Not really.

There are 6 million Jews in Israel. There are 1 million Arabs in the original borders and another 5 million in the 'Occuppied Territories'. Oh, is it okay to still called them the 'occuppied territories', because SHeldon Adelson took CHris Christie to the woodshed for calling them that.

There are an additional 2 million Palestinians living in the countries surrounding Israel. This is why the whole "Right to return" is a big deal.

The Palestinians, like most third world people, have a high birth rate. The Zionists, like most industrialized people, have a low birthrate.

People aren't immigrating to Israel in great numbers anymore. And AMerican Jews, up to this point, the biggest supporters of Israel, are increasingly embarrassed by its behavior.

Not to worry, the Zionists have found new patrons. Fundimentalist Christians waiting for Jesus to come back.

A two-State solution would probably be the best solution, in the short term. In the long term, a lot of these Young Israelis are going to say to themselves, "I understand why Nana fled here in the 1940's, but Hitler's been dead a long time now, and these people want to KILL US!!!"

well, i am a fan of israel. (you would be too if you were being fair). but jonathan pollard got a sentence far disproportionate to anyone else convicted of similar acts. time for him to go home.

Or they can go back to Europe where they came from. That would work, too.

(Waiting for a whiny response that involves the word "Hitler".)

How about a response that shows yours was whiny as the Jews have more right to be there under International Law that the arab muslims do. The Jews have the DNA marker that places them squarely in the land they originated from. the muslims DNA shows they come from Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Saudi and many other Islamic nations within living memory.
Also the LoN remit for the Mandate compelled Britain to allow the migration of displaced Jews to the land of Palestine as it was destined to be their NATIONAL HOME.

I leave the reference to Hitler and the holocaust to whiny whingey neomarxists like yourself who invoke Goodwins law all the time.

well, i am a fan of israel. (you would be too if you were being fair). but jonathan pollard got a sentence far disproportionate to anyone else convicted of similar acts. time for him to go home.

Israel is like an abused child that has gotten big enough to beat on someone else.

I think I'm being reasonably fair. I remember when I was a college conservative, and i had to listen to some liberal Jewish kid in the 1980's going on and on about Apartheid South Africa and how wrong that was.

Then I hit him with, "And how is that different from what the Israelis are doing to the Palestinians?"

Dead silence.

Now at the time, my position was that we were in this World Wide struggle with evil Communism, and we had to throw in with certain people to win. That's not my position now.

You can't call yourself a "Democracy" when you regulate the indiginous people of the land to second-class citizenship.

By the way, I don't have an easy solution. I don't see Israel becoming South Africa, where everyone sat down with reconciliation councils There is no Palestinian Mandela. This will all end badly.

[

How about a response that shows yours was whiny as the Jews have more right to be there under International Law that the arab muslims do. The Jews have the DNA marker that places them squarely in the land they originated from. the muslims DNA shows they come from Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Saudi and many other Islamic nations within living memory.
Also the LoN remit for the Mandate compelled Britain to allow the migration of displaced Jews to the land of Palestine as it was destined to be their NATIONAL HOME.

I leave the reference to Hitler and the holocaust to whiny whingey neomarxists like yourself who invoke Goodwins law all the time.

DNA Markers, really?

The Zionists- most of them- are European. The only thing they have in common with the Hebrews is a religion.

And the only reason the world went along with this simply horrible idea in 1945 was because the world felt bad about what the Nazis did, as they should.

But the Palestinians had nothing to do with that, and they didn't deserve to have their land stolen.

Not really.

There are 6 million Jews in Israel. There are 1 million Arabs in the original borders and another 5 million in the 'Occuppied Territories'. Oh, is it okay to still called them the 'occuppied territories', because SHeldon Adelson took CHris Christie to the woodshed for calling them that.

There are an additional 2 million Palestinians living in the countries surrounding Israel. This is why the whole "Right to return" is a big deal.

The Palestinians, like most third world people, have a high birth rate. The Zionists, like most industrialized people, have a low birthrate.

People aren't immigrating to Israel in great numbers anymore. And AMerican Jews, up to this point, the biggest supporters of Israel, are increasingly embarrassed by its behavior.

Not to worry, the Zionists have found new patrons. Fundimentalist Christians waiting for Jesus to come back.

A two-State solution would probably be the best solution, in the short term. In the long term, a lot of these Young Israelis are going to say to themselves, "I understand why Nana fled here in the 1940's, but Hitler's been dead a long time now, and these people want to KILL US!!!"

Invoking Goodwins Law I see and bringing Hitler into the equation.
Now back to your points.............. The majority of the 8 million Palestinians have never lived in Israel or Palestine and are jumping on the gravy train. The evidence points to them being very recent arrivals in the last 50 years or so, others arrived in the previous 75 years from the surrounding areas on the promise of work on Jewish farms.

If the Palestinians were truly a 3rd world people then their survival rate would be much lower than it is, and the population would be shrinking. This shows that either they are not a 3rd world people and have access to medical treatment better than that in the USA or that the population is increasing through illegal migration.

Yes a two state solution is the best option short term and long term, the stumbling block is the Palestinians demands that must be met before they will even talk about peace talks. Very soon the over population will result in epidemics and starvation as nature invokes her laws, and the population will nose dive as they die out. There is already an epidemic of birth defects because of a dwindling gene pool and inter breeding.

Forum List

Back