US insulin charges are the highest in the world

sure, yes, the type 2 diabetics. Such is the way of capitalism; profits before people.
But the type 1 diabetics, this is not the case. type 1 people need insulin at a reasonable cost.
Type 1 diabetes usually occurs when the pancreas gets worn out from overproducing insulin. Because of insulin resistance.

Anything you can do to reduce the body's need for insulin will help type 1 diabetes.

70/25/5 diet, once a day, no dextrose derivatives, and a number of other dietary restrictions.

Type 1 diabetes usually occurs when the pancreas gets worn out from overproducing insulin. Because of insulin resistance.

Anything you can do to reduce the body's need for insulin will help type 1 diabetes.

70/25/5 diet, once a day, no dextrose derivatives, and a number of other dietary restrictions.
type 1 diabetes is typically an auto-immune disorder.
Its the type 2 that is from poor diet and poor exercise.

The only politician I recall who tried to make “sugar” a campaign issue was Michael Bloomberg when he was Mayor of NYC. He was a pretty good Mayor, but I recall the campaign bombed, though I really liked his attack on sugar drinks in schools and everywhere. Later, when he ran for President he bombed there even worse, since he came off as a rich elitist. I think the right made fun of him as another “communist” who wanted to control the size of McDonald’s giant soda drinks. Well, we sure can’t have those Demonrats controlling our precious bodilty fluids!

Actually, hate him or love him, Bloomberg was a brilliant businessman who built his own business empire from the ground up. His news channel is — by U.S. standards — amazingly objective.

P.S. I bought a big sugary coconut cake yesterday, and will have a piece in a few moments. :cool:

Last edited:
You know how much money a pharma company has to spend to get approval?
Marty, they began raising the price of the Canadian created insulin, 80 years after they had sought approval and gotten approval. What were their approval costs back then to make it rise astronomically in 2005 or 2009 thru 2018 and even now?

I will tell you what it appears to me....

Ely Lilly began rapidly raising the cost of the regular old time tried and true insulin, when they began creating their own improved version of insulin.... They needed the insulin of the past to be A LOT higher in price to make Ely Lilly's new insulin that they want to make a gazillion bucks on, appear more affordable compared to the worlwide, Canadian creation used for the last 80 to 100 years.....

Again. I disputed your claims with a link. You have done nothing except make more claims

All your link does is show the total price differences, not the breakdown of why they are different.

Marty, they began raising the price of the Canadian created insulin, 80 years after they had sought approval and gotten approval. What were their approval costs back then to make it rise astronomically in 2005 or 2009 thru 2018 and even now?

I will tell you what it appears to me....

Ely Lilly began rapidly raising the cost of the regular old time tried and true insulin, when they began creating their own improved version of insulin.... They needed the insulin of the past to be A LOT higher in price to make Ely Lilly's new insulin that they want to make a gazillion bucks on, appear more affordable compared to the worlwide, Canadian creation used for the last 80 to 100 years.....

The newer insulin does have the advantage of being far more compatible with a broader spectrum of diabetics. I used to work in a pharmacy, and people at the start of their treatment regimens had to bounce around between the various available insulins until one they could tolerate was found. Remember before synthetic methods became available insulin was made from cows and pigs, and those sources could result in severe reactions to people with systems poorly responsive to said sources, despite the purification processes of the drug manufacturing process.

All I see from the quoted articles is the end results of the price differences, no breakdowns of things internal or external to said costs.

Yes, repugs did vote against it but it remains in the Medicare, they separated private insurance which repugs voted against but the Medicare working remains in the bill.

Don't know what insurance companies these other poster's have but the one I represent has for over 2 years remained $35 co pay for 4 of the major insulin products and have already said they will for 2023.
So fucked up papa disagrees with the truth. But he does tend to disagree with the truth.

Type 1 requires insulin. Poor eating habits increase the need for insulin.
v35qpdzkpvg91.jpg

I dont get this. The $35 was too expensive and the GOP crushed that.
Why do US diabetics get punished for their illness like this ?

Is it because big pharma owns the politicians ?

If they can offer insulin to the rest of the world at a reasonable price why cant Americans get it ?
It looks very much like a "free market" stitch up to me. My insulin is made by a |French company called Saniflo. They are listed on nasdaq as well.

How can they afford to sell it to the NHS at next to nothing and yet charge $90 a phial in the US ?

Somebody is protecting them. As ever the public pays the price, There doesnt seem to be any interest in a regulated market because politicians do not profit from that..

Ummm, we the American taxpayer subsidize your lazy asses.

That's why.

Eli Lilly announced Wednesday a series of price cuts that would lower the price of the most commonly used forms of its insulin 70% and said it will automatically cap out-of-pocket insulin costs at $35 for people who have private insurance and use participating pharmacies.

Lilly says it will also expand its Insulin Value Program, which caps out-of-pocket costs at $35 or less per month for people who are uninsured.

Lilly Insulin Value Program​

Through the Lilly Insulin Value Program, all Lilly insulins are available for $35 a month whether you have commercial insurance or no insurance.*

These savings cover all Lilly insulins.

1 Download Savings Card

2 Print or present mobile device to pharmacist

3 Receive discounted Lilly insulin

I dont get this. The $35 was too expensive and the GOP crushed that.
Why do US diabetics get punished for their illness like this ?

Is it because big pharma owns the politicians ?

If they can offer insulin to the rest of the world at a reasonable price why cant Americans get it ?
It looks very much like a "free market" stitch up to me. My insulin is made by a |French company called Saniflo. They are listed on nasdaq as well.

How can they afford to sell it to the NHS at next to nothing and yet charge $90 a phial in the US ?

Somebody is protecting them. As ever the public pays the price, There doesnt seem to be any interest in a regulated market because politicians do not profit from that..

Capitalism "works", the rich are getting richer, the poor are fucked. See, it "works".

It was mostly republicans that voted to remove the $35 cap on insulin.

With partisans (yes, I know, I'm pointing out the obvious and well repeated fact) will literally argue the same thing is amazing because a Republican did it, and awful because a Democrat did it, or the other way around if it's a Democratic partisan.

/----/

Biden Administration Rescinds Trump Administration Insulin Pricing Rule ...

On December 23, 2020, the Trump Administration finalized a rule that directed the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to take action to require that federally qualified health centers (FQHCs) make insulin and injectable epinephrine available to certain patients at 340B prices. While Dementia Joe rescinded the Final Rule, because he wanted to grab the credit, President Trump’s Executive Order 13937 that laid the foundation for the Final Rule remains in effect. Therefore, HHS noted in the rescission that it is “exploring non-regulatory options to implement the Executive Order.”

Forum List

Back